It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another blown motor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 am 
LOST Member

My boss just called to inform me that his motor has bit the dust the same way mine went about 4 months ago.
His overheated and he tried to keep going to get home. Its an 04 in NW New Jersey any thoughts or any one know of a motor any where near NJ?
Its amazing how many you hear of with blown motors.
Really makes it hard to keep buying jeep products
As always thanks

Post subject: Re: another blown motor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:11 pm 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
jimjeep0 wrote:
His overheated and he tried to keep going to get home.

This sounds like the problem... :roll: :( Still sucks though.

Agreed. True, it sucks :( , but it isn't a problem with Jeep quality, durability or design. When a vehicle overheats and you choose to keep going, you take the risk of major damage. If an overheated vehicle was safe to drive, there wouldn't be any need for a cooling system in the first place.

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wecwbe wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
jimjeep0 wrote:
His overheated and he tried to keep going to get home.

This sounds like the problem... :roll: :( Still sucks though.

Agreed. True, it sucks :( , but it isn't a problem with Jeep quality, durability or design. When a vehicle overheats and you choose to keep going, you take the risk of major damage. If an overheated vehicle was safe to drive, there wouldn't be any need for a cooling system in the first place.

X2.........

Overheat and suffer the consequences.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

I agree with the fact he probably pushed it to far.
Mine had nothing to do with overheating but I am amazed at how many I hear about motors going bad. I had multiple places tell me how often they see them(3.7) and how hard it is to get a motor when (try to get an 02)they go.
I don't even want to talk about it anymore as I do not want to jinx myself.
No disrespect as I would love a new one and am a huge jeep fan, my 73 CJ5 give mealot less headaches.
Check your oil everyday.
Keep on jeepin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jimjeep0 wrote:
I agree with the fact he probably pushed it to far.
Mine had nothing to do with overheating but I am amazed at how many I hear about motors going bad. I had multiple places tell me how often they see them(3.7) and how hard it is to get a motor when (try to get an 02)they go.
I don't even want to talk about it anymore as I do not want to jinx myself.
No disrespect as I would love a new one and am a huge jeep fan, my 73 CJ5 give mealot less headaches.
Check your oil everyday.
Keep on jeepin.

Well with 1.2 million KJ's on the road(most have the 3.7) and the countless other 3.7's in other Chrysler vehicles your going to have some blown up motors and the internet will only have the bad ones listed with searches and none that are just fine even with 200,000+ miles.The older the engine the more likely of major failure,the 3.7 V6 is a 9 year old platform based off of a 11 year platform V8.

Just like any mass produced product you will have good ones and bad ones.I see more blown honda and toyota 4 poppers then any other engine at work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Well i just blew my motor.. 144k miles..
so here is the deal about 2 months ago i had hard start problems and lack of power engine light came on..
took it to put it on a computer cost me 75 bucks just to find a throttle sensor was shorting out.. no big deal
i lived with it. checked all my fluids like always.. ( every time i lift the hood i check fluids) in this case i had a headlight go out.. so i changed it and checked all my fluids. oil was a bit low but not bad i was going in for an oil change in two weeks anyway so not a biggie. The DAY i was going to take the jeep in for an oil change.. was the day the motor went.
Boom clack clack clack.. "what the f***" i limped it 1 mile into the mechanics. first thing.. lift the hood and check all fluids just before the mechanic comes out... I check the oil first .. "what the F***** where is my oil? SH%%% F%^&
Then where is my coolant??? oh ya my coolant was friggen gone to.. i JUST had my radiator flushed two weeks ago and i dont have a leak so what the hell?
mechanic comes out "you have the hood up thats not a good sign whats going on? Start it up. 2 seconds and mechanic is waving me down shut it off shut it off.. So What happend??? no oil light came on. No engine light came on.. where did my oil go? and why is there no oil in my tail pipe?

Well i found the coolant .. it was in the motor. but still wondering about the oil.. the mechanic that put my new motor in said it was just a sheen of metal on top of my oil/coolant
im 6k into my friggen engine swap..

What is different with a 2003 than a 2004-2006?

Bend oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 am 
LOST Member

Did your mechanic ever find outwhat happened to it ??.....

Mine dropped a valve due to a broken valve spring (83K miles), but I had got the warranty from the dealership when I bought it so the motor was covered. The rental car costs to go from IN to SC to pick it up were not covered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can't complain about my motor at all. It's just shy of 115,000 miles and it still purrs like a kitten and runs as good as the day is new. I also do all of my scheduled maintenance on time, myself, so I know it's done correctly. I also take extra steps to insure my motor will last another 115K miles and 7 years. As with anything - If you love it, you'll tell 5 people; if you hate it, you'll tell 10. That's why you always hear about the bad motors. No one says "Well, my engine is running fine again today, just like yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that and ...". Know what I mean?

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:40 pm 
LOST Member

SavageUrge wrote:
I can't complain about my motor at all. It's just shy of 115,000 miles and it still purrs like a kitten and runs as good as the day is new. I also do all of my scheduled maintenance on time, myself, so I know it's done correctly. I also take extra steps to insure my motor will last another 115K miles and 7 years. As with anything - If you love it, you'll tell 5 people; if you hate it, you'll tell 10. That's why you always hear about the bad motors. No one says "Well, my engine is running fine again today, just like yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that and ...". Know what I mean?

x2. I have a few complaints about the kj, but the motor isn't one of them. It seems solid, still sounds like it's brand new and I've got over 86,000 miles on it. Replaced a pinion seal on the diff last weekend. Put on a new tensioner as a precaution. The only 'unforgivable' problem I've had with the KJ was a failed ignition switch which begets a new steering column. But the engine is as solid as a rock.

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend: