It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel System Cleaning Question.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

I've had a few issues with loss of power, poor MPG lately and sometimes (not often) when I start it it will die right away. than I'll start it and it'll idle rough but stay started than if I shut it off and start it a third time It idles and starts just fine.

I was told it's possibly an injector issues in another thread I made. Some options where to try cleaning, Move from there to a compression test to see if any are leaking etc.

When it comes to cleaning would I just take it to a shop where they hook it to a machine and run the stuff through "Most call it a Fuel System Cleaning Service"? Calling around, that is about $70 or so. Or is that something else and just a gimmick? I know it's not the same as removing the injectors and sending then in to be cleaned or anything.

I've had this service offered to me back when I had my Mazda and would take it to get the oil changed instead of doing it myself but always declined.

Or am I better off just using one of those $5 fuel cleaners in a bottle and saving $65 with the same results? I've been told before those are just snake oil for the most part.

Wasn't sure if I could acheive the same thing with just dumping some Seafoam in the gas tank too or what.

I was going to do that tonight than take it home and clean the throttle body and Change the plugs. See if that helped with anything. Figured I'd get some other peoples opinions before forking out $70 for it. I currently have 100,235 miles the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

Post subject: Re: Fuel System Cleaning Question.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like it might be more than dirty injectors but that may be it. Best I can say is I pay close attention to my mpg on our gas engine vehicles and when I see a noticeable drop off that's unrelated to driving conditions and ambient temperatures I drop by a local parts store and get enough of a brand name injector cleaner to treat a tank full of gas. Always seems to solve the problem and I'm out less than $10.

That $70+ "deal" involves application of a more concentrated injector cleaner solvent directly to the injectors and I would not go that route unless I was positive that would cure your problem as opposed to lining the dealers pocket.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I follow the maintenance schedule outlined by Amsoil's additive, therefore I treat 20 gallons with one bottle every 4,000 miles. Poor quality fuel, inadequate filtration, and higher levels of ethanol can cause a lot of problems if the fuel system is not treated on a regular and consistent basis.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Try the Seafoam trick first, then a couple tankfuls of gas with a high quality fuel system cleaner, like Techron.

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!