It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who has replaced the heater hoses ? 3.7L.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:57 pm 
LOST Member

I did some planning for replacing the heater and radiator hoses. With 88k miles on the ’02 I’m thinking I don’t want to wait for one to go out.

The heater hoses are all listed at parts dealers -- O'Reilly's and RockAuto -- and while I was changing oil today I scoped it out to understand what I am looking at.

In the stock setup the hoses at either end of the two metal pipes are crimped in like hydraulic lines or brake hoses where they attach to the heater core and water pump.

I’m curious if anyone has replaced these with the individual short hoses listed with Gates. How are these crimps handled ?

I later looked up the Jeep parts catalog to see how they come from the dealers. They show a “heater supply hose” part no. 55038331AC. This looks like a complete assembly, and may be the way to go. It’s about $65 online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ive alwats been curious how you would replace the heater hoses on the kj but Ive never heard of someone doing it.

Does that $65 replaced all the hard likes too?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:47 am 
LOST Addict

I replaced my upper/lower radiator hoses with replacement Goodyear that I got from AutoZone. I replaced the factory hose clamps with standard worm-style hose clamps.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

I replaced my upper/lower radiator hoses with replacement Goodyear that I got from AutoZone. I replaced the factory hose clamps with standard worm-style hose clamps

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am 
LOST Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Ive alwats been curious how you would replace the heater hoses on the kj but Ive never heard of someone doing it.

Does that $65 replaced all the hard likes too?

I believe it does, as an assembly. Here's how it looks in the '02 Parts List. Figure 24-230.

Post subject: Re: Who has replaced the heater hoses ? 3.7L.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:52 am 
LOST Newbie

I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but this applies to me now. At 165k + miles my heater hose assembly just failed while I was driving home, fortunately it failed within a quarter mile from my house. The failure was substantial and without warning, no noticeable weeping or odor prior to the failure. The fail point was about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch section that blew out under the coolant reservoir. Unfortunately no parts stores can get me the parts until Monday and Dealer was closed. The repair looks to be straight forward remove clamps, pull hoses off of heater core, reservoir, and water pump. I may pull the fans out for easier access as it looks a bit tight in the front. Once I get the repair done I'll update on how easy / difficult it was.

Tow Package,Tow Hooks,
Engine Skid
Mudd Flaps
235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T's
Tekonsha Voyager Brake cntlr
Whelen Dash King Single Strobe w/ Custom windshield mount.

IF YOU MUST RUN AWAY; DO SO QUIETLY, SCREAMING LOOKS BAD ON THE NEWS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I was able to replace the heater hose assembly, start to finish was about 1 hour of work. I removed the coolant reservoir by removing the 2, 10mm nuts and disconnecting the hose from the bottom of the coolant reservoir. You can just flip the tank to the side.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156862941672244&l=c63f0e3cd4 I then removed the Air intake from the air filter box, and then pulled the filter box out of the Jeep. The air filter box is just held in with grommets and plastic plugs. You may have to jiggle it a bit but it pops right out. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156862941682244&l=15e0bac494 Once these parts are removed you have easy access to the entire Heater hose assembly. Remove the remaining hose clamps, in total there are 5, 2 at the heater core, 1 at the coolant reservoir, and 2 at the front of the engine below the idler pulley. After you remove the clamps and separate the hoses from the engine you'll need to remove the assembly. It is held to the engine by 2 plastic brackets that slide over 2 studs on the engine. The one at the rear of the engine needs to be removed first this is on a valve cover bolt. To remove it pull it towards the passenger side fender. The 2nd bracket is on a stud located below the PCV Valve. Re install the new assembly in reverse order, refill the coolant and purge out the air and you’re done. It’s a pretty easy job.

here is a Pic of the failed hose https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156862941677244&l=0ac3b70015

Tow Package,Tow Hooks,
Engine Skid
Mudd Flaps
235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T's
Tekonsha Voyager Brake cntlr
Whelen Dash King Single Strobe w/ Custom windshield mount.

IF YOU MUST RUN AWAY; DO SO QUIETLY, SCREAMING LOOKS BAD ON THE NEWS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

ump107 wrote:
I was able to replace the heater hose assembly,[/url]

I just saw this post. I started the thread way back, and have never done the job.

I DO have a Dorman replacement heater hose assembly, and I also have the individual Gates pieces.

Can the metal crimp pieces be cut off and the small hoses placed in with hose clamps ? I'm guessing these hoses are of better quality than the Dorman hoses in the assembly.