It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering rack insulator bushings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can the steering rack bushings be replaced without removing the rack?
If anyons has done this please share the secret to how.
I've had the rack replaced before due to leaking and now the bushings are shot. I can see the rack move if I hit a wheel with my knee.
I found the bushings listed in another thread from NAPA for $14.00 per.
Any advise appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

When I did the bushings on my lower control arms, I burned the rubber portion out with a torch and then used an air hammer to get the out metal cylinder out. I then used a ball joint press to push in the new ones. I not sure if heating up the stearing rack would cause harm to it.

Also, someone posted not to long ago a fix where they placed rubber washers on each side of the old bushing and torqued it back down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Yes ! I replaced a set on a LOST member's over the summer. Remove the large bolts to the steering rack, disconnect the steering shaft, disconnect the outter tierods from the steering knuckles. You can then lift the steering rack and move it around and push/ knock out the bushing's from the top between the rad. and the engine with a prybar/ screw driver/ punch and a hammer. Then lube up new rubber insulator's with some greese and reinstall insulator's !!!

14 STI Wagon
75 Cutlass "S"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Glad to hear it can be done.
I assume the fans and shroud need to come out first?
I'll be digging into it this week. I'll try to snap some pics and post with results.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Napa's web site lists top and bottom bushings (same part#)
However the guy at NAPA says the system only shows Left and Right.
Are there only 2 bushings or 4?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

im pretty sure there are only 2, dont quote me on that though

winch, air compressor
2/75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 am 
LOST Junkie

There are two bushing's ! If you have a mech. fan you have to remove it, but I left the electric fan in and had room to remove and install the bushing's !

14 STI Wagon
75 Cutlass "S"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It looks like I also need to replace these bushings and will probably do it this weekend with the install of my upper a-arms and lower ball joints, thought it may have to wait another week or so.

What tools are needed for this job? Any thing else to watch out for while doing this job? Any and all additional info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Also see

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=45830&highlight=

Band-aid fix still going strong after 3,000 miles...

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey phxtoad...that looks like a great work around but I already went to Jeep and bought the new bushings for the rack and on Saturday I will be doing the fix described above by 1996xj. I'll also have a set of Jeepin By Al's upper A-arms to install, providing the UPS man is kind to me tomorrow and leaves me a box from PA!!!

If I can find a local shop to press out the old LCA bushings and press in the new ones, I may do those as well while I have the front end apart.

My mechanic skills are decent I suppose but, if things "go south" on me Saturday, your fix will be my paln B until I can get the KJ to a real machanic.

Thanks to all for the great info!!

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dang! UPS didn't deliver today so all I am prepared to do tomorrow are the rack bushings so I may just wait until next weekend so that I can do all the front bushings at once, as long as I have things apart.

I went ahead and ordered the clevis to LCA bushings too so I should have everything by next weekend. Besides it's going to rain tomorrow here and I don't have a covered workspace.

Also I have not yet found a local shop that can press out the old LCA bushings and prese in the new ones for me, something I pretty much know is beyond what I can tackle myself in the driveway.

I am trying to get a few things fixed and a couple of others in place for the next LOST SoCal run on the 1st but we'll see how much actually gets done...! Too many hands on my time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, so the more I dug into it, looking at the steering and suspension it also appears I need a new rack and pinion assembly. On the passenger side there is a little play in the tie-rod to rack connection but on the drivers side, the side with the obviously disintegrated bushing and the side where the clunks are heard on harder right hand turns, there is a lot of play at the same point, where the tie-rod connects to the rack assembly itself.

The KJ has 114,000+ miles on it so it's not too much of a surprise. So my Saturday Jeep work list grows:

-Install Al's upper a-arms
-Install new LCA bushings
-Install new LBJs
-Install new clevis bushings
-Install new (rebuilt?) rack and pinion with new bushings

Hmmm...what else can I find to replace up there...? Going to be a long Saturday but at least there will be no rain and I have a friend to help.

*UPDATE: Dec. 20, 2009 - All went fairly well. I found an auto parts/machine shop about 3 blocks from me that was able to handle the pressing out and in of the bushings and LBJs in a couple of hours. The toughest part was the rack and pinion. I'm glad I did the job myself and I think the results are solid (knock wood) but it was a tough 2 days, even with the great help I had the first day. I'll get the alignment and PS flush tomorrow the judge then difference in handling, bumps, dips etc.