It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aftermarket exhaust or not?????
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hey everybody i was just wondering if there is even a reason to add a aftermarket exhaust system. i have heard that the liberty already has a 2.5" pipe and it is mandrel bent. just wondering if this is true.....and if it is should i just get an aftermarket muffler? i want it to sound alot deeper so i was thinking about the flowmaster 40 series or the hushpower. please give me some advice.

thank you

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:39 pm 
LOST Member

Lots of people do just the muffler. I'm waiting for my exhaust to get wrecked to do the full cat back. Some of the cat backs have fewer bends in the pipes. Hard to cost justify a cat back on gas savings.

My big concern with just doing a muffler is based on prior cars I've had. My mufflers have been solid and lasted a long time but the pipes rusted out in a few years. Then you replace the pipes and you have a new cat back anyway. Its probably cheaper to buy the whole thing at once and install it. Cash flow would certainly be better doing it piece meal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

it may rust out in a few years depending on where you live/drive. id personally just do the muffler. i picked up my flowmaster 40 on ebay brand new for $55 plus 10 shipping. if you wheel with an aftermarket exhaust, your likely to crush the exhaust tips. if your looking for sound and durability, get a flowmaster, its a skid plate in and of itself. 40 is loudest, 50 is quieter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:20 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

quivvy: what's the part number on that 40?

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:35 pm 
LOST Member

Everyone (including myself) seems to enjoy the sound of my Flowmaster D40. Other than that, it changed nothing significantly for me.

07 Ram 1500 RST 5.7L LOST #584737
Regency Custom Pkg - Black leather with red baseball stitching, 22" Foose "Speedster" wheels & Pirelli Scorpions, Brushed Aluminum gauges, roll pan, dual exhaust, lowered sport-tuned suspension, 4W Baers, BedRug, power everything
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/ltwgs

Post subject: Re: aftermarket exhaust or not?????
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:17 pm 
GIJOE4LIFE wrote:
hey everybody i was just wondering if there is even a reason to add a aftermarket exhaust system.
A good reason would be when the OEM system goes bad. :wink:

Post subject: 40 series
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

does the 40 series work well with the 3.7 or does it sound like crap. i didn't know if the 40 series was only for V8's or not. i was also considering the hushpower. has anyone heard anything about this muffler.

thank you

brian