It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shift interlock solenoid disable
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

The base of my interlock solenoid is broken off of the the main while body causing the shifter not to come out of "Park". I can see that the solenoid can be easily disconnected from the main shift mechanism that keeps it in park. Is there any problem associated by leaving it (the brass metal arm) disengaged from the shift mechanism. The Jeep is a USA '06 2.8 CRD.

TREBAR addresss's the issue in his response in this short thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87298

The "device" acts just like a "shift interlock/interrupt" except it's electronic. "Power" to the device, which is supplied by depressing the brake peddle while the ignition is in the run/on position, allows the brass rod to be depressed into the whitish housing (Dura P/N 1642313a) and the shifter to move out of park. I haven't tried to shift out of "Park" with the battery disconnected but it would seem this device would not allow that to occur unless it "sees" power.

Post subject: Re: Shift interlock solenoid disable
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Found this Information in the Service manual PAGE 21-742 or book page 5174 of 6059

21 - 742 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 545RFE KJ
SYSTEM-BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK
DESCRIPTION
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock System (BTSI), consists of a Park-Interlock cable and a solenoid mounted in the shift lever assembly. The Park-Interlock cable connects the automatic transmission floor mounted shifter to the steering column ignition switch.

OPERATION
The system locks the shifter into the PARK position. The interlock system is engaged whenever the ignition switch is in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position. An additional electrically activated feature will prevent shifting out of the PARK position unless the brake pedal is depressed approximately one-half an inch. A magnetic holding device in the shift lever assembly is energized when the ignition is in the RUN position. When the key is in the RUN position and the brake pedal is depressed, the shifter is unlocked and will move into any position. The interlock system also
prevents the ignition switch from being turned to the LOCK or ACCESSORY position, unless the shifter is fully locked into the PARK position.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM
1. Verify that the key can only be removed in the PARK position
2. When the shift lever is in PARK And the shift handle push-button is in the “OUT” position, the
ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from OFF to LOCK. When the shifter is in any other
gear or neutral position, the ignition key cylinder should not rotate to the LOCK position.
3. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the OFF position.
4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal push-button force and ignition
key cylinder is in the RUN or START positions unless the foot brake pedal is depressed
approximately 1/2 inch (12mm).
5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the ACCESSORY
or LOCK positions.
6. Shifting between any gears, NEUTRAL or into PARK may be done without depressing foot brake
pedal with ignition switch in RUN or START positions.

Post subject: Re: Shift interlock solenoid disable
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

I haven't looked at mine in a long time but I remember the interlock cable can be disconnected at the steering column end disabling the interlock.

The ignition switch actuator assembly has a very small metal piece that can be removed (or dropped and lost) which disables the interlock without disengaging the cable end.