It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Coolant system building pressure.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,
My son just picked up a 2006 CRD Liberty from a friend of ours. They told us that the head gasket they think is blown. 120k miles. There is air pressure building in the Reservoir. We put a gauge on where the pressure cap would go and watched it slowly climb to 22 psi then we shut it down. Air is being pumped in from the top of the radiator through the 3/8 line that then runs back to the degasser tank. Trying to test all we can before pulling a head off. We put 15 psi in the coolant system and never lost any pressure in 24 hours. Oil is clean. To me, the red coolant looks dirty. Owners before us did the EGR delete and put ne boost tubes on. Runs good. Doesn't overheat. Clean oil. Pulled 3/8 hose off of top of radiator and air is coming out. Coolant does look dirty to me but there is no oil floating on the surface. I am just surprised that it holds pressure so well with out leaking down. Any thoughts? Thanks

Post subject: Re: CRD Coolant system building pressure.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:00 pm 

Jeep CRD Head Gasket Cold Engine Leak Test Procedure:
    1. Engine off, engine cold preferably from setting overnight.
    2. Remove the coolant reservoir cap located on top of the expansion tank to release any existing pressure that is still in the system and then replace the coolant reservoir cap tightly.
    3. Start the cold engine and let it run for no more than 60 seconds, then shut engine off.
    4. Remove the coolant reservoir cap on top of the expansion tank again and listen closely and be attentive to note if any pressure escapes from the reservoir. Even the most miniscule amount of built-up pressure escaping from the coolant system would indicate a head gasket leak or a possible cracked head.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: CRD Coolant system building pressure.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WWDiesel. I was afraid of that but also was planning on it. Thought maybe we were getting lucky and it was something easier.