All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parking Brake Mounting Plate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Easy for you to say when you live in Colorado... your winters are half the length of mine and your climate is even drier, and you probably do not have the salt issues to deal with like Liberty owners down East.

I have not always lived in Colorado,my KJ has seen it's fair share of salt(they use sodium chloride solution here in CO which is worse).I originally was in South Dakota with pretty bad winters(Feb average temps well below zero) and still washed it every sunday regardless.

It is still a problem, due mainly to cheaply and flimsily made O.E. parts. Not all of us have the time or the facilities to get behind the rear wheels to spray them directly, and there is no guarantee this will even work most of the time because the worst rust is inside the parking brake drum.

I have heard other vehicles with the rear disc/parking brake drum set up having similar problems... I am wondering why, for example, G.M. went back to drum rear brakes for a while on their Chevy, (and I assume GMC), pickup trucks.
Yeah I see severely corroded backing plates all the time at work,and they all have plates from salt states and from how the rest of the vehicle looks(inside and out) and runs it's 100% owner neglect(20k on a oil change,50k past due on plugs,50k past due on timing belt).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:00 pm 
LOST Addict

[/quote]Yeah I see severely corroded backing plates all the time at work,and they all have plates from salt states and from how the rest of the vehicle looks(inside and out) and runs it's 100% owner neglect(20k on a oil change,50k past due on plugs,50k past due on timing belt).[/quote]

So you are saying that development of a stainless steel backing plate and retaining pins is a waste of time? I think I can manufacture them inexpensively enough to sell them for about 25% to 40% less than the O.E. replacement assembly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah I see severely corroded backing plates all the time at work,and they all have plates from salt states and from how the rest of the vehicle looks(inside and out) and runs it's 100% owner neglect(20k on a oil change,50k past due on plugs,50k past due on timing belt).[/quote]

So you are saying that development of a stainless steel backing plate and retaining pins is a waste of time? I think I can manufacture them inexpensively enough to sell them for about 25% to 40% less than the O.E. replacement assembly.[/quote]
Most likely not strong enough for the job at hand.SS is not the material wanted for a high stress application,plus it does rust also.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah I see severely corroded backing plates all the time at work,and they all have plates from salt states and from how the rest of the vehicle looks(inside and out) and runs it's 100% owner neglect(20k on a oil change,50k past due on plugs,50k past due on timing belt).

So you are saying that development of a stainless steel backing plate and retaining pins is a waste of time? I think I can manufacture them inexpensively enough to sell them for about 25% to 40% less than the O.E. replacement assembly.[/quote]
Most likely not strong enough for the job at hand.SS is not the material wanted for a high stress application,plus it does rust also.[/quote]

1) This is not a high stress application... it merely holds the handbrake parts in place. The anchor for the handbrake parts is actually a piece of the same iron casting that holds the caliper.

2) Since when is stainless steel never used in high stress applications? Stainless steel has been used for many years - for example - as disc rotors on motorcycles.

3) I have checked with 2 different sources... 316 stainless steel is an excellent alloy for corrosion resistance. In fact, it is used in salt water environments.

4) The O.E. backing plate is maybe 16 gauge steel... I am planning on using 12 gauge 316 stainless steel. In no way can carbon 16 gauge sheet steel match 12 gauge stainless steel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

(4) The O.E. backing plate is maybe 16 gauge steel... I am planning on using 12 gauge 316 stainless steel. In no way can carbon 16 gauge sheet steel match 12 gauge stainless steel.

16g HHS which is as strong as material twice it's thickness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:53 am 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
(4) The O.E. backing plate is maybe 16 gauge steel... I am planning on using 12 gauge 316 stainless steel. In no way can carbon 16 gauge sheet steel match 12 gauge stainless steel.

Sonce your bringing up HHS......why not titanium? :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

G.O.A.T. wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Sonce your bringing up HHS......why not titanium? :banghead:

Depends on the titanium alloy,some are very weak(brittle) while others are very strong.

I've got some titanium parts on my 1/5 scale RC and at least those are the parts that never will fail,pricey but worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:

Can you please elaborate a little more regarding this statement?

It seems to be making too broad a claim... what kind of material are you comparing "16g HHS" to?

When you write "16g HHS", do you mean 16 gauge high speed steel? I Googled HHS on the internet, and the only information I found that makes sense - other than the search switching to HSS - is a link to a type of armor plating.

If you are indeed meaning HHS I have the following problems...

1) Very hard to find.

2) Even if this material is available it would be prohibitively expensive.

3) It would be subject to corrosion due to its carbon content.

4) Probably hard to form by stamping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

It seems to be making too broad a claim... what kind of material are you comparing "16g HHS" to?

When you write "16g HHS", do you mean 16 gauge high speed steel? I Googled HHS on the internet, and the only information I found that makes sense - other than the search switching to HSS - is a link to a type of armor plating.

1) Very hard to find.

Sorry fat fingers,it was supposed to be HSS.

It's not cost prohibitive,most of the KJ(along with every other vehicle) has a lot of it already in the vehicle.All your rear diff mounts and cradle are HSS.Any metal,and I mean any metal, will corrode. Proper care is what keeps from setting in quickly.

The ARB bumpers for KJ's is 100% HSS and I bought one for $600 brand new from 4 wheel parts.It's like 1/8" think and designed to take kangaroo hits at speed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

I see there's 2 piece backing plates for 2003, 2004, 2005 but not for 2006.

Does anyone know why?

What's different on 2006?

Is there a way to cut a single piwcw in half and put it back together?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

Last edited by jrsavoie on Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:

1) Very hard to find.

Sorry fat fingers,it was supposed to be HSS.

It's not cost prohibitive,most of the KJ(along with every other vehicle) has a lot of it already in the vehicle.All your rear diff mounts and cradle are HSS.Any metal,and I mean any metal, will corrode. Proper care is what keeps from setting in quickly.

The ARB bumpers for KJ's is 100% HSS and I bought one for $600 brand new from 4 wheel parts.It's like 1/8" think and designed to take kangaroo hits at speed.

I suspect that people are getting High Speed Steel mixed up with High Strength Steel.
High strength Steel is a generic term for a range of steel alloys used in many applications.
316 stainless steel is different again. It has many applications including marine, food & chemical industries.
Many appear confused about the term "gauge". 16 gauge is 1/16" thick, 12 gauge is 1/12" thick & so thicker.
There are several newer High Strength Steel alloys available. Most car bodies (fenders etc) are now made of "High Strength Steel". this allows them to be much thinner & so lighter.
If one wants a corrosion resistant alloy steel, it is common to use a NiResist alloy.
316 stainless is widely used. Its biggest limitation is stress corrosion cracking. Weaker, softer alloys are often used to avoid this.
For choosing a suitable steel for use in this application in the rust belt, one should first have a good read of the relevant sections of
'Chemical Engineers Handbook' by Perry et al. Google searches do not provide the necessary technical depth on this.