It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing steering wheel mounted radio controls:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

Here are the part numbers for the parts you need to buy to install this:

Pulled the part numbers for the parts:
56042313AB - Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Radio control Radio control Left 2002 - 2007 - List price:$15.60, online:$12.64

56042312AB - Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Radio control Radio control Right 2002 - 2007 - List price:$16.35, online:$13.24

56050821AB - Steering wheel Steering wheel and trim Wire W/audio controls - List price:$33.35, online:$27.01

Now those parts with some cutting time on the factory trim would do it just like I did. So if you did it this way your total cost to add these suckers using new parts would be:
$52.89

Now if you didnt want to have to cut anything you need to order the rear plastic trim, the plastic costs $18.08 shop price.(25% discount over RRP)

05086215AA - COVER, Steering Wheel Back

So for about $71 total you could add this via new parts from the dealer and it would be a completely "bolt-on" mod. If you found a WJ with the buttons and harness and spent a little time installing the radio wires into your harness, and cut out your old plastic, you could do this for only the cost of those used parts from a junkyard.

You can take these part numbers down to your local dealer to order them, if you do that you may wish to print the following 2 pages of the PDF that shows all your needed parts(the parts needed are listed as number 3, 9, and 11 in the pdf):
http://colorado4wheel.com/allmanuals/Je ... uttons.pdf

Also, 99-04 WJs use the same radio buttons, but do not use the same steering wheel harness.

The install:

Very easy to do, took about 30 minutes overall. I got the parts at the junkyard last weekend, unfortunately I wasn't able to pull the rear steering wheel plastic which has the cutouts for the buttons, however its pretty easy to dremel them out and install the buttons.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Go inside and enjoy a beer for about 20 minutes.

Start by removing the airbag, there are 2 8mm bolts that hold it in place, once the bolts are out the airbag will come forward, disconnect each airbag connector from the back along with the horn connection. Set the airbag aside in a safe place facing upward.

loosen the 13mm bolt and unscrew several turns.

Unscrew the cruise control buttons from either side, unplug them and set them aside. Disconnect the steering wheel wiring harness from the clockspring.

Use a gear puller(traditional steering wheel pullers will not work since the KJ steering wheel does not have threaded hold for the puller to screw into) to remove the steering wheel. Feed the airbag wires through the rear plastic cover and set the steering wheel aside.

Make sure not to turn the clockspring, dont worry about aligning the wheel, there is only one configuration that it can be installed with.

Remove the rear plastic from the wheel, remove the wiring harness.

Use the cutting instrument of your choice, mine was a dremel with a drill bit and a razor blade to cleanup the cut, and cut along the mold lines seen on the rear plastic, tweak as needed to get the buttons to mount, alternatively if you are able to get the rear plastic you will not need to make the cuts for the buttons.

After cutting and installing the buttons install the new steering wheel wiring harness, it will be obvious, it will install in the same place as the old one you just removed.

Install rear plastic on the back of the steering wheel, install cruise control buttons, replace the screws holding them in place, and make sure the cruise and radio buttons are plugged in.

Feed the airbag and horn wires through the rear of the wheel, there is only one orientation that the wheel can be installed with, take your 13mm bolt and tighten it down nicely.

Plug in the horn and airbag wires, place airbag on wheel and reinstall 8mm hold down bolts.

Reconnect battery.

Enjoy beer while sitting in Jeep changing stations from the steering wheel.

Pictars:
Without steering wheel radio buttons(this is the plug of the steering wheel harness that plugs into the clockspring):
With steering wheel radio buttons:
Wheel without radio buttons and cruise buttons partially removed:
Steering wheel harness with cruise control and radio buttons:
Back of steering wheel where radio control buttons should be:
First button, hole cut, cleaned up, and button installed:
(other side not yet cut out):
Both buttons holes cutout and buttons installed.
Inside the wheel:

Got them all in and working, pretty cool little thing to do for as cheap and easy as it was. Total project time was about 30 mins.

Last edited by Sir Sam on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 am 
LOST Junkie

good post :!: might better fit in the fab section though :?: :idea: :?: that place needs some new post any how, but great post none the less

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:22 am 
LOST Addict

dloc_jeep_KJ wrote:
good post :!: might better fit in the fab section though :?: :idea: :?: that place needs some new post any how, but great post none the less

I use two forums, #1 and #5, thats all I know.

Never liked places with too many forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:21 am 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
dloc_jeep_KJ wrote:

true i only check a few. hey that rimes

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:26 am 
LOST Addict

dloc_jeep_KJ wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
dloc_jeep_KJ wrote:

true i only check a few. hey that rimes

rhymes? what accent do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Small update, it appears the 2002-2004 KJ uses a different steering wheel harness, according to the parts fiche:

56010171AC - List price:$81.45, online - $65.97
(from pdf page 149 of 489 in the 02 parts fiche)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 06 CRD has 4 pins going into the clockspring....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dloc_jeep_KJ wrote:

hey good to see you back!

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After looking above it seems that mine has a 4 pin and a 2 pin instead of a 6 pin. Is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My wiring on the left. Can I just take the 2 wires from the other harness and put them in my harness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Install the red/yellow in the far left of that plug(pin 4), then the red/black in the pin 3.

There will be a little "access cover" that you flip up, then gently insert the pin in untill it clicks.

I would also remove those wires from the full harness I sent you, install them in the correct position, and wrap them together with electrical tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sweet 8) thanks for the quick reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It Works AWESOME :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:54 am 
LOST Addict

TDI4BY wrote:
It Works AWESOME :D

Another happy customer!

Post subject: Re: Installing steering wheel mounted radio controls:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm 
LOST Member

The leather is messed up on mine and would like to do this to kill two birds with one stone could I just buy a whole new wheel with these controls all ready on it? and can it be from a older liberty or doe's it have to be a 05 + since mine is a 05?

Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been working on this project for a bit, seems the 2006-2007 models have another (different) wiring harness. 2005 has it's own, and 2002-2004 has yet another

Looks like the 2006-2007 wiring harness part is 52029381AA - and seems to be unique to those vehicles.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/pro ... 381AA.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sometimes the numbers change but the part stays the same. I pulled all my parts to do this from 3 different Libertys in the junk yard. So I am sure the years varied from I think '03 to '06. The difference could be in the wire colors. I pulled a headlight wire harness from to put it in my '05 so I could add the factory fog lights and the harness I got has completely different colors than the orginal and what is in the manual. I am thinking I raided an '06 for that harness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 05 CRD, and installed a complete wheel out of a 02 Limited. Everything plugged in and works perfect, aside from the cruise buttons since my CRD didn't have cruise from the factory. One of these days i'll have to deal with the morons at the dealer to get it turned on. I absolutely love the steering wheel buttons though, great upgrade for $30 and a couple minutes of my time to change wheels.

1997 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 215k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, Swamps IDM, built trans. Tuned by me

2001 F-450 crew cab, XLT ZF-6 7.3: 6637, shimmed 910's, in-tank mods, PHP tunes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Liberty Sport and I follow all the instructions step by step but they do not work at all. Could it be something to do with a fuse or the model not having cruise control?

Thanks,

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Just scored the controls for $1.06 At lkq..... :BANANA: