It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should I chop my bumper up like this pic?
Yes 84%  84%  [ 43 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Are you smoking crack?! 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:13 am 
I live here
I live here

Makes it look very aggressive. Are you sure you are up for an aggressive animal like that? :-)r

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:20 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I like it to and have thought about doing it as well...god knows my bumper is chewed up enough not to make a difference.

That should get rid of some of the rubbing on the foglight door...since the foglight will be gone!

Do it....Take Pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:44 pm 
LOST Member

hoss75 wrote:
Ken, what would make you suspect that it might not pass? There's no structural changes, strictly plastic trimming. The true structural bumper is left unchanged.

A friend worked for a 4X4 shop, He has see trucks come in with tickets from the police for some off the wall stuff. 10 minitutes to ask the question could save some greef later down the road.

The one I remember the best is this one:
Police would run a string from the bottom of rear rim to bottom of bumper. If the string did not cross a mud flap, TICKET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

We seem to be drifiting away from the intended plan.

There is a polls section shouldn't this be posted there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:07 pm 
LOST Member

LimitedLurker wrote:
We seem to be drifiting away from the intended plan.

There is a polls section shouldn't this be posted there?

LimitedLurker, do any of your 12 posts say anything other than shouldn't polls be in the polls section??? :roll:

86% say to cut that sucker up. DO IT, DO IT! (Seen Starsky and Hutch?)

Later,
J

My favorite Emoticon is now :roll: So many uses for it!

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Hoss,
I REALLY wanted that bumper thread! I put a lot of work compiling emails in one place. Oh well, I'll search my old emails and start it up again.

Please keep me/us updated on Rock Liz's reply. May as well start a new dedicated thread if he doesn't.

I'm really pushing and hoping Quinn will change his mind and sell that bumper soon. First one with a simple, cheap bumper gets my $500.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:19 pm 
LOST Member

I second that Adam! I'll let ya know if I hear anything from RL.

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:51 pm 
LOST Member

AdamIsAdam wrote:

I'm really pushing and hoping Quinn will change his mind and sell that bumper soon. First one with a simple, cheap bumper gets my $500.

Sucks about your lost thread...

About the All J bumper - Because of the factory tollerances on the KJ's the bumper has to be custom fit and hand made for each KJ. It is simply too time consuming (labor intensive) to 1) only charge $500 and 2) to offer it to a wide audience. That also does not account for the fact that Quinn would need YOUR KJ there in the shop for close to two weeks. I would bet that if you brought the KJ to CA and were willing to part with it, and a pocket full of cash, Quinn would build you one. DO NOT call and ask them a bunch of questions about the bumper unless you are ready to drop off your rig (for the length of time specified) to be fitted. So if 3 people go drop them off then those three will be done in a month and a half...

Also, make sure the stock bumper, grill and front fenders are removed and be ready to cut the fron fenders or have an extra set to cut. I would also bet that Quinn would do all of that for you at an hourly labor rate with minimums.

IT IS WORTH IT for the end product for the Jeep owner but Quinn ends up making hardly anything on his end in terms of profit.

As soon as I replenish my Jeep funds (just bought the interioe rack) I am going to seriously consider dropping mine off so if you guys want one you might want to get busy and beat me too it.

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:19 am 
LOST Member

02LIBRT wrote:

About the All J bumper - Because of the factory tollerances on the KJ's the bumper has to be custom fit and hand made for each KJ. It is simply too time consuming (labor intensive) to 1) only charge $500 and 2) to offer it to a wide audience. That also does not account for the fact that Quinn would need YOUR KJ there in the shop for close to two weeks. I would bet that if you brought the KJ to CA and were willing to part with it, and a pocket full of cash, Quinn would build you one. DO NOT call and ask them a bunch of questions about the bumper unless you are ready to drop off your rig (for the length of time specified) to be fitted. So if 3 people go drop them off then those three will be done in a month and a half...

If that's the case, how is ARB able to mass produce?

Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:39 am 
LOST Member

02LIBRT wrote:
About the All J bumper - Because of the factory tollerances on the KJ's the bumper has to be custom fit and hand made for each KJ.

That is the silliest thing I've heard. I've measured 2 KJ's now and all alignments are the same for the front holes. Can you, or anyone else, please explain further? What tolerances do you refer to specifically?

I'm mostly curious to know why the bumper can't be created en-masse, then shipped under the assumption that it will be customized as need be by a local shop upon receipt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:55 am 
LOST Addict

CivilianX also did this mod before he sold the libby. I got to see it up close one day and it looked good. If I didn't want my fog lights any more, I would seriously consider doing this mod too. On the subject of front bumpers though, I found a custom fabricator a few miles from my house that would be willing to make me a bumper. I spoke to him at the Adam's Jeep show last month and he said he wouldn't be able to get to it till at least August though because he had a lot of other shows to do in the meantime. When I go to his shop to work out the details, I'll see if he would want to try and make a bunch for the rest of you guys. I'll keep you posted.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 am 
LOST Member

hoss75 wrote:
02LIBRT wrote:

ARB is quite a different beast and if that is what you are looking for - go for it. No offence to anyone that likes the ARB but i think it is too heavy and sticks out too far. For that kind of $$$ you don't gain much.

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:26 am 
LOST Member

vxla wrote:
02LIBRT wrote:
About the All J bumper - Because of the factory tollerances on the KJ's the bumper has to be custom fit and hand made for each KJ.

That is the silliest thing I've heard. I've measured 2 KJ's now and all alignments are the same for the front holes. Can you, or anyone else, please explain further? What tolerances do you refer to specifically?

I'm mostly curious to know why the bumper can't be created en-masse, then shipped under the assumption that it will be customized as need be by a local shop upon receipt.

If that is the silliest you must not have read many posts on any board. :roll:

I can tell you this - There were not many of these created and my understanding is that they are vehicle specific. In other words one made for a specific vehicle will not fit 'correctly' on another. Correctly meaning to All J standards.

:!: This does not mean that Quinn and Steve could not take several KJs and make a bumper from an average! Of course they could. And to think they couldn't is silly. That said - ALL J / Boulder Bars in my experience is exacting in their standards and practice. They will not let something go out the door unless they know it is exact. If there is a chance that it will not fit right they are not going to do it.

They could do an average and sell you a $900 bumper with a $200 shipping tag. Are you going to buy one? How many do you think would sell? No that is not a quote or statement from ALL J - it is a guesstimation of what they would have to sell the first 100 for to make up for all the labor, etc that would have to go into getting mass production arranged.

I have seen $500 flying around as a number that some are willing to pay for a bumper - I think we know that is not going to do it. There is a great cost for tooling to mass produce these. For what? What is the motivation? To sell 10 or 12 and break even? Not going to happen. I bet if 20 KJ owners pony up $700 each + tax and shipping you would see the wheels of progress turning.

Of course you have to take in to consideration that I am talking out of my @$$ and have no say in what they or anyone else does and it's all speculation. I dare you to test it though... I have seen a lot of folks talking about how they want one. Who is really willing to put their money where their mouths are?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone with all the numbers... I just know that 500 will not do it. 900 will easily do it for maybe 15. 700 might be able to squeak by for 20 of us.

Seriously guys, I will put up the cash - Anyone else?

Anyone? Where are the other 19?

J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:30 am 
LOST Member

vxla wrote:

Of course it could. If there were enough people willing to pay the right price. There just aren't. Please prove me wrong. My guess is it will take 20 KJs @ $700 each.

J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:07 am 
All J Products Lifetime Vendor
All J Products Lifetime Vendor

hoss75 wrote:
02LIBRT wrote:

All J Products is currently considering an alternate design from our originally designed KJ bumper. The consideration includes tooling costs, R&D costs, and what the ACTUAL market will bear.

Please keep in mind that our marketing/R&D budget is far less than that of ARB. ARB is a worldwide company and deals with every type of off-road vehicle immaginable. All J Products has been very mindful of our fellow KJers and has tried to come up with every possible solution to your requests.

With that, I would like to offer my thanks to our many faithful KJ customers. New products that were highly requested are NOW available, such as the new KJ Interior Rack. Please email us if you have any questions.

1968 Jeep M715
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 am 
LOST Newbie

It does kind of seem that if Daimler/Chrysler had to "hand fit" every KJ's bumper, then costs would go way up, and the benefits of mass/assembly line production would be defeated. I honestly can't see the tolerances being that far off, unless the front end was "tweaked" in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am 
LOST Member

Original Bigfoot wrote:
It does kind of seem that if Daimler/Chrysler had to "hand fit" every KJ's bumper, then costs would go way up, and the benefits of mass/assembly line production would be defeated. I honestly can't see the tolerances being that far off, unless the front end was "tweaked" in some way.

Who said anything about DC hannd fitting anything??? I think we all know that is not true. There is a slight difference in a big plastic BUMPER COVER and a custom STEEL BUMPER.

As Quinn stated above your nessage, All J is looking into a redesign that would not require so much personal interaction. I really like the current design and it's tight fit. Given the All J history I am sure any new design is going to be really cool too.

So there you have it straight from the 'horses mouth' All J is looking into a new design for the bumper. COOL!

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:56 am 
LOST Member

Party! Looks like a race to market between Rock Lizard and ALL J.. who will get my money?! I can't take the expense! er.. I mean SUSpense..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Of course you should cut that bumper.

(That is my Jeep)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:50 pm 
LOST Member

Steakgoddess---- do you have any other pics of the bumper? I would like to see a side profile if you have one. I think it looks great but I would like to see more of it. I am thinking about doing it to mine but would like to see how you cleaned up the sides.

L.O.S.T. #058282
92 Jeep Cherokee
3.5" lift (more mods to come)
2002 Sport 4x4 SOLD

new dent in drivers side passenger door from duranged tree
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062821

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next