It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: left rear window fell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am 
LOST Addict

fallin and cant get up :evil: :twisted:

my first one yeah now I'm in the broken window reg club.

I just put some stuff on the back seat closed the door drove off and pop... look back the window is down and I didn't put it down.

I ordered the Steiger performance kit right away to fix it. hope it comes fast and is not hard to install

Post subject: Re: left rear window fell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not hard at all. Good instructions just takes a bit of time doing the 1st one. Not sure which 06 assembly you have but if it involves a clip that slides behind a ball head to hold things in place be absolutely sure the clip is evenly and fully engaged on both sides of the ball or the ball will pop loose. After that check run window thru about 6 up/down cycles before you button things back up.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine was built in nov 05 so its the same as the older models are that is the kit his site said to order

Thanks for the tip I only hope it ships quick souldnt take too long since it only is from ny to pa and then I can get it done fast I have a trash bag on it now since it broke at work

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

my rear drivers side will pop off when more than 50% down. i pulled everything off the door and put the glass back on and i just dont mess with that window anymore. i dont know if something fell off that was suppose to hold the other side or not but its holding it up now so i'm not too worried about it. i havent had it fall off while all the way up though. and the thing is really easy to get to. if it is like my 04 it only has a little plastic piece about 2" wide, 2" tall, and like 1/2" thick that the window goes on to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Well I ordered it Thursday before noon and it was in my mail box this afternoon, that's pretty quick! Going to try to fix it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

could you get a few pics of the part please? i want to see if mine is missing something. mine is like a plastic L shape. there was no other pieces in the bottom of the door so not sure if mine is missing anything or not. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am 
LOST Addict

HELP

I am having an Issue with the wire harness that clips in to the bottom of the motor assembly. The directions say to press the red latch on the back and pull out the connector, I'm doing that and its not releasing. any trick to getting that free?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ncjeep - take a look at the picture in the installation instructions at http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13001

mikey1273 - I don't recall any problem with that plug but it's been a while. I do recall issues with other plugs with somewhat over complex catch arrangement. In those cases it's usually a) tight fitting which sometimes requires a 3rd hand with an appropriate tool to gently pry the 2 halves apart and/or b) the catch is not quite releasing in which case a small screwdriver may help release the catch. As you have the same mount that's on the 05 the instructions will speak to bending the shaft of the ball stud parallel to the ground. That's ok as far as it goes but hard to see which is why I said be sure the clip fully engages on both sides, in this case of the ball. If things are not quite right the clip won't evenly seat and the stud can pop loose, been there done that but once properly seated they work fine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
ncjeep - take a look at the picture in the installation instructions at http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?SP13001

mikey1273 - I don't recall any problem with that plug but it's been a while. I do recall issues with other plugs with somewhat over complex catch arrangement. In those cases it's usually a) tight fitting which sometimes requires a 3rd hand with an appropriate tool to gently pry the 2 halves apart and/or b) the catch is not quite releasing in which case a small screwdriver may help release the catch. As you have the same mount that's on the 05 the instructions will speak to bending the shaft of the ball stud parallel to the ground. That's ok as far as it goes but hard to see which is why I said be sure the clip fully engages on both sides, in this case of the ball. If things are not quite right the clip won't evenly seat and the stud can pop loose, been there done that but once properly seated they work fine.

Thanks the issue is its me alone and no help here so no 3rd hand have to get it myself I tried a small screw driver that didn't seem to help so I took a break from it as my temper was getting up before I smashed it. going to go give it a try again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:31 pm 
LOST Addict

now I got it all apart the connector was more than the red clip once I looked at it again it got it easy. Now my issue is the plastic parts that broke are in the one end on the spiral cable and there isn't any of it sticking out the run out tube enough for me to turn it counter clockwise and spin out the plastic bits. if it wasn't for that I'd be done not sure now how the get the cable out of the tube with out damage

edit :

I got now my solution to not enough room to twist it to get the broken plastic out was to trim some plastic off the run out tube.(the end is felt covered anyhow) then I was able to use robo grip pliers, twist the cable back work out the plastic bits and move on with the rest of the operation. getting the clip in on the pivot ball was a challenge for a lefty to do because I could only seem to get my right hand in to do it but I got it and now the window works great. I have a pic of the stock part and how it was mangled due to being cheap poorly designed junk I will post later so other can see what happens to it that never had to deal with it yet.

This is the original part and you can see how it failed.

this is what the Steiger Performance replacement kit looks like.... All metal not plastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

So my driver's side rear window failed the other day. I was wondering how long I'd have to wait. :? The guy who sold it to me actually replaced the right side right before I bought it, so it will be interesting to see how long that one lasts (since I know exactly when it was installed).

Anyway, I was getting ready to purchase the Steiger bracket when I came upon one from AM Autoparts for nearly 1/3 of the price (Steiger's is $99, the AM Autoparts one is $36). Anybody have any experience with this autoparts place?

It seems like a pretty basic product (and it's MIND BOGGLING that Jeep made it out of plastic instead of metal in the first place), so I would think it would be a safe bet going with the cheaper one (since it's still metal), but I really don't want to have to keep taking my door apart.

The part number is AM-37391103.

Here's a link: http://www.am-autoparts.com/Jeep/Liberty/WindowRegulators/AM-37391103/503156.html

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm 
LOST Member

I did this a few weeks ago. Same drivers side rear window. I just bought one of the kits off of ebay that already had the end piece with cable installed. Mine broke in exactly the same place as yours.

job took mabye an hour working at a very leisurely pace.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

xhizzous wrote:
I did this a few weeks ago. Same drivers side rear window. I just bought one of the kits off of ebay that already had the end piece with cable installed. Mine broke in exactly the same place as yours.

job took mabye an hour working at a very leisurely pace.

Any chance you could post a link to what you bought?

I'm seeing a bunch of different stuff on eBay, and just curious as to what worked for you.

Also... did you get the part with just another plastic carriage and "corkscrew" (the piece that makes the window go up and down -the piece that breaks on these), or did the part you purchase have an upgraded *metal* carriage?

Thanks! Hoping to purchase this weekend to install next week.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm 
LOST Member

So I'm finally getting around to doing this...

My broken window bracket looks exactly like the photo Mikey1273 posted.

I think I'm going to buy the Steiger replacement, but I'm wondering about all the hoo-ha with machining the head off that rivet, and doing all the rest of the work that involves altering what's there. I'm still not sure why all of that is necessary. It seems like the spring/screw moves freely in its housing and you only need to attach the Steiger bracket onto the end of that coil. I assume I'm missing some important piece of information as to why this is necessary?

I saw a video on YouTube of someone replacing the plastic bracket (albeit with another plastic one -?!) by just bending the metal at the end of the metal channel that holds the tube, removing the rubber plug, and sliding the flexible "screw" out to attach the new bracket. Does this allow one to avoid all that rivet removal, etc.?

Has anyone tried this (bending the end of the channel and removing the rubber plug to get at the coil/spring/flex-screw)? It looks a LOT easier than all the stuff the Steiger DIY PDF suggests doing.

The other option is just getting the window regulator that utilizes a more standard cable system instead of that screw drive.

I have already removed the old regulator, and found that some nit-wit cut out the pin that holds the bracket to the window clip and attached the two pieces with a hose clamp. :shock: I'm hoping I'll be able to put a small bolt in there so I can use the clip to attach the bracket to the window clip as was previously engineered (or perhaps I'll just but the bolt all the way through the bracket and clip holes).

LINKS:

Here is a part similar to the Steiger part for less than 1/3 the cost ($34 shipped vs. $99 plus shipping), though I assume it's crap from china. Still, it's metal and should work better than the plastic OEM part.
http://www.autoandart.com/02-06-jeep-liberty-new-drivers-rear-power-window-regulator-repair-assembly-kit/

Here is the exact same part from the same seller at an even cheaper price (1/4 the price of the Steiger part!) and no shipping charge ($25 and free shipping).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Passengers-Rear-Power-Window-Regulator-Repair-Kit-02-06-Jeep-Liberty-/390616478583?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep|Model%3ALiberty&hash=item5af28e7377&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Here is the replacement cable system window regulator that replaces the "screw drive" originally in the vehicle. It's still a plastic bracket and I'm not sure how well it performs, but it does eliminate the screw drive in the tube that fails in more ways than just the bracket breaking. The exact same part is sold by many places, but this eBay link is the cheapest I've found it. (under $60)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Window-Regulator-w-Motor-Rear-LH-Left-Driver-Side-for-02-06-Jeep-Liberty-/310695184014

The new cable system is certainly an easier fix than all the rivet removal, etc. in the Steiger instructions, and I would have a new motor and parts (though they look pretty flimsy), but it still leaves you with a plastic window bracket, so I'm not sure which is the best way to go. Is the screw drive better than the cable system? I am certain that a metal bracket is better than a plastic one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Regarding the rivet it was not hard to remove. I used my Dremmel tool to grind it off very quickly, then punched the other part out with a nail. If yours broke like my pic then there will be plastic bits in the end of the cable, this will make some difficulty. In the instructions it says to twist the cable counter clock wise I think to release the broken bits of plastic still on the cable. My problem was that I had not enough of the cable on the run out end to get a good grip with vise grips and do that. I had to trim some of the plastic tube off the run out end to be able to turn it. This is ok because there is a felt cover over the end too. Being my first time messing with a power window I got frustrated a little but that's me and how I get. I had to take a break and go back to it a few times but I did get it all apart and back to working in an afternoon, that included coffee and lunch breaks as well as time looking for tools.

The way it works is not real complicated mechanically and now that I know how it all works I will be able to do other windows if needed much faster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

Literally just finished this project...

I ended up just bending out the end of the channel that holds the spring/cable/screw drive (whatever you want to call it) and then removing the rubber plug at the end. You can then take the motor off the mechanism (three star-head screws) and slide that screw drive/cable right out. The broken piece of plastic from the original window clip screwed/popped off the end of the cable easily. I then used a Dremel cutoff wheel to remove the end of the cable, screwed the new window clip on, slid the cable back into the channel, and bent the "cap" back down. I put the motor back on the mechanism and put the whole thing back in the door with no issues.

Easy peasy. No removing pins, drilling out rivets, etc. Took less than 10 minutes not including putting the door back together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all

I know this is an ooooollllllldddddd thread but I was wondering how people are getting on with their cheaper metal ebay window regulator clips??? Finding it pretty hard to justify $200 + shipping to replace both rear clips :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:15 pm 
LOST Member

I have two of the cheaper (but metal) eBay replacements still going strong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:

X3 in my 06 and x2 in my 02.

If you dont wanna fix it, put a big zip tie over the window channel rail

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 am 
LOST Newbie

JeepMorrison wrote:
kidjedi wrote:

X3 in my 06 and x2 in my 02.

If you dont wanna fix it, put a big zip tie over the window channel rail

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Haha great minds think alike :jester: this is exactly what I have done until I get the replacements but wanted to get some feedback with the ebay ones. With summer almost here in Australia, the beach is calling and the windows will be down while cruising :BANANA: