It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trail Etiquette
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:58 pm 

Albert wrote:
Awesome thread you started Terry.

One thing we did on a local trail the first time we were on it was that we got to a wide spot and then the trail narrowed. (3 local jeeps) So we got out and walked it. It kept snaking along got even narrower and dead-ended. It would have been tough backing out of there. I could not count the number of times I have walked trails since that day.

:JEEPIN:

That's always been the way I do things too. When in doubt, get out and check. Especially ever since I nearly sunk my KJ a couple of years ago. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A couple of weekends ago I hit a bunch of dead end trails. The problem was that we were taking trails that had not been used in a long time and some of them just ended. With brush to the top of my roof we didn't have the ability to see very far. But we all did our part and got turned around okay.

Terry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am 
LOST Newbie

LibertyCRD wrote:
Jeepin_it_real wrote:
okay okay guys... listen when you're a pedestrian you hate drivers and you're a drive you hate pedestrians, but i think we can all agree that everyone hates cyclists :twisted:

haha

I trail ride in a jeep, ride a dirtbike, and ride quads. we all love the same dirt for the most part passing the hate on to the "dirtbikers" who the love of off-roading really originated with in the U.S. makes you no better than elitist Wrangler/CJ guys who dis on KJ's just because.... We all seem to of started our love for the trails on 2 wheels for the most part..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kmetz71 wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:
Jeepin_it_real wrote:
okay okay guys... listen when you're a pedestrian you hate drivers and you're a drive you hate pedestrians, but i think we can all agree that everyone hates cyclists :twisted:

haha

I trail ride in a jeep, ride a dirtbike, and ride quads. we all love the same dirt for the most part passing the hate on to the "dirtbikers" who the love of off-roading really originated with in the U.S. makes you no better than elitist Wrangler/CJ guys who dis on KJ's just because.... We all seem to of started our love for the trails on 2 wheels for the most part..

it was more of a joke.. I don't mind some cyclists.... just like to be treated with respect i give others when wheeling, can't tell you how many kids have shot out in front of me on the trails.... I believe we should all share the dirt, maybe it's just the people by me... a lot are kids around here honestly do what ever they want, "tread lightly" is forgotten, and many endanger themselves and you.

a few times I've have to lock up on the brakes or pull some crazy manuever to avoid a person on a bike or quad... and hell I'm only going 15 max... I watch out for them, but i do believe they should also watch out for us when they whizz by going 30+ in the trails

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think a lot of the dirt bike guys speed and tare up the place just because it is so easy for them to do it. There is a off road park close to me that I have gone to a few times...very few. There was a bunch of dirt bikes parked under a shade tree in the parking area. There is a 5mph speed limit in that area. They decided to hit the trail and away they went, wide open and throwing dirt all over the place. They were making ruts all over the place for no real reason at all. If caught they would have been thrown out without a refund, but they were not caught.

I like to have a rooster tail following me too. But there is a right place for that. They were not in a right place.

Terry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am 
LOST Addict

After a few of my friends ending up with dirt bike hood ornaments after riding the trails for years. I have gained a lot of respect for the trail posted speed limits. But most of the time these dirt bikes have no way of knowing how fast they are going or even care. Like last weekend I was using the jeep as recovery vehical for my buddies RTV. It is a big side by side built by Kubota with a little diesel in it. He went off in a puddle he thought with ended up being about 4ft deep. But long story short midway through my first pull i had to stop because a group of dirt bikers came down the trail the wrong way might i add about close to 30 so to keep from getting hit i stopped. Not one slowed down and a few didnt even stay on the designated trail. SO once i got out i reported it to the park service and basically they made it sould like there was nothing they could do about it and that i would just have to deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

According to Tread Lightly! there's no place for a rooster tail on a trail system... just sayin'

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great Thread Terry,

In ad hoc groups where everyone doesn't know each other, I've found it very handy to assign numbers, like in grade school. Makes communication much clearer, "5 is stuck", "3 clear of obstacle" "Radio check followed by a count off" "1,2..."

Not against learning everyone's name, but trying to remember that Andy is the guy in the White jeep 3 vehicles back might take a couple of days for us old guys. I sometimes forget my own name :SOMBRERO:

Another very good practice, Its been mentioned, but wanted to hit on it again -- Your responsible to keep the vehicle behind you in sight. If you can't see him, STOP. This has the effect of stopping or slowing everyone down since the guy in front of you has the responsibility to keep you in sight and the guy in front of him etc. The group doesn't get too spread out.

When going over an obstacle, hill, crest etc that you can't see, if your first in line, walk it. If your not first, make sure the there is plenty of room for you to clear the obstacle before you go, Nothing worse than getting up a full head of steam and finding someone sitting right over the crest, there is no where to stop except on the obstacle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 am 
LOST Member

I have only been "wheeling" a handful of times but I saw a lot trash on the trails I rode on.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am 
LOST Junkie

I usually find that a little "liquid stupid" (alcohol) is that root cause for lack of proper etiquette.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am an avid dirt bike rider and actually race them cross country. I don't ride very many places where we share trials with bigger vehicles. In fact most of the really serious off road guys do the same. We are looking for single track with high degrees of difficulty. Sometimes we connect with trails that a Jeep can get on but for the most part we stay off those simply because they don't present much challenge or simply because its dangerous with all the traffic. The only place I have been where there were a lot of Jeeps on the same trials was in Moab. Even there we found a lot of single track. Guys that blow around slower traffic are idiots and frankly usually squids...yep every form of offroading has them. You guys are rarely encountering the truly serious off road dirt bike riders.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:41 am 
LOST Junkie

I find its best to share a trail with people you know, like and trust. And most importantly aren't drunk. It's not that they would leave me behind if I got stuck. They're simply dangerous to be around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:29 am 
LOST Newbie

4. Respect the environment. Trash in, trash out. In fact take out more than you took in.

This is one of the most important, if not the most important rule! Seriously guys, respect the environment and clean after yourself. Nature is beautiful, and people are ruining it day by day. It doesn't hurt to just keep a plastic bag or something and put the litter in there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

One I haven't seen mentioned yet: if you need to pull over and stop on the trail, pull all the way over.

It should be obvious, but the number of times I've seen vehicles (individually or in groups) stopped right in the middle of the trail, blocking everyone else's path, is ridiculous.

Also, if you are going to stop... For God's sake, don't do it on a blind bend or rise. Get to where someone else has half a chance of actually being able to spot your vehicle in time to avoid it, then pull all the way over and stop.

I get it: things happen. Sometimes you have catastrophic mechanical failures or damage that mean you're going to stop where gravity, momentum, and engineering decide that you will. But if you're just getting out to take a leak, look at a view, pet a mountain lion, or read a map, at least have some common sense as to where you're leaving your vehicle while you do these things.

2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4: 225/75R16 Goodyear TrailRunner ATs, Yeti's Stage 2 tune, and Stage 1 of a Week's Kit (Stage 2 is waiting for a warm, dry weekend to install it on). Mostly just bulletproofing for now.