It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on what Jeep to buy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, I'm new here. As been new, I need a 4x4 vehicle that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg. I have 2 toddlers so the vehicle must have enough space for all their stuff (Which is a lot).

I was looking at getting one of the following:
2014 Jeep Patriot 2.5l Limited Manual or
2012 Jeep Cherokee III 2.8CRD Limited auto AWD

And one more question. Looking for some input on a weight distribution hitch with anti sway control. We are pulling a 30 foot TT with F-150 3.5 Eco boost. I have read a lot on the forums and read this useful article https://truckpowerup.com/ and it sounds like Reese Dual Cam Sway or the Hensley Arrow hitch is the way to go. I like what I read about these because you do NOT have to unhook them to back up and I do not want to go with a friction control hitch. Is one better than the other? Am I missing out on a brand? Any recommendation where I could buy a weight distribution hitch with anti sway control for the best price?

Last edited by Oliri on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on what Jeep to buy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:23 am 

Oliri wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here. As been new, I need a 4x4 vehicle that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg. I have 2 toddlers so the vehicle must have enough space for all their stuff (Which is a lot).

I was looking at getting one of the following:
2014 Jeep Patriot 2.5l Limited Manual or
2012 Jeep Cherokee III 2.8CRD Limited auto AWD

Thanks

Only personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

Skip the Patriot; it and the Compass of the time were essentially disposable vehicles. This did improve as time went on, but 2016 is about as far back as I'd want to go on one.

Re: the Cherokee III (KK Liberty in North America): I have zero experience with that model as a diesel since they weren't sold in this part of the world. However, if you plan on doing any sort of towing, they'll be a massive improvement over the Patriot in that regard. More useable cargo area as well.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

If you want something that looks good but isn't too flashy, then you should go for a Jeep Cherokee. These cars were first introduced back in the 1980s and they still look great today.
(Post Locked)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

Skip the modern stuff, especially 07 and up the quality is [PILE OF POO] I see them in my shop every week and have to put on my shocked face…. I love my Jeep’s but they will never be as reliable as a Toyota to be honest… so get a nice 03-09 4Runner with the 2uz v8 and it will last 3x as long as any Jeep with 1/8 the repairs… if I had to go back and start over I’d have been smart and done this myself but my kJ has become a weekend toy so reliability isn’t such a big deal anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:07 am 
LOST Member

My 2002 Export 2.5 L CRD has just passed its 20th Birthday and is just short of 200,000 kms on the clock.....best vehicle I have ever owned!

Having said that though I would not recommend any body should buy an old Jeep.....you do not know its history....it may have been re-built after a major accident and the servicing may have been suspect.

I have just had the Timing Belt replaced for the 3rd time as scheduled but it was a major mission for the local Dealers to locate the correct part number! :shock:

I agree with the comment to rather buy a Toyota product.....well made and parts and service are easy to get hold of!

I will keep my Jeep for a few more years...I will probably pack up before it does! :wink: