It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Automatic door locks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was in southern utah (hunting) and just before dark i got out of my jeep to set up a trail cam....Dang doors locked! jeep is running,lights on. after a couple hours of trying to open it i borrowed my dads jeep and made a 6hr trip home and back to get my wifes keys. Can the auto-lock feature be disabled?

Flame Red
cb, full armor
"If you're not living on the edge...You're taking up to much space!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had that "feature" killed about a week after we bought the Liberty. The dealer can program it for you.

While you are out, have a spare key made and hide it on the Jeep somewhere. If you have the theft deterrent system (gray head on key) you can use a regular key for a spare. It will let you in but won't let someone steal your Libby.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

yah.. in the EVIC you can set it.. check your manual its in there.. thats why whenever on trail or anywhere and i have to get out w/jeep running.. i roll down my windows.. i learned my lesson w/my older car.. i accidently shut the door and came back it locked me out.. took forever to find my other keylock transmitter but then it wouldnt unlock the doors with the engine running all it would do is unlock the trunk.. remove all my stuff and then crawl thru backseat to unlock door.. PHEW.. learned right there no matter what.. roll down window just enough to get my hand in if i EVER leave any car running now :)

L.O.S.T. #123321

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I thought the auto lock only happens in drive after going >15mph? Am i wrong or am i missing something?

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I didn't realize it would lock itself after a set period of time even if there's no movement. How long was the wait period before it locks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Guyute1210 wrote:
I thought the auto lock only happens in drive after going >15mph? Am i wrong or am i missing something?

No your not wrong. I guess i pushed down the lock when i got out. i jusy wish the other doors were unlocked!

Flame Red
cb, full armor
"If you're not living on the edge...You're taking up to much space!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:14 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

that hapened to me when i was stopped at an accident on the freeway

had the hazards flashing lights on all doors shut and the damm thing locked it self :evil:

i was lucky the wife and i had a fight in the morning and she took the spare keys with her :lol:

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you got a evic (which you probably don't cuz it's a sport) there is an option to open all doors when you open your door. You can install one in your sport pretty easy, matter of fact I will help you. But if you can't wait you will need to go to the dealer and they will have to hook it up to the computer and disable it that way.

I hate that feature.. I mean, fine lock when driving, but when I open my driver door I want to get my stuff out of the back WITHOUT pushing the key on the remote, dosen't seem like a hassle but it is.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:03 pm 
LOST Member

If it's an '02 the only way to change the auto door locks is to go to the dealer, even if you have the trip computer :roll: Krazze1e, got any idea on what it would cost to update the EVIC in an '02?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've done that a bunch of times. Both with my own vehicle and the ones at work. Now I always carry 2 keys for which ever car I am in. 1 for the ignition and 1 on my belt (for work). 1 for the ignition & 1 with my house keys (2 separate key rings). I've haven't had to call the tow company since. :D

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject: Not possible?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This must be some kind of a glitch or something. It happened to my wife just after we got the KJ. She got out to get some gas, and it locked by itself. The first time it happened, my daughter was still in the Jeep, so she opened the doors. Next time, AAA had to be called. Of course, this happened during a HUGE snow storm in Upstate NY, and we live in Massachusetts. I also had the spare key with me, and I'm also the AAA card holder. Luckily someone else in the group had AAA.
Anyways, after that happened, I went to the dealer to have them set the locks for me... couldn't do it. They claimed I needed an EVIC, because that's what controls the door locks (the module for them is located in the EVIC). The guy showed me everything he could program with the computer (quite a bit), but that was not there. I have gotten into the habit of hitting the unlock button on the door when I go to get out now, but I would rather have it automatic. I actually like the way my wife's Buick works, as soon as you put it in gear, the doors lock. As soon as it goes into park, they unlock.

2004 Sport with just enough to get me in trouble 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRCorcoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Krazze1e, got any idea on what it would cost to update the EVIC in an '02?

Well, I put in a evic from a chrysler 300m '02 vechicle in mine.... The feature on mine is unlock all doors when any door is open. If you don't have this you can pickup another evic from another vechicle and install it. Would be a simple swap out, they run for around $50~ on ebay. Just gotta make sure that feature is on it, you could make up the cost by reselling yours i'm sure.

Maybe more hassle, just bite the bullet and go in the dealer.....

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535