WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS,
DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE
ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING
COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT
DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE
THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE,
THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM
CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING
FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS
IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG
SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS
COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL
AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL
NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from
the vehicle and the two halves of the housing separated
for service access of the heater core, evaporator
coil, blend door, and each of the various
(1) Disconnect and isolate the negative battery
(2) Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle
(Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL -
(3) If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning,
go to Step 9. If the vehicle is equipped with
air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the
refrigerant system (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR
CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - STANDARD PROCEDURE
- REFRIGERANT RECOVERY)
(4) Remove the accumulator and mounting bracket
from the mounting studs on the dash panel.
(5) Remove the nuts that secure the suction line
and liquid line fittings to the evaporator tapping
block (Fig. 7).
(6) Disconnect the suction line and liquid line fittings
from the evaporator tapping block.
(7) Remove the seals from the suction line and liquid
line fittings and discard.
( 8 ) Install plugs in, or tape over the opened suction
line and liquid line fittings and both evaporator
tapping block ports.
(9) Drain the engine cooling system (Refer to 7 -
COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
(10) Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater
core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened
heater core tubes.
(11) Disconnect the HVAC system vacuum supply
line connector from the engine vacuum harness.
(12) Remove the nuts that secure the HVAC housing
to the dash panel in the engine compartment.
(13) Remove the HVAC housing from inside the
vehicle taking care not to allow any remaining coolant
to drain on the vehicles interior.