It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone,
I was on the highway going through town today, and something in my transmission/drivetrain went. One minute it was driving normally, and the next there was zero connection between the engine and tires. No noises or anything. I took the first exit and was able to roll into a parking lot. I checked my transmission fluid (which was good, right above full as it should be), and tried reverse and first gear. Nothing. Dad is going to a bring his truck and we'll winch it onto a trailer and get it into the shop. Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking I'll pull the tranny and check my TC and pump, then go from there. Anything I should check before I rip into it that far? I'm planning on upgrading to a suncoast TC and installing the Transgo kit if I have to pull the transmission. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

My other question has to do with the reliability and longevity of this vehicle. I'm currently sitting at 286,000 kms on the odometer. To give a little backstory, I'm 18, grew up on a ranch fixing our tractors and vehicles. My grandpa used to drive this vehicle (my 2006 CRD), and gave it to me a few years ago. It was great for him when it ran, but dad and I always seemed to be fixing it. When I got it I did the timing belt, 5v steel glow plugs, egr delete and yeti tune, transmission oil and filter change, and a couple odds and ends. Will this be a good vehicle? I don't mind working on it a bit (I'd probably get bored with a vehicle that didn't need anything), but I want something that I'm not constantly having to spend money on, and time. So far I've spent 2k or so on this thing, and only put 800 kms on it... and its already broken. And, no, I'm not one of those crazy teenage drivers - its been a gentle 800 kms. I need vehicle that runs reliably. Its my daily driver to work, and this fall its going to have to get me to college. Anyone with more experience have anything to say about this?

Thanks!
~CRD Diesel

Installing Suncoast TC and Transgo

Post subject: Re: Transmission Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:50 pm 

Did you try putting it in 4 wheel drive and low range? If it motivates in 4x4 low range, the problem in in your transfer case.
If you pull the transmission, be sure and replace the front pump assembly, there are wear items in it that wear out with age.
A TransGo and a Suncoast TC are both excellent upgrades. I have both!

When was the timing belt, water pump, timing belt idler pulleys and tensioner pulleys replaced? If you don't know, it should be done ASAP.
Also with your mileage, you are coming up on time to replace all the exhaust valves. (8). They are known for breaking around 200k (322km) and when one breaks off, it will do catastrophic damage to the piston and head. In some cases completely destroying an engine.

As a new owner, be sure and read through Sam's CRD Noob Guide, it contains a lot of valuable information.

This is a list of items and upgrades to be fully aware of:
Quote:
The Jeep Liberty CRD is certainly not a vehicle for everyone unless you are fully capable of performing all of your own vehicle maintenance, wrenching, and performing all your own repairs!
If you have to pay someone else to perform work on this engine and you are lucky enough to actually find someone that is knowledgeable and experienced on how to work on this very unique engine, it can get very expensive real fast!!!
The parts and the labor both can be very expensive$$$!!!
And it gets worse, there are now several essential engine and electronic parts that are no longer available in the North American market by OEM Mopar dealers. If one of these parts goes bad, you are forced to search for either a good used part or figure out an alternative repair.

Below is a list supplied to some other requesters previously, it certainly is not all inclusive, but a good basic list of possibilities to consider... Searching on LOSTJeeps.com, and YouTube you can find informational threads/videos on many of these items along with some 'how to' instructions on them... If you have questions on any of the items just ask, there are many great people on the Jeep forums more than willing to help and answer any question no matter now trivial....

**Timing belt replacement should be number one if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt...
A broken timing belt can cause catastrophic damage as this is an interference engine and repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor...

Never install an in-hose thermostat, it has been reported by some owners who tried it to be a very bad modification that may cause a blown head gasket or worse yet, a cracked head. Not worth the risk!

Some very good updates and mods worth considering as time and money allow:
1. ‡Total EGR system delete! Number one and most critical modification to this engine to improve longevity and reliability.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... L&_sacat=0
2. Install intank fuel pump. (Eliminates all air in fuel problems forever)
http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/default.html
3. Replace *timing belt, idler rollers, tension roller, and water pump
(*if it has not already been done) https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit ... -2721.html
4. Replace all engine exhaust valves if vehicle mileage is approaching 200k. They are known for breaking off and causing catastrophic engine damage when reaching a certain life cycle.
5. If the head is removed for any reason, reinstall using APG head studs, they provide much better clamping and sealing force than the OEM head bolts.
6. Replace *Ceramic Glow Plugs with 5 volt metal ones if it has not already been done.
*Ceramic ones can break off and cause catastrophic engine damage
7. Install ProVent 200 filter on CCV system
8. Replace boost hoses with good quality Silicone hoses
Items 3-8 along with many other parts for this engine/vehicle can be sourced from IDParts.com
9. Install 2-micron secondary fuel filter after stock OEM filter to protect CP3 pump & injectors (must have lift pump installed to run two fuel filters)
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=80139&hilit
10. Change engine oil / filter, use 5W-40 or higher full synthetic diesel rated oil only. CJ4 or higher API rating. Use a 15w40 weight full synthetic oil like Shell Rotella T6 is best in warmer locations. (Install a larger better-quality oil filter and never use 0 weight rated oil in this engine!)
11. Make sure you only use or have the correct HOAT G-05 antifreeze installed.
(Do not use the green stuff)
12. ‡Remove CAT & choke point from exhaust pipe and put in straight piece of pipe in place of CAT (improves exhaust gas flow, lowers backpressure on turbo and improves turbo spool up response time)
13. Replace muffler with straight through performance muffler like a Flowmaster. (Same improvements as item #13)
14. Replace torque converter with a better/stronger unit if OEM TC is slipping. SunCoast TC is a highly rated TC that many have used!
15. Replace transmission front pump assembly if you have the transmission out for any reason. There are wear items in the front pump that cause problems with age.
16. Install Magnefine in-line transmission fluid filter (filters and traps all micro fine metal particles and can be serviced without dropping transmission pan)> https://www.magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Ma ... 810000.htm
17. Replace the flimsy rear upper OEM boomerang control arm with the super heavy duty IronRock Control Arm & mount. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/
Replace all springs and shocks with quality parts like IRONMAN or OME springs and Bilstein Shocks. https://ironman4x4america.com/
(OEM Springs’s sag and get weak over time and shocks wear out)
18. Upgrade tires if needed.
19. Add a good tune to the ECM for more power and better fuel economy.
Some free DYI tunes are available on LOSTJeeps.com Web site.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418
20. Hub bearings, front driveshaft CV joints, and front drive axle CV joints, rear U-Joints as needed.
21. Add an additional transmission fluid cooler and a deeper sump transmission oil pan, especially if you are towing heavy loads in high temperature conditions.

There are some more, but this is a good starting point....
**List not all inclusive but covers most of the main or known failure/problematic items & areas.

‡ Total removal of the CAT and EGR items may not be possible depending on your location and whether or not your vehicle has to endure an inspection. If it does there are some workarounds for both items to disable them completely but leave them in place for visual inspection purposes!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply WWDiesel!
I tried the 4x4 low right away, and that didn't help. Good to know, I'll definitely be doing those upgrades if I have to pull the transmission. Considering how it just suddenly quit working, I'm thinking its an electrical problem. The 545rfe is fully electronically controlled as far as I know, and no gears are working - its like its stuck in neutral. An electrical issue seems like a likely cause. I don't think its mechanical because there was no warning or noises. All the transmissions that I've seen have problems lose a gear or two and start to slip... this one I was cruising down the highway and then it just disconnected. Anyway, any suggestions for how to go about diagnosing an electrical issue with the transmission?

Yep, I did my timing belt, water pump, idler pulleys, and the tensioner pulleys as soon as I got it. That was 800kms ago. I installed bosch 5v steel glow plugs as well when I did my timing belt. Funny story on those ceramic glow plugs; last Saturday I did the TB on Dad's CRD, and the glow plugs. 3 of the glow plugs where split down the middle. There was diesel soot in between the split halves... I can definitely see why the steel ones are better.

I've read the Noob Guide. I've been reading this forum for a while now, just haven't posted much.

Thanks for any input you have!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:21 pm 

Find yourself a good transmission shop that is familiar with these transmissions (45RFE, 545RFE, 65RFE, 66RFE, 68RFE, ect...) and has the scanners, knowledge and experience to diagnose problems associated with them and make the correct repairs.
Having a good transmission person to depend on is invaluable when it comes to diagnosing and making repairs to these transmissions!

:idea: Being you have a second Jeep CRD, you could simply try swapping the TCM (Transmission Control Module) over on the right inner fender for a test.
They don't require any special or VIN specific coding when swapping between like vehicles. (05 & 06 models including some Dodge trucks that used the same transmission)
Basically "plug and play"!

IF you want, you can read through the FSM (Factory Service Manual) troubleshooting section on transmission problems, but unfortunately most of the tests require the Chrysler DRBII scanner tool. But it may give you some ideas where to look?
Jeep Manuals:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Good luck! :POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the input!
I ran through the information on this forum: https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/545rf ... ce.225614/ and used it to diagnose mine. I ended up pulling the tranny, and the pump had lost a few teeth and jammed up. That was my problem. So I have a few questions now:
1) Can I rebuild this pump? If not, I found it on IDparts for just shy of 500 usd, that'll work out to quite a bit in canadian before I can get it here. Anywhere else that would be good place to check?
2) I never want to take this thing out again if possible. I've heard the torque converters in these are prone to failure, so I've been considering installing a different one. What does torque converter shudder feel like? After torque converter lockup I was getting a slight shudder, but thought it was just mud in my tire. Secondly, is there a way to tell if I already have an upgraded torque converter? Finally, if I upgrade, should I go with a suncoast from sasquatch (only place I could find it, is a there a better place to get it?) or should I get a Euro from IDparts, for half the price. I may also get Yeti to turn up my tune a bit if I get a better torque converter.
3) I want to install a transgo kit to firm up poops, and improve longevity. Should I go with the more basic kit like this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 25&pt=8532 or a bigger one like this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 25&pt=8532. Any thoughts?
4) Anything else I should do to it while I have the tranny out?

Thanks for your advice!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:53 am 

I am no expert on these transmissions, but I will gladly share what I know and have learned over the years.

Front Pump:
I would replace the front pump assembly with the newer updated Pump. Not worth the risk of trying to rebuild a damaged pump.
Google the part number, plenty of them available. :google: If you have a local transmission shop, they may can supply you with one at a better price.
Quote:
Transmission front pump part no. 68009879AF
Severe wear of the TC limit valve bore in the front pump housing results in loss of converter release oil pressure. Reduced release pressure at low speed and idle can drag the converter linings, causing engine surge, pulsation or stall.
The torque converter limit valve spring in the 45RFE, 545RFE front pump can often break. This valve limits converter release pressure. A broken spring can cause the valve to become stuck and result in converter clutch release issues including engine stalls at low speeds.

Torque Converter:
SunCoast is the very best; they can also be ordered by calling SunCoast by phone and ordering one. I believe they build them as they are ordered.
I can attest to their value, I have one in my Jeep and one in my Dodge diesel, they are bullet proof.
Quote:
Toll-Free: 800-868-0053
Phone: 850-864-2361
Email: info@suncoastconverters.com

Florida Torque Converters is another one that some members on here have reported getting good results from, and they are a little less expensive than the SunCoast.
Quote:
PLEASE CALL FACTORY TOLL FREE 1-(800)-790-0039
https://www.floridatorqueconverters.com ... 45RFE.html

TransGo Kit:
Most simply install the 45RFE-HD2-A Reprogramming Kit™
It firms up the shifts and increases line pressure some to help with torque converter lockup clutch holding performance.

If your current torque converter was shuddering when in 5th gear, TC locked up, and going up hill, you do not have an updated converter.
You certainly should upgrade the TC while you have the transmission out so you don't regret it later and have to pull it to replace the worn out TC
Don't fool with the Euro TC, some have used them and got poor performance (more slipping/shuddering) after installing one. Not worth the money, time, risks.
Also, some have used a TC for a Dodge Hemi truck that seems to hold up.
You can search this forum to read all about torque converter options and stories as there are hundred of them. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice WWDiesel!
I decided to fix it properly and ordered a new front pump, seals for it, SunCoast TC and a 45RFE-HD2-A reprograming kit. Now I'm a lot poorer, but it should get me to work once all this stuff is in there. Just waiting for it all to arrive.

Once I get my tranny back together, it should be able to handle a more powerful tune. Are there any adverse affects from running a hot tune? I may not get one, because I don't even come close to using the power it has right now... but I'm still considering it.

Thanks again for your input!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 pm 

The only adverse effect of running a hot tune is learning to keep your foot out of it! HA Ha! :ROTFL:
Seriously, I have been running Marco's (Yeti) Stage IV Hot Tune since 2014, eight years now, and other than having to upgrade the torque converter to the SunCoast to be able to hold the power and torque, have had zero issues, only tons of enjoyment.

All the parts you listed is the correct upgrades to make the transmission reliable. Be sure to clean everything real good!
There are a lot of other upgrades that can be done as time and funds allow.
Other than the ones you listed for the transmission, these are a few more common ones if you have not already done them.
Delete the EGR system.
Install intank fuel lift pump
Install a ProVent 200 on the CVC system
There are many more!

I have a whole list of upgrades many owners do if you are interested in seeing the list, just let me know. It has been posted here on LOST previously.
Sending it to you in a PM, check you messages.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sweet! That's good to hear that you've been running the hot tune that long without adverse effects. I'll most likely be getting one soon! Any experience with the winter package Marco offers? He mentioned it when I got my egr delete tune. I live up north so if it makes a significant difference it might be worth it.

Thanks for the list of upgrades! I have a question about the oil grade, why does it say not to use a 0-W40 oil? I'm running Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0-W40 right now. It can get to -30C (or even colder here), so I like the lighter weight for starting in winter. Plus, it's what the owners manual says, so I just went with it.

Thanks for answer all my questions. I seem to have a lot... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:52 pm 

FYI: I am in the hot sunny south so wintertime temperatures never get below freezing very much and when they do it only lasts for a day or two at night.
So, Glow Plug operation is not real critical as it would be for persons living in the cold frigid north during winter time.
I believe some of Marco's tunes modifies the GP heating cycles to help with very cold starting issues, but you would need to ask him to be certain. He is on this forum as "Yeti" so you can email or PM him.

As to oil, I run 15W-40 year round as again cold weather starting is not a big issue and I personally like the better protection of a heavier weight oil in both my diesel engines.
I have a Dodge Ram Cummins and I run 15W-40 or 15W-50 in it year round depending on what is available.

Now if I lived in the frigid north, I am sure thinner weight oil would be in order for winter starting, but I would still run 10W-40 or 15W-40 during summer's warmer temperatures.

Since you are a fairly new member, thought you would like to see this:
Quote:
If you have not read the NOOB Guide, please do so as there is a lot of very useful information contained in it on this vehicle.
See:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature and list your vehicle mods, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to your questions or making comments.
Adding a signature, location, vehicle information, etc... to your profile can also help when trying to answer questions or simply providing advice.
To add a signature, click on "User Control Panel", then "Profile", then "Edit Signature" where you can add your information. See picture :rockon:
Moderator,
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WWDiesel!
I have read the NOOB guide before, and I just added a signature.

I'll ask Yeti about the cold weather package when I get my hot tune made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

CRD Deisel wrote:
Hi everyone,
I was on the highway going through town today, and something in my transmission/drivetrain went. One minute it was driving normally, and the next there was zero connection between the engine and tires. No noises or anything. I took the first exit and was able to roll into a parking lot. I checked my transmission fluid (which was good, right above full as it should be), and tried reverse and first gear. Nothing. Dad is going to a bring his truck and we'll winch it onto a trailer and get it into the shop. Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking I'll pull the tranny and check my TC and pump, then go from there. Anything I should check before I rip into it that far? I'm planning on upgrading to a suncoast TC and installing the Transgo kit if I have to pull the transmission. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

My other question has to do with the reliability and longevity of this vehicle. I'm currently sitting at 286,000 kms on the odometer. To give a little backstory, I'm 18, grew up on a ranch fixing our tractors and vehicles. My grandpa used to drive this vehicle (my 2006 CRD), and gave it to me a few years ago. It was great for him when it ran, but dad and I always seemed to be fixing it. When I got it I did the timing belt, 5v steel glow plugs, egr delete and yeti tune, transmission oil and filter change, and a couple odds and ends. Will this be a good vehicle? I don't mind working on it a bit (I'd probably get bored with a vehicle that didn't need anything), but I want something that I'm not constantly having to spend money on, and time. So far I've spent 2k or so on this thing, and only put 800 kms on it... and its already broken. And, no, I'm not one of those crazy teenage drivers - its been a gentle 800 kms. I need vehicle that runs reliably. Its my daily driver to work, and this fall its going to have to get me to college. Anyone with more experience have anything to say about this?

Thanks!
~CRD Diesel

During that time you should avoid driving your vehicle. This is due to the dangers that come with an unpredictable transmission. If there have been issues with the gears not engaging or slipping, this can cause the vehicle to unexpectedly start shaking when driving. Check out Mopar Online Parts for high quality auto parts and accesories.