It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawaii
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:43 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Anyone currently living in hawaii? I'm living on pearl harbor, hi. Just curious cause it'd sure be nice to get together with a fellow kj owner. Really miss my hometown, Albququerque, cause I see folks from there on this board all the time.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nope, but I would come and visit ya. :)
Ahhhh, Hawaii, never been but so want to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm on Maui, is your KJ equipped with the optional ocean crossing floation package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:21 pm 
Optional ocean crossing floation package, That's one mod I don't have. I've got to have it. 8) :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:46 am 
LOST Member

You got the wrong model. Should have got the Cherokee when you had the chance. You don't even have to get the underside wet.
8)

Lived at Camp Stover for 3 years, worked up near NAVCAMS EASTPAC. After 18 months, I was ready to leave. Want to see the 2 sides of hawaii after they live there for a few? Check out this short but cool video.. Sorta of what you think before and after..

http://www.cgclips.com/lipsa-KHET-11-HQ.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:39 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hawaii is really nice, just since I'm not from here it does get to me sometimes lol. Much different fron New Mexico. Miss green chilie on some good new mexican food. lol

Steakgoddess there is a possibility I could get transfered to Maryland in a year or so. Totally fine by me cause it's closer to my gal :D

Lol, wish my kj had an outrigger, then I might be able to make it across to Maui :wink:

That video was sweet man. Gotta love the shots of rushhour on H1, glad I go the other direction most of the time. Of course an accident could change that for me quick. Coast Gaurd dudes sure are hard corps out at sea. Hell, in my rate I could spend my whole career in the navy and never go to sea. Currently I'm stationed at NSGA Hawaii, not many people, service members included really know where it is, basically Schofield, although I live on Ford Island. Racked up 1300 miles on my KJ in a month lol.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:14 am 
LOST Member

Nephew just got off the Kitty Hawk (IT3).. Bootcamp, "A" school then U/W. He decided to bail after 4 years. I'm sure things have changed since I was there but didn't enjoy the trips downtown on Friday nights. Since I worked at the CG Commsta (co-locate w/NAVCAMS EASTPAC Wahiawa), I worked that two 12's, off 48, two 12's, off 72 type duty (Radioman back then, now they are called IT's) Going to the beach was great. Going downtown wasn't too bad and the crowds at Bellows were nil. But late in the evenings.. AVOID downtown at all costs. Wife wants to go back out on our 25th (in 2 years). I'm not too keen on it but what the heck. Had the chance to get assigned to the CGC Rush before I retired in 99 but had 3 kids and didn't want to go OUTCONUS for 14 months. So, ended up in St. Pete. FL instead on a smaller ship. Didn't matter, we were gone just as much (8 months out of 12 underway :cry: ) Howcome you didn't get closer to SFB? Don't they have quarters for married and single people at Navcams?

I'm sure you will enjoy you tour. Just gets a little long when you can't drive anywhere (or be in a hurry). Can't beat the weather though. Hope you find some places to go "off road" and watch the red dirt. It will stain EVERYTHING. Picked up a VW Jetta from Ala Moana VW. Kept it for 14 years before I donated it. It still had the "red stain" embedded in it's undercoating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:29 am 
LOST Member

Ok, one more.. Remember, these were done by average joe's. Wish we could get come KJ action like this..

http://www.cgclips.com/lipsa-FreePlay-HQ.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:24 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Sweet, you coast guard guys are hardcorps out at sea. Average coastgaurdsman certainly gets more sea time than an average sailor. Does have it's downside though doesn't it? They do have some barracks for us at NCTAMS (renamed from NAVCAMS), but we occupy the majority of the barracks on ford island, some army and marines in the barracks too. They have a shuttle that runs back and forth but the times are rather crappy. Our married sailors live on Wheeler I think, can't remember the name of the little community out there. They are planning on moving our facility to NCTAMS by 2010 so I'm sure they will build more barracks out there. It's gonna go where the big antena is. What do they call it? Elephant cage or something?

My shift is 4 swings (1130-1930) 1 day off 4 mids (1930-0330) 3 days off. It's really not that hard, but alot of people whine and moan about it.

Yeah the red clay in that area is terrible, especially when wearing whites lol. My focus was white and when I sold it the paint had a subtle red stain to it. Thankfully my KJ is Patriot Blue so it doesn't show up so bad. The weather is always really nice, even when it's raining it's still enjoyable.

Yeah downtown is a pain in the butt. Too much traffic, too many people, and too many crazy drivers. My parents came out here the first week of july and told me "yeah we can driver our rental car out there just fine, won't be bad at all" then they returned the rental car and I did all the driving lol.

I'm a Navy CTI3, Cryptological Technition (Interpretive). I'm a korean linguist, that's about all I can say lol. My enlistment is for 6 years, not sure if I'll stay in or not. I'll have been in for 3 this Nov.

You coastgaurdsmen have one hell of a job. Definatly have a lot of respect for ya man. Thanks for serving. Sweet movies by the way, I think I might have seen that navy ship towards the end of that last movie doing unrep. At least one like it sits out my window most of the time. Couldn't make out the hull number to be sure though.

Justin