It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Head Gasket problems???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2002 sport with 78,000 miles onit and I think I may have a bad head gasket. I am leaking about a 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze evry week or so and I can't find it leaking anywhere. Has anyone had similar issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

Have you checked the overflow bottle to see if there is oil in it or pulled the dipstick to see if there is antifreeze on it? You may just have some other problems. Freeze plug leaking, overheating and evaporating. Just some ideas

Post subject: Head Gasket Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, I will check that out. But, I did notice what I thought to be a little tint to the oil on the dipstick. Also, she doesn't seem to be running well either, she seems to chug a little when I first start it up. This may be the plugs though, I havent changed them since 36, 000 miles, lol. I will re-post when I find out what's wrong with it. I am just a little paranoid I guess since I know Dodge/Jeep does have a rep for head gasket issues, at least that's what my mechanic says, lol. I'm going to pressure test it tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
Have you checked the overflow bottle to see if there is oil in it or pulled the dipstick to see if there is antifreeze on it

Like he said, check the dipstick for presence of coolant in the oil or change the oil and have it tested for antifreeze. I would think with that amount of coolant leaking into the engine everyweek, you KJ would not be running to well if at all. Check the hoses too and the overflow bottle, maybe it is leaking out when you are driving. Look around the water pump and thermostat area for leaks.

Good Luck. I remember when I lost a freeze plug in my XJ, I had to pull the head off to get access to it and found a 1/8" hole in the plug.

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again for the advice. Love the new forum by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm 
LOST Member

I would definately check the oil carefully. Coolant and Motor Oil do not play well together. Once you find the cause of the leak, I would have the oil changed (perhaps flushed) immediately and make sure you get all that coolant out of there.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Check your spark plugs and make sure there is no coolant in any of the cylinders too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was using a lot of coolant, not that much but a lot, with no sign of a leak. Turned out to be a pin hole in the radiator. That was at about 95,000 or so miles, new radiator, no problems since.

2002 KJ, Stone White, 4WD, Off Road Group, Selec Trac, Trac Lock, Fuel/Transfer/Tran Skid Plates, Tow Group. Spider rock guard, K&N filter, 2.5 lift, roof rack and boulder bars by All J Products. L.O.S.T. #000091 and LOSTKJWEST member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I developed a pinhole leak in my radiator near the top on the driver's side. The air going under your hood can actually cause it to settle on the battery terminals. Corrodes them very quickly. I had a 3 core aluminum radiator put in and it solved the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:33 pm 
LOST Member

KY Liberty wrote:
I developed a pinhole leak in my radiator near the top on the driver's side. The air going under your hood can actually cause it to settle on the battery terminals. Corrodes them very quickly. I had a 3 core aluminum radiator put in and it solved the problem.

I had the same thing! The dealer tried to say that something must have hit it while 'offroading'. I threw a big fit and challenged them to show me how ANYTHING could get to that spot on or off road not to mention with enough force to cause a hole like that. In the end it was replaced under warranty but it was not easy...

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject: Leak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, I have been checking the oil and overflow for any signs of mixture and can't find any. I did check the radiator and it does appear to have a small leak because it has some spots on the bottom of the fan shroud and after reading the latest posts here, my negative terminal on my battery was very corroded. Anybody know where to get a good radiator at a decent price?