It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear bumper cover replacement question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

My '06 CRD is in need of a rear bumper cover replacement... Long story short, I purchased one from my local dealer who is also now my Mopar supplier for most items, and I am wondering if there is a write up and/or parts list of items needed to R&R the rear bumper. Looks like I need some rivets for the lower part of the bumper and the flare area... is there anything else? Anyone have any idea how many clips, rivets etc. that I may need? Sorry if this has been previously asked, posted, brought up, etc. Search was not my friend this AM... plus I am dealing with a screaming 1 month old as I type this, haha. Thanks in advance...

Post subject: Re: Rear bumper cover replacement question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Probably depends on what you need/want to replace. For a start see figure 13-310 of the 06 parts fiche available on http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ . I'm not sure that includes the black piece that serves as a step point on tome of the bumper. That part tends to go gray with weather but can possibly be repainted with a plastic compatible spray paint.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Rear bumper cover replacement question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

I got it done. What a PITA to get those two step pads off and modify them to work on the new bumper. I got a factory bumper cover too. They had "melted" the clips from the step pad to "weld" them to the bumper cover. I had to melt them off with a torch and trim the clips off. I then used a bunch of strategically located 3M double sided trim tape to secure them. I also ended up having to replace the pigtail harness for the license plate light. Would have been easy if it was not for that stupid design of the step pads... Mine were fine, not faded. I have taken great care of the plastics, like everything else, on my Jeep... so far...