It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 638, 639, 640, 641, 642  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mounted my winch on my CRD today

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
2nd Gen Fuel Filter Head,
Donaldson P551313 Secondary Filter
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
After watching how some on Fakebook do their pinch welds I deceided to actually take the time to show how I've did mine the last 11 years
So here we go ,
tools , heat gun, knife, BFH and of course paint
start with one salt covered KJ
Heat, cut
you'll have this

of course paint where you bent it over
final picture , is close but not quite to my standards yet, but had to make a quick run and the green one had to be put back together

perhaps this post is now missing a pic?

was the plastic piece that was cut out reattached somehow? I cant tell by the pics. thanks

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:47 pm 
LOST Member

k9adv wrote:
Mounted my winch on my CRD today

Nice. I'm a fan of the Backbone mounts, having used them on XJs.

Where did you find one? I thought Detours USA was semi-closed down.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short rear UCA / WWDiesel mount
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
HDS Model 001 Thermostat at 203°F
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am 
LOST Newbie

I was buying something else from someone on here and they mentioned they had a new, never used, still boxed one for sale.
And frankly, I have a couple issues with it that have left me less than impressed.

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 pm 
LOST Member

k9adv wrote:
I was buying something else from someone on here and they mentioned they had a new, never used, still boxed one for sale.
And frankly, I have a couple issues with it that have left me less than impressed.

Hm, interesting.

Mind going into detail? Like I say, I'm a fan of their XJ stuff and bought into it over a decade ago - but I'd be interested to hear where the KJ pieces aren't up to snuff.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
k9adv wrote:

Hm, interesting.

Mind going into detail? Like I say, I'm a fan of their XJ stuff and bought into it over a decade ago - but I'd be interested to hear where the KJ pieces aren't up to snuff.

- The holes in the winch plate itself that are for the 5" long 7/16" bolts did not line up with the holes in the crossmember of my 05 CRD. I had those holes in the plate slotted at a local machine shop for it to work.

- The holes for the clevis shackles are only 3/4" diameter, which only allows for the 5/8" metal clevis shackles that are only rated at 6500 lbs WLL. 5/8" shackles have 3/4" pins. 3/4" shackles have 7/8" pins (and are rated at 9500 lbs, which is certainly preferred when doing recoveries). I make and sell recovery gear, so regardless of opinions, the standard pin size for a 3/4" shackle is 7/8". The standard is 1/8" larger than the body diameter.

Claiming that "I've seen 3/4" shackles with smaller pins" disregards the fact that 3/4" shackles (which have 7/8" pins as a standard) are extremely common and preferred based on the WLL. The hole could have easily been made to 7/8".

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

k9adv wrote:
- The holes in the winch plate itself that are for the 5" long 7/16" bolts did not line up with the holes in the crossmember of my 05 CRD. I had those holes in the plate slotted at a local machine shop for it to work.

- The holes for the clevis shackles are only 3/4" diameter, which only allows for the 5/8" metal clevis shackles that are only rated at 6500 lbs WLL. 5/8" shackles have 3/4" pins. 3/4" shackles have 7/8" pins (and are rated at 9500 lbs, which is certainly preferred when doing recoveries). I make and sell recovery gear, so regardless of opinions, the standard pin size for a 3/4" shackle is 7/8". The standard is 1/8" larger than the body diameter.

Claiming that "I've seen 3/4" shackles with smaller pins" disregards the fact that 3/4" shackles (which have 7/8" pins as a standard) are extremely common and preferred based on the WLL. The hole could have easily been made to 7/8".

Gotcha. Think I'd want to eyeball one before making a go / no-go decision on it, but that info is very much appreciated. Thanks!

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 pm 
LOST Member

After having found a couple of intermittent low boost codes, decided to start throwing parts at the problem after checking for vacuum leaks and installed a new Secondary Runner Valve Solenoid (p/n 04606226AC), as Chrysler calls it. Figured I'd start at the cheaper and easier end of the equation and work back from there, especially since I could barely hear the old one buzzing with the ignition on.

The butt dyno is impressed. Definitely a noticeable performance improvement (especially off the line with the A/C running), but, as it's been raining with temperatures in the mid-70s all day, can't tell for certain if replacing the solenoid was the fix, or just denser intake air than we've had recently. Either way, it's buzzing noticeably more strongly than the last one, so that at least is a good sign.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm 
LOST Member

At near enough exactly 126,000 miles as doesn't matter, finally replaced the OEM fuel filter of unknown vintage with a Mahle KC182. Pre-filled it with 4oz. of silver Diesel Kleen, and, after a little bleeding and hand-priming, it fired up without any trouble on the first turn of the key.

Have to say that having the Weeks Kit in there really makes this job a snap. Was able to do the whole thing from up top; didn't have to unmount the filter head or go at it from below. About the worst part was when my strap wrench snapped its belt after God only knows how many years and I had to run to Harbor Freight for a new one.

Also found that some of the split conduit near the passenger-side front engine cover mount had disintegrated, leaving part of the wiring harness exposed (though thankfully with the insulation intact). Grabbed some more split conduit while at Harbor Freight and did a quickie fix on it. It'll probably hold up about as well as the OEM stuff did, but I'll address that a little further down the road.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

Last edited by casm on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:19 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

k9adv wrote:
tommudd wrote:
After watching how some on Fakebook do their pinch welds I deceided to actually take the time to show how I've did mine the last 11 years
So here we go ,
tools , heat gun, knife, BFH and of course paint
start with one salt covered KJ
Heat, cut
you'll have this

of course paint where you bent it over
final picture , is close but not quite to my standards yet, but had to make a quick run and the green one had to be put back together

perhaps this post is now missing a pic?

was the plastic piece that was cut out reattached somehow? I cant tell by the pics. thanks

Nope no pictures missing, if you read you just heat and melt the plastic out flat, very simple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

Nope no pictures missing, if you read you just heat and melt the plastic out flat, very simple

I did read and dont see a finished pic.
When the plastic flap is placed back over the modified pinch wed, I understand it was heated and flattened, but I am not
understanding how it doesnt just flap around, how are the cut edges of the flap attached the rest of the plastic liner?

Weeks' Stage 1 & 2
ProVent 200
Samco Hoses
V6 Airbox
Cummins In Tank Pump
Fumoto valve
OME lift, JBA UCAs
Backbone Winch Mount

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:51 pm 
LOST Member

Finally got around to installing Carter lift pump and harness. Jeep seems to start and run much better. Took about 10 attempts to fiddle the float arm to set the same readings at the factory float via an Ohm measurement.

10/2017 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/2018 99K, New Reman Trans with goodies from StreetSmart
09/2018 104K Carter Lift Pump

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm 

k9adv wrote:
tommudd wrote:

When the plastic flap is placed back over the modified pinch wed, I understand it was heated and flattened, but I am not
understanding how it doesnt just flap around, how are the cut edges of the flap attached the rest of the plastic liner?

LOL come on now the last picture is the finished picture, you just heat up the plastic and melt it into place and smooth it out, hardly even tell it was ever modified

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am 
LOST Member

Had new motor & transmission mounts installed. Sent it out to a shop for that one; the weather is definitely turning here, and doing it in the driveway just wasn't realistic as a result.

The difference is astounding. Now that it no longer sounds (or feels) as though I'm inside a coffee can containing a handful of gravel that's been placed inside a paint shaker while being dragged over a washboard, the KJ is a lot more pleasant to drive.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

casm wrote:
Had new motor & transmission mounts installed. Sent it out to a shop for that one; the weather is definitely turning here, and doing it in the driveway just wasn't realistic as a result.

The difference is astounding. Now that it no longer sounds (or feels) as though I'm inside a coffee can containing a handful of gravel that's been placed inside a paint shaker while being dragged over a washboard, the KJ is a lot more pleasant to drive.

Agreed: It is amazing the huge difference new engine mounts can make on one of these things. Never knew a mount could "Rattle" like a bucket of loose bolts as they do when they get worn out. :shock: :shock:

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
tommudd wrote:
k9adv wrote:
tommudd wrote:

LOL come on now the last picture is the finished picture, you just heat up the plastic and melt it into place and smooth it out, hardly even tell it was ever modified
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the earlier process pictures the plastic fender flare is removed, and in the final finished photo it's back in place with an attached mudflap? It seems to make it difficult to see the re-fitting of the cut and lifted pinch weld cover. I know I could be entirely wrong, but that's how the process worked between the photos and the pictures in my head.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 pm 

GordnadoCRD wrote:
tommudd wrote:
k9adv wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the earlier process pictures the plastic fender flare is removed, and in the final finished photo it's back in place with an attached mudflap? It seems to make it difficult to see the re-fitting of the cut and lifted pinch weld cover. I know I could be entirely wrong, but that's how the process worked between the photos and the pictures in my head.

Totally wrong, plastic liner is there the whole time Does not make it difficult at all since the mudflap does not cover the pinch weld at all

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:02 am 
LOST Addict

At the risk of inserting myself into this pinch weld discussion... :juggle:

Here is a write-up with pictures that may explain the process in a slightly different way and make what Tom's saying a bit clearer.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-pound-pinch-welds-stop-fender-rubbing-34295/

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 245/75/R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System

Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
vwroad87 wrote:
Finally got around to installing Carter lift pump and harness. Jeep seems to start and run much better. Took about 10 attempts to fiddle the float arm to set the same readings at the factory float via an Ohm measurement.

It's easier simply to unclip the sending unit and float arm from both units, and clip your original sending unit and float arm onto the new pump unit, and hook the wires up.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

Now I find this out! :banghead:

10/2017 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/2018 99K, New Reman Trans with goodies from StreetSmart
09/2018 104K Carter Lift Pump

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 638, 639, 640, 641, 642  Next