It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas mileage FYI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok so I went on a 500 mile round trip this week from Houston TX to Rockport TX. I was loaded down with about 300lbs of gear and 2 other people. My mileage on the way there was 20mpg on the dot, and on the way back it was 20.2mpg. I drove most of the trip at 65-70mph and I did do small amount of city driving before I left and a small bit in Corpus Christi.

Just going to work and back, half city(small towns anyway) and half highway, I get anywhere from 18.5 to 19.5 depending on how much road rage I have.

I have a 04 Sport with the 3.7L and stock 235 goodyears.(no lift) The only *mods* I have are iridium spark plugs and the K&N drop in air filter

Post subject: trip results
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, After owning the KJ for 2 years, I finally went on a "trip". 900 miles round trip. 4 tanks later (only used 3 for the results), I got 20mpg. Driving 70-75 most of the way. Cops were out in force, the radar detector played more music then the radio :lol: and the speed limit in Ohio and Ky is only 65 so I tried to keep it 9 over. This total also is 2 days running around back country roads with little hwy driving. I didn't get as beat up as I thought I would but the roads are much smoother down there then up here in the Detroit area. Gas was much cheaper too (2.05gal @ Wal-Mart in Glasgow Ky). It just went up here to 2.39 at the local moble station.

I did encounter 1 issue that I guess I need to plan a trip to the dealer. 2 time while driving on level road, at 65mph, the tranny shifted down and the RPM shot up to almost 4k. Then went on for about 20 seconds. Almost as if I hit the overdrive button. Once I was using the CC, the other, I was just moving along on manual 8) . I've always felt my tranny was a little strange and didn't want to accept it as a "jeep thing" but it almost spooked me as much as the first time my electronic fan in my RV kicked into overdrive. Thought I had a runaway . Didn't see a whole lot of KJ's down in my neck of the woods though. Most 4x4's were trucks (go figure). Most cute utes were CRV's and Pathfinders. Both my father, brother and sister have one but they were very impressed with the KJ. Well, I did put the K&N filter back in after I got back (put the stock filter in right before I left because I cleaned the K&N). Well, that's the trip report.. Oh, one more thing. It was VERY hot and humid. The A/C system sucks. Didn't think it was going to ever cool off. Maybe it's just the coolant but my minivan seems to get cold much faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

^ where are u from, i live about 3 hours from glasgow in ky. And my ac is great, better than any other vehicle ive ever been in, it also got good reviews when it first came out.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:52 pm 
LOST Member

have you used the a/c much this season? Beginning of summer mine took a while to cool off and didn't seem like it was working very well. Took a long time for enouch condensation to build up for me to see the water dripping off onto the ground when i was parked somewhere. After a week or so of using it non stop it started working great. Been working great ever since. Almost like it needed to be woken back up after not being used all winter.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject: mileage affected buy what transmission you have
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

My 02 with the heavier duty transmission achieved 22 once on when almost new driving from St. Louis MO to Salt Lake City Utah. After that 16 or 17 was the best it did, I had the K&N drop in but don't think it did made any difference. The 03 and up with the kighter duty automatics seemed to get a lttle better mileage. I didn't it buy for the economy, I bought it to tow.

Now I have a CRD 24 mpg first tank! 22 to 23 consistantly but I only have 1100 miles so it's not near broke in. I expect it will get at least the advertised 26 after breaking in. Some people report 28 plus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:cry:

crd's are cool

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I really want a CRD

The thought of going more in debt it get one sucks though.

I did forget to say I have the Tow package, I don't know if the extra fan hurts the mileage or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 pm 
LOST Member

The other day I was going down a steep hill that was around a mile long. I pressed the reset on the EVIC gas milage calculator and at one point on the hill I was averaging (according to the EVIC) 70 mpg. To bad it didn't stay there when I started going up again. lol

I usually 18 or 19 for intown and highway respectivly although I haven't driven much on highway with lift. I do have a manual if that makes any difference.

That's awesome that the CRD gets such good mileage.

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.

Post subject: mileage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJfishman,
Are you really gettin' that mileage. I must have gotten the diesel guzzler on the lot! I am getting 17 city, 20 highway! Any ideas on mileage improvement would sure be welcomed. I looked so forward to this CRD and this mileage thing has me totally bummed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 am 
LOST Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
^ where are u from, i live about 3 hours from glasgow in ky. And my ac is great, better than any other vehicle ive ever been in, it also got good reviews when it first came out.

I'm from Glasgow. I live in Detroit right now. If I'm on the hwy and moving, it's fine. But I noticed that it just took a very long time (then what it use to) to cool things off. It was very humid too. I would put the fan on max and crack the sunroof to cool things down faster. Been back in town (Detroit area) since the 6th. Again, as long as I'm moving in traffic or hwy, it seems ok and puts out cold air. But stop and go, it doesn't seem be up to norm. I'm taking it in anyway. I noticed the leather on the steering wheel is "melting". Looks like it's desolving or something and I'm going to mention the tranny issue (not that they will do anything, but it will be on record).

What part of KY are you in?