It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Pressure light, please help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

This problem started happening in the winter time. I will start my car let it warm up for about 5 min then take off. Everythings fine as im driving but when i come to a stop the oil pressure lights comes on and stay's on until i start accelerating and then it goes off again and this continuously happens. My oil level is normal im using 5w30.

Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure light, please help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd like to hear any replies about this. I just bought an '02 KJ off my dad. Before he drove it up (MI) from TN he had the oil changed (I believe 5w30). Since I've had it (a couple of weeks) it's done the same thing. Occassionally, I'll pull up to a stop and the Oil Pressure light will pop on. If I rev the engine or accelerate from the stop, the light goes off. My dad said it's never happened to him before.

Talking to some of my buddies, they mentioned a low oil level, bad sensor, or bad oil pump might be to blame. So far, there's been no indication of loss of oil to the engine (rough idle or engine temperature spiking). It's a bit disconcerting.

Anybody got advice for us noobs?

thanks,
jc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm 
LOST Member

I went through this once, most likely culprit is the oil pressure sensor :dead: :grim: .

2002 Liberty, salsa red
1997 Wrangler, dark green

PSN ID: David_Lucas (Burnout: Paradise, Battlefield: Bad Company/Bad Company2)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Yep, probably the oil pressure sender. Mine went last year. Get the pressure checked just in case though.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I previously had the same issue. I changed the oil pressure sending unit and the problem disappeared for about 9 months and now it's back. I don't know if it has any bearing on this, but when I changed the sending unit back in the spring, I also changed from Mobil1 0w-40 to Rotella t6 5w-40. I recently changed the oil....going back to Mobil1 0w-40, and the problem has returned. Coincidence ? Maybe. Another LOST member mentioned the possibility of a bad oil filter. Spring oil change I used a Purolator filter. Mid summer change I used a Fram, and latest change was back to a Purolator. Next oil change will be back to Rotella T6, and maybe a Mobil 1 filter. Jeep is running fine.....no strange noises, no oil leaks, oil level is fine.