It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bouncy Suspension: Time for Ranchos?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Howdy:

My '04 Renegade has developed the grandpa's-Cadillac-bounce up front so I figure it may be time to replace the struts. I'm pretty well satisfied with stock height so is there any advantage to Ranchos over dealer-installed Mopar replacements? Should I use the opportunity to swap out rear shocks as well? Suggested model #s?

Many thanks,

-andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Also consider Old Man Emu (OME) components. They are well liked, and will be what I use when I upgrade.

Welcome!

Read up there are lots of good people and good information here.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is your KJ at stock height? I would go with stock shocks if so. If you do have a lift then yes, get some Ranchos or OME's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm very happy with the Rancho RS5000s. They are extremely cheap ($300 for the entire vehicle) and have really appealed to me for the offroad image associated with Rancho. They ride the same (or maybe a little worse, but it's a Jeep) on pavement, but offroad, the difference is night and day. I can not believe how they soak up washboard roads (roads I used to do 7 mph to stay comfortable, I can now comfortably do 25 on).

EDIT: And I just noticed your screen name, are you at ASU now?

Post subject: Re: Bouncy Suspension: Time for Ranchos?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:43 pm 
This member has been Banned

ASUKJ wrote:
Howdy:

My '04 Renegade has developed the grandpa's-Cadillac-bounce up front so I figure it may be time to replace the struts. I'm pretty well satisfied with stock height so is there any advantage to Ranchos over dealer-installed Mopar replacements? Should I use the opportunity to swap out rear shocks as well? Suggested model #s?

Many thanks,

-andrew

Had the same problem in the KJ a few months back so we replaced every thing
springs ,struts and shocks
OME med springs
Rancho front struts
OME rear shocks
The KJ now rides better than stock no bounce at all
The price differance between installing new springs or reusing the old ones is the same on an install
so the price for a better than new ride + ~2" of lift was only $200 more than if all we did was replace struts and shocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

desertkj wrote:
I'm very happy with the Rancho RS5000s. They are extremely cheap ($300 for the entire vehicle) and have really appealed to me for the offroad image associated with Rancho. They ride the same (or maybe a little worse, but it's a Jeep) on pavement, but offroad, the difference is night and day. I can not believe how they soak up washboard roads (roads I used to do 7 mph to stay comfortable, I can now comfortably do 25 on).

EDIT: And I just noticed your screen name, are you at ASU now?

Yep, I work on campus. Thanks for the info, I'd like to go with something a bit more heavy-duty than stock but was not sure if there's an option for unlifted KJs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldnt see a problem running the OME or Rancho shocks without a lift.

I cant believe your happy with the stock height. :roll:

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yep, I believe either the Ranchos or the Old Man Emus would fit your application then. IMO, they are better than stock and will run without a lift. I don't honestly know how many other options you have besides these as well if you are not lifted.

EDIT: And I'm an incoming student at ASU, if you see a woodland brown KJ with a brush guard and LOST decals, make sure to wave. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

@DesertKJ
Thanks for the info, will keep an eye out.

@Jeepjeepster
Let's put it this way, 'happy within the constraints of a gubment salary.' Bought a set of Michelins (245-70-16) last month and am staring down the barrel of a 30,000 mile service. I love my KJ but that doesn't mean I want to live out of her :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ASUKJ wrote:
@DesertKJ

@Jeepjeepster
Let's put it this way, 'happy within the constraints of a gubment salary.' Bought a set of Michelins (245-70-16) last month and am staring down the barrel of a 30,000 mile service. I love my KJ but that doesn't mean I want to live out of her :lol:

haha, good reason. I fully understand the situation.

Take it easy on the 30k service. The dealer will tell you that you need a bunch of un-needed stuff done. Front and rear diffs(can be done at home if you know alittle about that stuff), tcase (drain and fill plug), and tranny. Coolant shouldnt need it till after 60k and everything else should be fine. Be sure to check the front suspension(upper and lower balljoints, tie rod-ends, check cv boots for wear, spray silicone spray on all the bushings and clean cv boots up and spray those), brake pads, etc. Check rear suspension, lower and upper control arms, shocks, etc. If the brake pads need changing, wouldnt be a bad idea to bleed the brakes to replace the old fluid.

Could also suck the fluid out of the power steering reservoir and put new in it.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

ASUKJ wrote:
@DesertKJ

@Jeepjeepster

gubment salary??? wish i had one :cry: I have a buddy in US customs, makes close to six figures. :shock:

Anyway yeah dont let the stealer have their way with you on the 30k. They are known for wanting flush every fluid possible in the vehicle. :?

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

myjeepwalks wrote:
gubment salary??? wish i had one :cry: I have a buddy in US customs, makes close to six figures. :shock:

Anyway yeah dont let the stealer have their way with you on the 30k. They are known for wanting flush every fluid possible in the vehicle. :?

Let me assure you, AZ state gubment is nowhere near so benevolent :x
Thanks for the 30k warning...