It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP with Clevis Lift
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

Can anyone pipe in on how they completed the clevis lift install? I tried the other day with spring compressors but bent the crap out of them. I then had the front on jack stands and wanted to see if I could jack one side up compresing the spring then just hold it there and drop the clevis down but the whole side lifted before the strut compressed enough. I don't want to take my whole front end apart again because it's a pain to get the bottom of the strut fork back in even without the clevis lift and just the ott spacer.

Anyone with a clevis lift PLEASE post and let me know how you did it!!! Thanks a lot!!! I appreciate it!

grille inserts, roof x-bars, tow hooks; full Mopar plus custom skids, custom spare tire riser;
Magnum hood deflector
soon: winch in factory front bumper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

takes only about fifteen minutes a side to do... no spring compressor needed at all. loosen lug nuts, jack up front end of liberty, put on jackstands, remove wheels, remove upper clevis bolt ( at top of clevis/bottom of strut ). remove lower clevis bolt ( attaches clevis to lower control arm ), on the sides of the clevis u will see flat spots ( they are there for a reason ), hit flat spots with hammer, clevis will come off of bottom of strut, install 2" conduit nuts on bottom of strut, and reassemble in reverse order. due to lengthening the strut/ clevis assembly, u may or may not need a small crowbar to reassemble. if lower clevis bolts will not line up, put a crowbar in between the sway bar and lower control arm and push down. this should give u plenty of clearance to attach lower clevis to lower control arm ( only had to that on one side of my kj ) . hope this helps!!! :wink:

245/70/16 A/T TIRES
MOPAR FACTORY SUB SOON!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

if u need even more room to attach the lower clevis bolt, u can disconnect the upper control arms from the spindle..

245/70/16 A/T TIRES
MOPAR FACTORY SUB SOON!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not sure why you are trying to use a spring compressor? Anyway, the easiest way i found way to first jack the KJ up,remove the tire, Loosen the clevis bolts that are clamping around the strut(may need to disconnect the clevis forks lower bolt as well, can' remember) Disconnect the UBJ (upper control arm at the ball joint, BFH....Bang!) Ensure something is sitting under your lower control arm before you disconnect the UBJ so the disc doesn't hit the floor :? ! Then you should beable to work the clevis fork off of the srtut and get your conduit nuts in there. You may also need to remove the swaybar( I did)
I'm not the best at explaning these things but i gave it a shot anyway. Good luck. Anyone pls chime in if i missed something or added something you fell may not be needed. :) ....I did my clevis lift in a driveway with basically next to nothing for tools and had it done in less then 1.5hrs (in the rain).

Josh

2003 Jeep Liberty(KJ) Renegade,235/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors 245/75/16 MTR's,Factory Skids, Selec-Trac,trac lock,Husky Floor Liners,OME Lift,948 rear/926 front,Rusty's strut plate,clevis 2.5 "s, Al's UCA's Gen 4.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

I use jack stands for the body and a hydraulic jack kept under the lower A-arm for repositioning and holding up the lower A-arm during the reinstall.

Remove the upper clevis bolt, then using a 1"x1"x1 1/8" block of oak I pound that into the gap in the upper clamp to pry the clamp open slightly. Remove the lower clevis bolt and slide down the clevis fork.

Reverse the operation to reinstall. I start with sliding the conduit nuts onto the strut then the clevis fork back into position with the oak block still keeping the clamp open, tighten up the lower bolt first then jack up the lower A-arm into position on the clevis clamp and knock the block out and bolt in the upper clevis bolt.

Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:15 am 
LOST Member

Ok, thanks for all the input so far.

However... I know to disconnect the upper and lower strut fork bolts. I had to do all that to get my OTT lift on. Then I had to pry the poop out of it to get the lower strut fork bolt back through the LCA. Not fun!! With even more lift from the conduit nuts it's going to be even harder! I am trying to avoid removing the lower strut fork bolt.

I want to some how seperate the strut fork from the strut (at the clevis) while NOT removing the bottom strut fork bolt!! Hence, I tried the spring compressors. If I could compress the strut first, keep it compressed, then remove the clevis bolt and then lower the LCA and have it separate at the clevis I can install the conduit nuts and not have to pry like a mofo to get the bottom bolt back in. Following?!

has anyone done this succesfully?! HELP me out here ppl! Thanks!!!

grille inserts, roof x-bars, tow hooks; full Mopar plus custom skids, custom spare tire riser;
Magnum hood deflector
soon: winch in factory front bumper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:13 am 
clean machine
clean machine

renegadekj wrote:
Disconnect the UBJ (upper control arm at the ball joint, BFH....Bang!) Ensure something is sitting under your lower control arm before you disconnect the UBJ so the disc doesn't hit the floor :? !

Just back the UBJ nut off a few threads and give the knuckle a whack. It won't fall far, just to the nut. Then you can ease it off by taking the nut off.

Post subject: Re: HELP with Clevis Lift
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

At risk of hijacking the thread, has anyone found the clevis bush in the A arm to be damage & need replacing? Mine look like they have been pounded a few time too often. Can they be replaced or does the A arm have to be replaced?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 pm 

layback40 wrote:
At risk of hijacking the thread, has anyone found the clevis bush in the A arm to be damage & need replacing? Mine look like they have been pounded a few time too often. Can they be replaced or does the A arm have to be replaced?

This is the OEM part no. for just the bushing
52088746AA
they are serviceable, hopefully you can find them down under. :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 am 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
This is the OEM part no. for just the bushing
52088746AA
they are serviceable, hopefully you can find them down under. :juggle:

Thanks,
I had a roadworthy (safety) check done today. Its a requirement for a registration transfer down here. They didnt bring it up. I will down the track need to replace the bushes. They look like they will need a bit of force to get the old out & the new in. Maybe put the new ones in the freezer to help.