It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tow Hitch Question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am looking into getting the trailer hitch for my Liberty. How many of you have done the aftermarket thing and how hard is it? I'm guessing I have to buy the hitch and a wiring harness. Is the wiring plug and play? Also I was wondering if any other DC models' hitches can be interchanged on the liberty or did Jeep in their effort to make lots of money engineer different hitches? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found someone on a board parting out take off items from his traded in liberty. He had an OEM hitch and harness for $200 shipped. Hitch went up with four bolts, put it up myself, but two people would have been easier. Harness was awesome easy and plugged right in behind the rear inner panel on the right side (which popped right off). The factory hitch is the only one that has a plug mounting bracket welded on, and looks the cleanest in my opinion. Some of the others sell a bracket for the plug, but it is attached with hose clamps/tie wraps around the hitch. Make sure to at least get one that is hidden up under the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

I have a generic Rees hitch that I picked up from Wal-Mart for $90 and bought a wiring harness online for around $50 or less (can't remember the exact amount). Wiring harness plugged right in bedhind the rear right panel. I don't have a mount for the plug on the hitch so I just tuck it up inside the rear bumper and pull it down when I need it.

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject: Hitches
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Vey simple to in rear, a little harder in front. Draw-tite #75128 out back and #65042 in front.

I used the MOPAR 4 pin wiring harness and is was so simple. Pop the read sides loose. pull out the floor plug, plug in the new harness, push in the new floor plug, then you're done on the inside. Outside push the plastic clips in the hole on your KJ, attach the enclosed plug holder for a finished look and you are done. Took me 90 min to do the hitch (was lotsa dirt in the bolt holes) and 15 min to do the harness.

Front hitch comes with all the plastic rivets to replace the one your cut to remove the bumper cover.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:03 pm 
I went with Hidden Hitch in the rear. It was a easy install. Btw; the HH has a welded on plug mount. The reason I went with a rear hitch was for a recovery point. I have no plans to tow trailers.