It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, LMW. I ordered a set of Speed Bleeders from Speed Bleeder. Question. How much brake fluid should I have on hand to replace all the fluid? I don't want to buy too much. Thanks.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

candpliberty wrote:
Thanks, LMW. I ordered a set of Speed Bleeders from Speed Bleeder. Question. How much brake fluid should I have on hand to replace all the fluid? I don't want to buy too much. Thanks.

IIRC, I used a bit over a liter. If you get the ATE stuff, it comes in a metal can which will keep the moisture out. Good stuff!

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got 2 quarts. Now to do the task!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok so I have a 2005 jeep liberty with no abs, I changed my calipers, rear brake hoses, and master cylinder. and no matter how much I bleed my brakes, when I start it the petal is still squishy. I have no leaks anywhere and all my brake lines are brand new. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you disable your ABS? Is the ABS pump unit still installed? There might be air trapped in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

no I didn't disable it, it doesn't have abs at all. it does have a proportioning valve, but I get fluid out of it so its not clogged.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you bleed the master cylinder?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

yes sir. bench bled it before I installed it. then bled the brakes again after I installed it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

darn, bro. I'm at a loss. Maybe some crud keeping a bleeder valve from sealing. It sounds like you checked all the connections and check for leaks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

yep im at a loss also but thanks man! I think im gonna hit a junk yard on Monday and try to get another proportioning valve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You suspect the proportioning valve? It's not leaking or stucking air, is it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

nope wasn't that. I figured it out. It's gonna sound like a rookie mistake. but I only changed the driver side caliper. and as I sat down defeated behind the jeep. I sat and just looked at it then I saw it, they gave me the passenger side caliper! I didn't even look because we've had horrible weather here in ohio, and I had to rush to get it done. the bleeder valve was on the bottom! so no matter how much I bled it would never have worked. p.s. I don't have a garage and have a low sitting gravel driveway that was why I was rushing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sit and stare. Works everytime! Glad you got it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 pm 

edge970 wrote:
nope wasn't that. I figured it out. It's gonna sound like a rookie mistake. but I only changed the driver side caliper. and as I sat down defeated behind the jeep. I sat and just looked at it then I saw it, they gave me the passenger side caliper! I didn't even look because we've had horrible weather here in ohio, and I had to rush to get it done. the bleeder valve was on the bottom! so no matter how much I bled it would never have worked. p.s. I don't have a garage and have a low sitting gravel driveway that was why I was rushing.

Reminds me of a past experience back in the late 60's (telling on my age now), a line mechanic at a shop where I was working had rebuilt the two front calipers on a vehicle and reinstalled them but could not get them to bleed out. He had done pumped so much brake fluid through them that it was running out from under the car and into the drain in the center of the shop. He finally admitted defeat as bad as he hatted to and had to ask for my help since I was the official shop foreman. I walked over, took one look at them and told him if he would swap sides with them they would bleed out. He had invertely installed the left on the right side and the right side on the left and the bleeder valves were on the bottom of the calipers and would have never bleed out.

Sometimes you just got to step back and take a hard look and rethink a problem....or get a second opinion.
I have even walked away from a problem and slept on it overnight only to find a viable solution the next day. :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

According to the FSM, an OBDII scan tool with ABS bleeding function is required. Where can this scan tool be purchased?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm 

HDP wrote:
According to the FSM, an OBDII scan tool with ABS bleeding function is required. Where can this scan tool be purchased?

Don't have to have it, just get yourself a good power bleeder and save a lot of money. :wink:
Get one like this:> Motive Products 0113 Power Bleeder

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Certainly not an expert, but Ive put vehicles on jack stands and with the vehicle running in D, I applied the brakes so the abs pump kicks in. I have my vacuum bleeder or pressure bleeder going while doing this so the air is pushed/pulled out when the pump opens the abs valves.

Ive also got a snap on scan tool so I just kick the pump on now a days...

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm not as old as WWdiesel, but I've done at least 6 different full brake jobs on 4 different car manufacturers, all had ABS and on all of them I just depressed the front (only!) calipers in without opening the caliper valves. The rear calipers rotate and ratchet, so it's best to rent the tool or in a pinch you can use a C clamp. Never even heard of bleeding the calipers while depressing the pistons. Probably the safest method, but I certainly have not had any issues with my ABS systems. In my thinking, opening up the brake system (at all) is a risky proposition for air intrusion and without a full brake bleed I couldn't be sure that I didn't get something in the lines. So I'll stick to my tried-n-true method. I've also never heard of someone changing brake fluid every year... wowzers!

I try to change my fluid every 5 years or so, and even doing that I think is a step further than most people. It's not uncommon for brake fluid to never be changed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm 

mercdude wrote:
I'm not as old as WWdiesel, but I've done at least 6 different full brake jobs on 4 different car manufacturers, all had ABS and on all of them I just depressed the front (only!) calipers in without opening the caliper valves. The rear calipers rotate and ratchet, so it's best to rent the tool or in a pinch you can use a C clamp. Never even heard of bleeding the calipers while depressing the pistons. Probably the safest method, but I certainly have not had any issues with my ABS systems. In my thinking, opening up the brake system (at all) is a risky proposition for air intrusion and without a full brake bleed I couldn't be sure that I didn't get something in the lines. So I'll stick to my tried-n-true method. I've also never heard of someone changing brake fluid every year... wowzers!
I try to change my fluid every 5 years or so, and even doing that I think is a step further than most people. It's not uncommon for brake fluid to never be changed.

Opening the bleeder valve when depressing a caliper piston back in its housing when installing new brake pads will certainly work, buy like you said, not really necessary, done hundreds of them this way. It will push the brake fluid back up into the brake fluid reservoir and many times will overflow the brake fluid all over everything under it. Opening the bleeder valve when depressing a caliper piston can prevent that.

But if you are replacing the calipers or want to bleed the entire brake system, that is where having a power bleeder or a scan tool to operate the ABS pump can really be super helpful and beneficial. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch