It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adjusting the E-Brake
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tikkapower wrote:
This thread has a great deal of information...I have another problem with my e-brake and since there seems to be alot of knowledge here I simply link to my thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60501&p=671254#p671254

Anyone who can help me with this issue?

Yeah don't pull the lever fast,simple and easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I sprayed mine with Brakeclean and I got it to work just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone I am having a kind of reverse problem my E-brake cable is to tight and I can't seem to figure out a way to get some slack let back to the cable any advice would be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Ive been seeing alot of posts about the E-brake taking to many clicks to hold the Jeep in place. Ive personally tried adjusting the E-brake pads, and while it helped some, it didnt do much at all. I believe you should still adjust the pads to make sure they are both applying the same amount of torque to each side, but this method works ALOT better.

Anyway, mine has been getting worse and since I live on a hill, I always use the parking brake. I could visually look down into the console and tell that there was slack in the cable because I could move the handle a good inch before the cable would move. I also asked my father to get under the Jeep and look at the rear brake mechanism to confirm the slack in the cable.

The first thing you need to do is to remove the lid for the center console, there are 3 screws that hold it on. Next, take the two screws out of the bottom of the container and two on the top toward the front of the box. Pull that out and you will be able to see the cable and the mechanism that SHOULD automatically adjust itself. Ive seen alot of posts saying the Liberty e-brake does not adjust itself, well, it should. I tinkered with the thing until I figured out how it works. Pull the ebrake up a few clicks, then grab the little tab(see pic below) while letting the brake handle back down. Be sure NOT to take to much slack out which would cause the rear pads to drag. Do this a couple times(If needed) until most of the slack is out of the cable. Its also best to jack up the rear end and check the pads to make sure there isnt any drag. If there is drag, Im not sure how to let the slack back out. The best way would be to adjust the pads at each wheel.

The tab is circled:

When you pull the ebrake up, that entire thing will move with it. When you hold the tab and let the handle back down, it will stay in place.

Max time: 15min

Here is the post I made that shows how to adjust the pads for each ebrake:

viewtopic.php?t=14757&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=adjust+emergency+brake&start=15

It takes a max of 2-3 clicks now. 8)

Good luck.. :)

WOW...After changing all the e-brake parts and adjusting the brakes, my cable still would not tighten up the brakes.

Now after adjusting the handle per your post its GREAT! I will pass this along! Thank you!

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Can anyone confirm if the process is the same for the KK?
Thanks!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

lfhoward wrote:
Thanks!

I would say unless someone has worked on both KJ & KK you would not know. I have not worked on a KK. I someone had the service manual i would follow it.

For sure you need to first be sure your e-brakes are in good working order and properly adjusted prior to attempting to adjust any cables.

Good luck.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
Thanks!

Check through the KK tech section, I think digger posted the procedure and I'm pretty sure they're the same.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ted15 wrote:
lfhoward wrote:
Thanks!

Check through the KK tech section, I think digger posted the procedure and I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Here ya go.
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=51247

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks, Ted15. It looks like the process is very different, as Digger was adjusting the slack in the e-brake cables on the KK at the rear brakes, but the OP here was adjusting the KJ's cable tension at the e-brake handle.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

lfhoward wrote:
Thanks, Ted15. It looks like the process is very different, as Digger was adjusting the slack in the e-brake cables on the KK at the rear brakes, but the OP here was adjusting the KJ's cable tension at the e-brake handle.

First you must inspect & adjust the rear E-brake as stated, then if your handle is still not providing enough tension. Proceed to adjusting the handle. (if the handle KK adjustment is the same as the KJ?) If you dont follow this process. When you get new e-brakes in the future they will never adjust. It is unknown how to backoff the handle adjustment.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I tried to adjust the ebrake according to the posted procedure but I couldn't get the amount of slack out of the cables. Each time I raised the brake handle, held the small lever identified in the pic then let the brake handle return down, the coil spring assemble returned back after I released the small lever. What am I doing wrong????? Any suggestions?????
Can anyone help me?????
PS: I have 2006 Jeep Liberty. I don't know what the correct model abbreviation is.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 am 
LOST Member

Worked perfect for me. It feels like it did when it was new! :BANANA:

Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:19 am 
LOST Junkie

choyarpb wrote:
I tried to adjust the ebrake according to the posted procedure but I couldn't get the amount of slack out of the cables. Each time I raised the brake handle, held the small lever identified in the pic then let the brake handle return down, the coil spring assemble returned back after I released the small lever. What am I doing wrong????? Any suggestions?????
Can anyone help me?????
PS: I have 2006 Jeep Liberty. I don't know what the correct model abbreviation is.

You could have a faulty brake handle assembly....the one on my 2002 Export CRD failed just after it went out of warranty and had to be replaced at my expense. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

As noted by many the post by Jeepjeepster was an excellent post and as advertised took only minutes. This procedure worked great and I have a normal adjusted e-brake now.
One observation I made: Once the lever is released, or of you over tighten it, if I pulled on the cables that attach to their connecting yoke plate, the tension would be lost. This may be what occurred for some who commented the tension did not persist.
I did notice also Tikkapower said de-greasing the coil with brake cleaner enabled it to adjust as intended. I'll try that and report if it worked for my KJ.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

Bumping up this thread because I'm having a terrible time with my newly replaced parking brakes (just don't hold at all), and this adjustment is not working for me ... wondering if someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I took the box off and tried pulling up the handle and then releasing it while holding the tab back. The tab moves with the handle no matter what I do. I've tried holding it back with a screwdriver and even gently with a prybar, but I don't want to damage it, and I figure it should not be this hard. It just really wants to go with the handle. It moves back with the handle when I pull the handle up, and goes back down with the handle ... won't stay in the back position independent of the handle.
The frustrating thing is the e-brake worked just fine -- two clicks of the handle and it held -- until I went to change the rear discs. The shoes fell apart, so I replaced them. Now I just cannot get them to hold the wheel. I've checked everything and it's in place (though Im second-guessing the levers now, which I took apart and regreased). The shoes do engage, but I guess not enough. I've opened the star adjusters pretty wide, and eventually they will stiffen up the wheel with the e-brake all the way up. Until I turn the wheel with my hand ... then they loosen up again and nothing gained. The net effect of opening the star adjuster is it creates drag when the e-brake is off, but still doesn't work when it's engaged.
So, my thinking is the cable mechanism must be slipping? Though I don't understand why it would suddenly start doing so now. The Occam's razor is I did something wrong with the shoes, but I just can't find an error or problem.
When others are doing this cable adjustment, do you find the tab is extremely hard to hold back? If so, what do you use to hold it there? If not, any ideas why mine is?
Could use some ideas before I give up and throw another load of $$$ at the dealership.

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

this from the KK Electronic Service MAnual

NOTE: The parking brake is self-adjusting, it can not be adjusted.

1. Remove the center floor console (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor - Removal) .

2. With lever in DOWN position, pull up on the core cable (4) rotating the drum (5) until the drum cut-out aligns with hole on lever tab (3), then install a punch (2) in this hole and drum cut-out. Release grasp on core cable.

3. The park brake system is now locked out to perform necessary repairs.

Post subject: Re: Adjusting the E-Brake - more
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

The KK service manual leads you to adjust the shoes inside the "top hat"
REAR DRUM IN HAT PARK BRAKE (ROTOR INSTALLED) USING ADJUSTING TOOL

Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.

1. Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
2. Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
3. Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
4. Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel .
5. Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
6. Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
7. Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
8. Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
9. Install support plate access hole plugs.
10. Lower vehicle.
11. Apply park brake hand lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
12. Release park brake hand lever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I went under to adjust the trigger wheel on my 2006 Liberty CRD per the FSM, to my surprize there is no trigger wheel, just a rod to keep the shoes apart? Then I found this, and I now have some good tension with the parking brake on, I guess out of my 2 KJs the one is not automatically adjusting, because the other one is just fine.

OTOH another page of the FSM said there is no manual adjustment for the parking brakes, only automatic?