All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Government probe into KJ upper ball joint faillures
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:11 am 
LOST Member

http://www.clickondetroit.com/automotiv ... etail.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:00 am 
LOST Addict

I love the KJ! Free lower ball joints and pretty soon free upper's as well. You can't beat a vehicle that comes with the free "random repair" option.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 am 
LOST Addict

I don't see the problem here like we have had with the lower BJ's.
In over 300,000 02 and 03's made, you have 74 complaints. That's .00025% which is a drop in the bucket and hardly worth mentioning.

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:31 am 
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA

sleeve84028 wrote:
I love the KJ! Free lower ball joints and pretty soon free upper's as well. You can't beat a vehicle that comes with the free "random repair" option.

I wonder if drivers side drive shafts are next on the "random repair option" HaHa

Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:11 am 
LOST Member

KJ04 wrote:
In over 300,000 02 and 03's made, you have 74 complaints. That's .00025% which is a drop in the bucket and hardly worth mentioning.

Ihope your are right but it is worth mentioning that the first lower ball joint recall in November 2003 was issued after only 47 complaints.

Last edited by Dutchy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

Dutchy wrote:
KJ04 wrote:

Eh, yes it is worth mentioning as the first lower ball joint recall in November 2003 was issued after only 47 complaints.

I wonder how many lives were saved because of it...

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Enough to allow Jeep to keep selling the KJ and not have them all returned as unfit for on road useage.

If the ball joints are weak, than there should be a proper replacement. Why should I have to pay for Jeeps (Daimler's) consistant cost cutting when it could endanger someones life?

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had an upper ball joint failure. I can tell you exactly what they'regoing to do. They're going to replace the a-arms with 'new' a-arms that look identical and call it good. Actually fixing the problem is asking too much, just like it was for the lower ball joints. The brand new ones suck just as bad as the originals and now we the consumers are just going around Jeep and fixing the problem for real and out of our pocket (though a few people did get reimbursed for their MOOG LBJs).
What they really should do it redesign the whole darn arm. I mean it would monopolize the a-arm aftermarket (assuming Jeeps were good), but Jeepin' By Al offer a lot of other good stuff. It should pretty much be what Jeepin' By Al arms are, but a replacement Jeep part that is given to all Liberty owner free just like the LBJs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:42 pm 
aka Debbie

I just realized the 2007 Liberty may turn out to be more expensive than I expected. It is the only year Liberty where the lower ball joints are not part of the recall.

I hear everyone say the new lbj's are just as bad as the old one. If I have to start replacing them and paying for it out of my own pocket that will not be good.

Mopar Skids, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ04 wrote:

Once they see how many have been repaired inder warranty I am sure the numbers will be high. My 1st bad one was on my 03 w/ 9k miles on it and replaced under warranty. I didn't complain so there is at least one more that never got captured as a complaint. I doubt they will continue to warranty the uppers on my 03 now..... :?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

KJ04 wrote:

It is not the magnitude of complaints so much as the magnitude of what could happen. Take a small number of failures calculated into actuarial tables and that small number becomes a huge probability factor based on the large volume of possible occurances in the 300K units out there.

This is why when issues appear such as this it is so important to report them to the Feds...especially when dealer blows it off as nothing. Hence the reason I got tired of sitting on the DC waiting list, got MOOGS and submitted the bill to DC for reimbursement... 8)

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
LOST Addict

I guess we will see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

I complained about the crappy LBJ replacement (F23) to Chrysler US and they redirected me to Chrysler Europe and the answer was: we let our dealers decide if it's warranty or not. So we are LOST for real.

And they better hurry up on that UBJ recall, I have one busted now.

I thought 'let's buy a $43k (euro price) JEEP, it will last for years.' ...... not.....

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Blue KJ in PA wrote:
KJ04 wrote:

It is not the magnitude of complaints so much as the magnitude of what could happen. Take a small number of failures calculated into actuarial tables and that small number becomes a huge probability factor based on the large volume of possible occurances in the 300K units out there.

This is why when issues appear such as this it is so important to report them to the Feds...especially when dealer blows it off as nothing. Hence the reason I got tired of sitting on the DC waiting list, got MOOGS and submitted the bill to DC for reimbursement... 8)

How did that goe with the reimbursement?? that makes the most sense...get a set of good quality parts, and have them pick up the tab, or a portion at least up to the cost it would have run them to install mopars....I like that. can you divulge more about what it took, how they received the letter and how long they took to reimburse?? thanks in advance.
Dave

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

On the recall notice there was address for DC to send the bill to. I had my local mechanic order the MOOGS, install them and write up the bill as such. I then copied it and mailed it off to the DC address. They paid the full amount of the MOOGS and the install amount...around $400 or 450

:( ...When I searched this topic and my name as author I found the thread where Ron (lilredlibby) helped point me to the address...R.I.P. my friend you are missed

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I sent all that crap out and never got any money from crycro for my moogs. :roll:

As long as my upper arms are ok I will never go in for a recall, even if they have one. Ill wait and save up the money and just buy the JBA arms when the need arises and do it all myself so I know its done right. :)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
I sent all that crap out and never got any money from crycro for my moogs. :roll:

As long as my upper arms are ok I will never go in for a recall, even if they have one. Ill wait and save up the money and just buy the JBA arms when the need arises and do it all myself so I know its done right. :)

Xs 2 agree with you, I went ahead and done my lowers and then the recall came out sent in the receipts and got a letter back saying they would let me know, never another word! I still am getting notices though to bring it in, just toss them!