It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conferr roof rack and AllJ mount
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:27 am 
LOST Addict

Clint, you mentioned on jeepforum.com that you have a Conferr roof rack with the AllJ mount. Could you explain a bit about the AllJ roof mount, or maybe show a close-up picture of how it mounts to the roof and how the rack goes on top of that? It looks like you take the factory side rails out, right? Does the AllJ mount bolt into the holes that are left behind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

YEs, the Con-ferr rack is welded to the new rails that cross over the roof and bolt down to the factory mount points. All J used my old rack mounting for the idea and basic design. It is a great way to get a nice rack on your roof.

hehe...i said Nice Rack!! :lol:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

JJsKJ wrote:
YEs, the Con-ferr rack is welded to the new rails that cross over the roof and bolt down to the factory mount points. All J used my old rack mounting for the idea and basic design. It is a great way to get a nice rack on your roof.

So ... one way to do it is to:

(a) remove my factory side rails
(b) give All J a call and order their "liberty roof rail mount" kit (is there a name that they know it by?)
(c) finalize the deal with the eBay guy
(d) mate the rack to the mounting kit

If I read your post correctly, you actually weld the rack to the cross rail for (d), right? Well, hmm, I'm out of luck then since I don't know how to weld anything. Unless I can interest you into helping me out :D

By the way, I also have ideas for jerry can/water can holer, and pull-out awning for shade and shower. Are you interested? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wish I had the time to help you out, but I have a lot going on right now.
Not sure if ALL J would just do the mounts or not, they normally come w/ the Conferr rack. Ask em. I imagine you could get away w/ u-bolting the rack to the mounting setup as an alternative.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Dirty,

The rack on my rig, if you remember, is the All J setup.

They also add in an expanded steel mesh which has about a billion weld points. In addition to weling it all together, including the mounting points, they have the unit powdercoated. I did not have mine powdercoated because I was in a hurry to get it. I will probably do this in the near future. :wink:

I strongly recommend that you get the whole thing from All-J. In the end you will have a better product with less hassle.

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:02 pm 
LOST Addict

02LIBRT wrote:
I strongly recommend that you get the whole thing from All-J. In the end you will have a better product with less hassle.

Later,
J

Do you have a pic of the unit, and how much did it cost at the time? All-J doesn't list the rack in their Liberty section, strangely enough. You'd think they would organize the website a little better, but I'm just griping :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

JJsKJ wrote:
I wish I had the time to help you out, but I have a lot going on right now.
Not sure if ALL J would just do the mounts or not, they normally come w/ the Conferr rack. Ask em. I imagine you could get away w/ u-bolting the rack to the mounting setup as an alternative.

Understood :D Do you still have the measurements for the mount? Another way is for me to give the eBay guy the specific measurements and have him do the mount and weld it for me. I know I'm taking some risks here, but if this works out ...

I'm in the research stage at this point. Eventhough the choice of vendor/product is still up in the air, I do know that I will get one.

Thanks for your (and others') help so far. Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:53 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
Do you have a pic of the unit, and how much did it cost at the time? All-J doesn't list the rack in their Liberty section, strangely enough. You'd think they would organize the website a little better, but I'm just griping :x

I probably have a pic of the kj with the rack on it but not of the rack alone... I will see what I have tonight when I get home. ...Stupid job!

It was in the ballpark of $500. You should email Quinn & Steve (info@boulderbars.com) for a precise quote.

I would not do this via ebay. If not ALL-J, find another local shop to do the work for you.

Later,
Jason

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:18 pm 
LOST Addict

02LIBRT wrote:
It was in the ballpark of $500. You should email Quinn & Steve (info@boulderbars.com) for a precise quote.

I would not do this via ebay. If not ALL-J, find another local shop to do the work for you.

Later,
Jason

I called Quinn before I went to lunch and we brought a couple of items up to date. Next week I'll be going in to get my '05 boulder bars (Quinn said they decide to lengthen the bars by couple of inches to go to the flares too). I'll post pics when I have them. Second thing we talked about was for the mount only. He was willing to sell me the mount and weld it to the rack should I go that route. While I had him on the phone I also asked about possibility of other attachments. :D

It *looks* like it will be a combo of eBay + All J work. I do like the fact that I don't have to get a cross-rail.

I'll go ahead and update the other thread too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
I called Quinn before I went to lunch and we brought a couple of items up to date. Next week I'll be going in to get my '05 boulder bars (Quinn said they decide to lengthen the bars by couple of inches to go to the flares too). I'll post pics when I have them. Second thing we talked about was for the mount only. He was willing to sell me the mount and weld it to the rack should I go that route. While I had him on the phone I also asked about possibility of other attachments. :D

It *looks* like it will be a combo of eBay + All J work. I do like the fact that I don't have to get a cross-rail.

I'll go ahead and update the other thread too.

Good deal! That Quinn is some kinda' guy! Pretty cool of him to do that. Especially with how busy he is lately.

Are you going to get him to put a floor in it as well or does it already have one? He has a really good powder coat guy too, if you decide to go that route.

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just one thing to keep in mind guys...

The rack mounts is not an off the shelf item that All J Products stock. They only did these as a custom item for local guys. Even if you bought the mounts from them...you are still going to have to weld it to the rack...again this is not some mount you can just go buy so that is the reason they are not listed on their web site.

Another thing to please keep in mind. The ebay racks are good but you will need to have a welder. these racks do not come with mounts, flooring, tire mount, painted or powered coated, ect, ect.

I know you might think you are saving bucks but... not sure if you really are unless you have the welder, expended metal for flooring, able to weld up some mounts and things like that. yea for the guy with a welder in the garage and has the time and materials...not a problem...but please be caeful when you buy something that is not even close to what others sell.

The rack that All J sells, has the mounting, expened metal floor, jack mount, tire mount, powered coated... I would hate to see a bunch of guys go out and buy a bare bones rack... not knowing they still havd a lot of work and expense to go.

KE7JLP

Post subject: Re: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:58 pm 
LOST Addict

skrracing wrote:
Just one thing to keep in mind guys...

The rack mounts is not an off the shelf item that All J Products stock. They only did these as a custom item for local guys. Even if you bought the mounts from them...you are still going to have to weld it to the rack...again this is not some mount you can just go buy so that is the reason they are not listed on their web site.

Another thing to please keep in mind. The ebay racks are good but you will need to have a welder. these racks do not come with mounts, flooring, tire mount, painted or powered coated, ect, ect.

I know you might think you are saving bucks but... not sure if you really are unless you have the welder, expended metal for flooring, able to weld up some mounts and things like that. yea for the guy with a welder in the garage and has the time and materials...not a problem...but please be caeful when you buy something that is not even close to what others sell.

The rack that All J sells, has the mounting, expened metal floor, jack mount, tire mount, powered coated... I would hate to see a bunch of guys go out and buy a bare bones rack... not knowing they still havd a lot of work and expense to go.

I realize where you're coming from, but it wasn't the money savings that was the case for me (well it is money saving compared to Hannibal, but that's not the point). I don't like the look of the Con-Ferr rack :D There's been more than one occasion already where I bought something I didn't really like from the beginning and end up regretting it ....

Does the All J rack *already* include jack mount, tire mount already? I didn't ask those specific questions ....

I know about the unpainted state it comes in. Since I want mine white, it didn't seem to be a problem. If All J can powercoat theirs white, I'm game. Will check with Quinn when I get there next week for my boulder bars.

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No... the rack mount is just a custom mount ...that HAS to be welded to the rack and then it will bolt to the roof of a KJ. It is a custom setup. It does not come with the tire mount. Does not come with a jack mount. does not come with with light mounts or any other kind of mounts or the floor.

The ebay rack only has some 3/4 X 3/4 tube that goes the length of the rack. It might be 1X1 not sure.. but does not have any of these mounts either. no legs or mounting system at all. Just wanted to be sure that a bunch of guys did not go out and buy the ebay rack and when it gets to the front door they dont understand why it just won't bolt on.

Believe me I understand that you might like the look of some other rack...that's cool...Just wanted everyone to understand the mount problem with racks.

The ones that All J Products did for the custom set up... you remove the stock cheap plastic rails and then bolt theirs in its place. But then again...you will have to weld all the other stuff on the ebay rack so you might as well go ahead and build the mounts as well. Don't forget your antenna mounts also. Hope that helps. later...Clint

KE7JLP