It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CO2 Bulk tank used to fill up tires
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

Do any of you, who carry full bulk co2 tanks in the back of your Liberty, worry about having a safety disc burst and cause an accident? I know it could happen, but I wonder how often it really occurs.
Mine is a 10# aluminum tank, I love the convenience and peace of mind of knowing I can "air up" anywhere, I just worry about a possible discharge. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

A friend had his burst disc go when he use to carry his CO2 tank inside. Completely fogged up all the windows covered everything. Generally they will only let go in an overfill condition so my advice is to weigh it after each fill and bleed some off if it is over weight. His went when it was parked so there was no concern; but I would hate to see what would happen if it went while driving. Every window frosted in seconds; and it was pretty startling to hear it go even from outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a burst disk go on me. I was driving from the fill station with a 5lb tank in the back (used for beer dispensing also, mmmmm..) Anyway... tremendous pop and a lot of snow in the car, but not a big problem. I rolled down the window--that's CO2 don't forget...the stuff we EXHALE. :)

The burst disks are designed not to let any projectiles out and the cylinder will not go flying like in the movies, so don't worry about that. I would avoid hanging around in the car or being directly in the spray (it's REALLY cold), but if it's not sitting in your lap, you'll be OK till you can pull over. Just make sure you roll down the windows 'till you get out.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

i have had one in my car since christmas and no probs. I love having it. I also carry an impact wrench, air rachet, tire chuck and air blower. I use it so much and it lasts a long time on 10lbs.

Chris

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:46 am 
LOST Addict

I used to play comeptitive Paintball. We use Compressed Air (Also known as Nitrogen in the paintball community) and CO2. I played paintball for 3 years and never had one of my burst disks go. I filled my tanks myself and actually did overfill a few tanks when I first started filling. Like it has been stated before, make sure you weigh the tank after filling. It is always a good idea to bleed the tank after it has been filled as a safety precaution. :wink:

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4