It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ran to the junkyard today for a few things, then took care of the following:

- At some point after doing the clevis lift, the bolt on the passenger side connecting the lower control arm to the swaybar link spat itself out. No idea why, though I suspect that the torque wrench that I used to install it was being overly-optimistic as to how much it was actually tightening things down. In any event, grabbed a few replacements in case it happens again, replaced the missing bolt, and all seems well after a short test drive.

- Trimmed the air dam per this post in an effort to eliminate the remaining tyre rub. It's now gone when moving forward, but reverse is a different story.

- Changed the oil. 6500 miles goes by quickly when you're driving between both coasts.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Today, I did absolutely nothing to my KJ. I'm just posting this to push the spammers further down the forum.

The thermostat is crapping out, however. Replacement should be here Saturday. I'll be sure to update everyone with that riveting story when I swap it out, again largely to put a worthwhile thread at the top of the forum.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Replaced the thermostat today. The KJ now warms up properly and holds temperature even when the heater is on full-blast.

Replacement unit was a Stant 48799 (190°F) for use with the HDS Model 001 thermostat.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

Replaced the broken AM/FM antenna mount with one I pulled at the junkyard last month. Given everything that's going on right now, being able to receive local radio stations is a must.

Conventional YouTube wisdom holds that the antenna cable must be replaced as part of this repair. What I found is that if only the antenna mount is broken, there's no need to crawl under the dash to replace the antenna cable unless that part is specifically in need of replacement. On both the donor '07 and our '05, the antenna cable plugs into the rear of the antenna mount. It took a little persuasion to get it to come out on both vehicles, but was doable.

What I did was to remove the outer cover from the mount, leaving it bolted up against the fender. Next, the fender was unbolted enough to come in from the top, at which point I grabbed the 90° bend in the cable at the back of the mount with a pair of channel-lock pliers. From there, I carefully worked the pliers side-to-side until the cable broke free, and then extracted it by hand from the rear of the mount. Finally, the large nut on the outside of the fender was removed, enabling the mount to be removed and replaced.

Not sure if this applies to '02 through '04 models, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:06 pm 
LOST Member

I used my Jeep to pull a stump for cleaning a pasture on the farm.Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:55 pm 
LOST Member

I've been working on the thing after ignoring it for about 7 years due to medical adventures. Timing belt, ARP, Provent, and Weeks stuff. It's going well except my cam locating holes don't seem centered in the locating pin holes. They're offset toward the back of the engine. The cam cover didn't get dropped and the dowel pins between the head and cam cover were in place. It went together well so I'm wondering if anyone has run across this before.

I also know a gentleman in Scotland working on one of these with an injector that came apart. He's wondering if anyone has replaced an injector tip since they're available. He might be interested in a used injector. All the shops that deal with injectors where he lives are far away and closed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am 
LOST Junkie

Found all of the misplaced silicone hose I'd ordered last Autumn, so yesterday replaced the rubber vacuum hoses on the turbo vacuum reservoir and solenoid with it. It was a small change, and although the original rubber hoses didn't appear to have any damage there was a noticeable improvement in responsiveness.

Ironically, the reason why they didn't get replaced last year was in a large part due to the weather getting cold and we're now having a cold snap. Both the HVAC vacuum line as well as the main feed from the pump still need to be taken care of, which will happen after this week's cold snap (mixed rain / snow) is over.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

65Corvair wrote:
I used my Jeep to pull a stump for cleaning a pasture on the farm.Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cool workhorse Jeep! You should take some videos.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yesterday was a big day for the CRD - at 159,100 miles, it received a new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, rockers, alternator decoupler, serpentine belt and tensioner, and ARP head studs as well as related gaskets. Geordi deserves the credit for this; he did all of the work.

Have to say that the KJ is running way better than it has at any time since we've owned it. Soot is very significantly reduced, the issues with sub-1800rpm power delivery are gone (though I think another turbo cleaning may be in order), and fuel economy seems to be improved but I'll need to run a couple of tanks through it to know by how much.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm 
LOST Member

casm wrote:
Yesterday was a big day for the CRD - at 159,100 miles, it received a new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, rockers, alternator decoupler, serpentine belt and tensioner, and ARP head studs as well as related gaskets. Geordi deserves the credit for this; he did all of the work.

Have to say that the KJ is running way better than it has at any time since we've owned it. Soot is very significantly reduced, the issues with sub-1800rpm power delivery are gone (though I think another turbo cleaning may be in order), and fuel economy seems to be improved but I'll need to run a couple of tanks through it to know by how much.

Congrats! We would all like to be on the other side of such a thorough CRD refresh. What do you think is the primary factor in the improvement? New rockers? Tighter timing belt? Geordi magic?

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

iakj11 wrote:
Congrats! We would all like to be on the other side of such a thorough CRD refresh. What do you think is the primary factor in the improvement? New rockers? Tighter timing belt? Geordi magic?

Pretty much all of the above. The rockers weren't shot, but they certainly had 159,000 miles on them. However, the timing belt tensioner had moved out of spec, so that was undoubtedly a contributing factor.

There is still something going on in the intake path / around the turbo that's not quite 100%, but knowing that the top end is good will let me concentrate on figuring that out. Going to give the turbo another dose of Easy-Off and see if there's any improvement; at this point, the only part of the intake (other than the turbo) that is still stock is the intercooler, and I haven't looked into that yet either.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

Replaced a croaked in-door amplifier on the passenger side with an eBay shot-in-the-dark used one. Stereo sound has returned, and there was much rejoicing.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612