It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Factory Rock Rails
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

Has anyone installed the factory rock rails on their KJ. I have a set on my 04 Renegade, but I am trading someone for there Boulder Bars since they are no longer going to wheel their KJ hard anymore. A set of instructions would help with the installation of the rails onto his KJ and possible give me an idea of what parts I need to get and what tools will be needed.

Thanks

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject: mopar rock rails
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:55 am 
LOST Member

I picked up a set of mopar rock rails on ebay for $175. They bolted right on in the same holes as the tubular side steps that the 03 renegade came with. I then went 4 wheeling at Paragon and bounced around on some big rocks. I scraped them up pretty good, and dented one, but they held up just fine. I installed them in about 20 minutes,, very easy.

3" Lift 265 Cooper Discoverer S/T
Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

The difference between me and a madman is: I'm not mad! (Salvador Dali)

Post subject: Rock rails
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:39 am 
LOST Member

Spel,

Do you know if the holes were there before from the side steps? I am thinking about putting them on my virgin KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you guys are going to be wheeling more than once a month, i would advise against getting the Mopar Rock Rails, and go for something a bit more stronger like the Boulder Bars, or another aftermarked Rock Rail. The Mopar ones just don't hold up, just ask Hoss!

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I beat the crap out of mine on a ton of rocks in Paragon. Lots of scraps and dents but they did the job. I am going to upgrade later though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:42 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
Spel,

Do you know if the holes were there before from the side steps? I am thinking about putting them on my virgin KJ.

Yes, the holes were there from the side steps. Used the same bolts from the side steps. I have no idea if a sport or limited would have these tapped holes,, my guess is that all kj's have these tapped holes. I'm glad I had the rock rails for my first trip to Paragon, but I still dented the rocker panel real good. Battle wounds I guess, which I promptly covered with Mopar touchup paint. Can barely see it now. Even picked up some silver touchup paint to cover the scratches and gouges on the rock rails,, had to file down the burrs first :shock:

get muddy

3" Lift 265 Cooper Discoverer S/T
Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

The difference between me and a madman is: I'm not mad! (Salvador Dali)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

The holes for the mounting points are there, but they are not tapped unless you already had the side steps or the rock rails. The holes are hex shaped and require the installation of nutserts or threaded inserts. I was going to take them off my KJ and put them on another KJ that was going to see nothing but the road. However, he sold his KJ and know I dont have to worry about reinstalling the rock rails on his KJ or about finding the correct nutsert(M8x1.25).

To top that off he kindly took off his boulder bars and he is going to sell them to me at a real good price.

Brian

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THAT WHO NEEDS ENIMES