It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer case cross member bolt issue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've searched but haven't really found a good answer for my issue. I'm sure someone somewhere has had the same issue at some point.

In upgrading the Torque converter, I removed the Transfer case cross member, and unfortunately the only bolt that sheared off the cross member was the one in the outside part, where it goes up into the frame a few inches before hitting the nut. It's sheared off at the bolt head. So drilling it out did not work, and I'm left with a couple inches of bolt stuck in the hole. I even went so far as to drill through the one hole in the side of the frame, through the spacer to the bolt, and try to cut it out with a cold chisel. Yeah, that didn't work either, it just bent the chisel.

SO, what do I do? Mainly, how horrible will it be if I just use the two bolts on the inside, and leave that one out? Jeep is not used other than my wife's daily driver, and we may now pull a few things with it since I've upgraded the torque converter. Do I drill another hole through the frame into the cab to at least secure it that way? I don't want to spend a week and a grand on playing around with trying to dig a bolt out of this hole and end up still there.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Transfer case cross member bolt issue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:22 pm 
LOST Member

Try Aero-kroil and vise grips if you can reach it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I used the Seafoam Creep, and before it sheared off to begin with, it did turn a good several times.

Is the Aero kroil something that would make it turn better than Creep? I do really need to get that out of there for sure.

Problem is I really need it to be put back together and run, in the mean time. If I mounted the crossmember it would still give me access to the bolt, but just add the width of the cross member. Or at least allow me to get it somewhere that has better tools to remove it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

It's good that it turned a bit.

If you can get a drill on it try a left-handed drill bit (reverse) and it might back out if you're lucky. I haven't crawled under mine to see exactly what you're dealing with so my ideas might not be helpfull.

Maybe Dremel a screwdriver slot in the end?