It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: k&n filter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay I'm going to probally beat a dead horse into the afterlife and back with this thread but....
I'm gong to install a K&N filter today and I was kinda curious if anybody has dynoed thier 3.7 w/ the K&N filter and without to see if there is mesurable gain in performance with just the filter. Also I want to know how the "seat of the pants" dyno says about it and if it helped gas milage as advertised.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject: K&N
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

I didn't notice any real difference with the K&N drop in on my 02 KJ, Only advantage is you can clean and reuse. There are other brands that cost less use same design. I don't think I am going to put a K&N in my CRD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:04 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

My drop in did little for my Lib. But IO recently invested in an FIPK from K&N and wow what a nice difference.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:45 am 
LOST Newbie

I didn't notice any real differance. I guess it's just a mental thing for me, it's one of the first things I change with the first oil change in a new car.?.?.

L.O.S.T.#000305
'03 Limited 4x4 Bright Silver Metalic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496132
Lots of factory options, a couple of aftermarket things,
a big ol'car seat in the middle.

Post subject: Changes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:28 am 
LOST Member

What I found was about a 1mpg increase in the city. Nothing else. I did take it out the other day to clean, put in the orig factory filter and I did notice a BIG difference in power. Guess my KN filter was a little clogged? It didn't look too bad but I drove about 900 miles with the factory filter inplace. Got 20.3mpg after 4 tanks. Not too bad but nothing to BRAG about. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:19 pm 
I haven't done extensive testing but the ease and peace of mind having a K&N FIPK is worth it to me.

Post subject: k&n
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay just an update. I dropped the K&N filter in earlier this week and filled up the tank I'm now down to 1/2 tank and have gone about 210 miles. Which is roughly 21mpg and that is quite a bit better than what i have been getting(16 to 18mpg). I do alot of highway miles and my drive to work is less than 2 miles. Just thought I would pass this along and I will update you all here in a couple days when I have to fill again

Parakeet

Post subject: K&N
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:42 am 
LOST Member

I see, no lift. I have an 04 sport 3.7 auto, with 2" lift (at only three months old) and LT245/75R-16 BFG's (load range "E" man their heavy). I installed an Air Raid filter about a month ago, no noticable change in MPG, but it did seem to increase power. I had the computer flashed for the taller tires, and had it checked for fuel system problems in Feb '05. Still only getting 12 city / 16 highway = 14mpg average. my worst to date was in December '04 at only six months old it got 9.8mpg that was 115miles on a half a tank. Maybe I should try changeing the stock steel wheels & heavy BFG's for some aluminum wheels & lighter (load b or c) tires, this would take about 30-40lbs off of each corner = 120-160lbs total. It now has just over 10,000 miles and has never gotten any better as it broke in.

Post subject: K&N filter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay the first tank after the K&N filter got almost 21mpg. The filter made a difference as far as I'm concerned. I was use to seeing 17 to 19mpg. The KJ feels a little peppier off the line and on the highway seemed to move just a shade quicker. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it was a fluke but I drove mine just like I always do. In fact I might have been a little heavier on the skinny one. Just my observations so far.

Parakeet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I noticed no change in milage with the K&N replacment filter or the Magnaflow muffler. However when I installed the FIPK I saw a 2 mpg improvement in milage.

All the Skid plates
Rocky Road Steprails
ARB Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
The Frankenlift 2.5" Lift
Jeepin' By Al Upper A-Arms
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
P245/75R16
LLL=16.0
Limited slip front/ARB rear
4.10 Gears

Post subject: caution
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For those of us out West:

About a year ago I worked for a guy who races (and consistently wins his class) SCORE and Best in the Desert. He said dropping in a K&N or something similar was the worst thing you could do to your engine here in the southwest...that they let in too much particulate for what's frequently carried in the air here. I asked him what he ran and he said "stock filters". Stock filters on a $150,000 truck that wins most of the off-road races it enters? Good enough for me!!

Also, there was a thread on another board (can't remember which/where) that had an interview w/an engineer who had worked on the intake system of the Liberty and he said the stock intake system already brought more air in than the engine could use and that there was no dyno anywhere that showed measurable increase in hp after switching to an aftermaket intake. If anyone knows where to find that interview or could weigh in with some data........??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:36 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Seth, all that goes against everything that is known about the K&N product line.

As I said earlier in this thread my FIPK raised my mpg an easy 1 mpg but typically 2. This is due to the obvious (you can feel it) performance increase. Others have similar stories.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"everything that is known"? or everything that is assumed? I'm ready to learn so please post some numbers that aren't from a mfg's site.

The DC engineer who claimed the stock intake brought a greater volume of air than the engine could use....I don't know him and don't have a degree in fluid dynamics. However...I honestly believe that someone who races and wins in some of the most punishing desert environments on earth and who insists that after-market high-flow air filters allow more particulate into the engine..that person's opinion should be considered. All of the particulate tests I've seen (I'll find a few of 'em) show K&N allowing more particulate than stock (paper) filters.

Numbers please....dyno results (increase in HP won't surprise me) and particulate results (I'll be surprised if K&N traps as much as OEM).

I'm not trying to start a war....I'm ready to look at some good data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but you may find some of these links interesting:

http://www.youngs.org/kjparts/default.asp?category=10

I have a K&N drop-in filter that I swapped out for a paper filter (Wix). I just don't trust the K&N to handle all of the dust that you pick up on the trail.

And I am skeptical about claims of 1-2 mpg. I gained over 2 mpg when the local gas stations switched from the winter blend of gasoline to the summer blend. I can increase my mileage by another 2-3 mpg by dropping my freeway speed from ~76 mph to ~70 mph. Adding acetone to my gasoline gave me an increase of anywhere from 0 to 3.5 mpg, depending on driving conditions, fuel mixture (summer vs. winter) and octane, water level in the Great Salt Lake, and my own biorythmic cycles. Fuel economy is impacted so heavily by so many factors, 1-2 mpg seems to be within the margin of error.

But like someone told me when I was on my acetone kick, if it works for you, go for it. There are too many people who are religiously devoted to K&N intake products for me to call them snake oil.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject: K & N filters
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

Several years ago we tested a large variety of filters on a machine that used clear piping and a JP5 particulate filter disc to catch particulate and an atmosphere to downstream pipng differential pressure gauge. We used filters all from the same vehicle as far as part numbers went. Everything there beat the K&N particulate wise. You could see it in the piping and all over the white JP5 filter disc. Many filters were only visible particulate passers on the filter disc. The Donaldson filters and the Amsoil dual foam seemed to work the best in both arenas. Maybe there is a reason why Amsoil backs their oil for 100,000 miles if you use their filters with the bypass filter. Used the tricare systems on one of my trucks and it had 277,000 no teardown, home maintenance on the original gas engine when I sold it, and it ran great. Oil never got darker than mid brown and there never was a drop of sludge or gunk in the engine ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's the Jerry Bransford quote that I had read before re: the engineer at Jeep saying the Jeep engines pulled more air than the engine could use. My favorite link is the one to the ISO independent test showing the K&N filter being the worst as far as catching dust.

Post subject: try this
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:49 pm 
This member has been Banned

:roll: http://www.thefergusons.us/kj/kj.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the1jferg: off-topic but....what's the scoop on that solar battery charger? do you only connect it when you're out in the boonies and parked or is it an install?

Post subject: Answer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:03 am 
This member has been Banned

I'm retired so I don't drive much. It keeps me topped off pretty good.

Actually, I got it for my chevy PU because it eats batteries when you ain't using it.

It actually charged a dead one enough to crank in short time

Post subject: Re: K & N filters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:24 am 
LOST Member

spoonplugger1 wrote:
Several years ago we tested a large variety of filters on a machine that used clear piping and a JP5 particulate filter disc to catch particulate and an atmosphere to downstream pipng differential pressure gauge. We used filters all from the same vehicle as far as part numbers went. Everything there beat the K&N particulate wise. You could see it in the piping and all over the white JP5 filter disc. Many filters were only visible particulate passers on the filter disc. The Donaldson filters and the Amsoil dual foam seemed to work the best in both arenas. Maybe there is a reason why Amsoil backs their oil for 100,000 miles if you use their filters with the bypass filter. Used the tricare systems on one of my trucks and it had 277,000 no teardown, home maintenance on the original gas engine when I sold it, and it ran great. Oil never got darker than mid brown and there never was a drop of sludge or gunk in the engine ever.

Holy filter batman.. Geez.. By the time you buy, add, buy and add more, think it would be best to just stick with FRAM. I removed my K&N filter to clean it. Dropped in the factory filter for the meantime. I noticed a bit boost in power. After driving w/the orig filter for 900 miles, put K&N back in. Noticed today it's starting to feel a little "starved for air" so I'm thinking about just taking out the KN and sticking with Fram.