It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trail Etiquette
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

4X4 Trail Etiquette

On many of the trail rides I have been on I have witnessed some lack of trail etiquette. I will also admit that I have been guilty of one or more myself. I did a web search on the topic and found some very good ideas. So what I did was take a little from this one, and a little from that one, and combined them into what I THINK is a pretty good list.

I would like to invite anyone to add to this list as they care to.

1. When traveling on the trail, be sure to keep one eye on the person directly behind you. If you can see further than one person, do it. Doing this will keep everyone together. If someone breaks down, gets stuck or makes a wrong turn it will be noticed.
Be courteous to the other people you meet on the trail. Not just other 4X4 drivers. When you meet them slow down to a crawl. This is especially true when encountering horses.

2. Be prepared for the type of terrain and trails you will be on. Some items should be mandatory and are in some off road parks. These include, but not limited to, front and rear tow points, tow straps, tree savers, tools , water and maps. The list can go on and on but try to keep it simple.

3. 4X4 trails are not the Brickyard 500. Keep on trail speeds below 20mph. Slow down and enjoy the view. This was brought up by almost all of the sites in one form or another.

4. Respect the environment. Trash in, trash out. In fact take out more than you took in.

5. Stay on the trails. Don’t decide to make a new one. Do not spin donuts etc. This just causes undue stress on the land and promotes soil erosion.

6. Do NOT consume alcohol while on the trail. Drivers and/or passengers have impaired judgment and reflexes under the influence of alcohol. Save it for after the ride!

7. The rule of: First in Last Out. When you come to a dead end and must turn around do it in a safe and orderly manner. The last person should be the first one to turn around, followed by the second to last. This way nobody is caught off guard and backing into someone.

8. Always have a means to communicate with the other drivers. This could be with a CB radio or FRS radios. If you have a cell phone take it along also…just in case.

9. Do not tailgate the person in front of you. Especially important when going into any kind of obstacle. Wait for the other person to finish before going forward. Once you are through the obstacle do NOT stop dead on the trail. Move off to the side at a safe distance.

10 When meeting someone on a hill the person going up hill has the right away. Backing down hill can be very dangerous.

Terry

Last edited by Fulltimer on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trail Etiquette
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think if we all work out some good rules and follow them it would be to our benefit. After a list is complete it should be made a sticky. Then print it out and take it along on rides for everyone to see that we LOSTJEEPS members are responsible trail riders.

Terry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Fulltimer wrote:
When meeting someone on a hill the person going up hill has the right away. Backing down hill can be very dangerous. Terry

This is an important rule that a lot of people I have met don't know. The reason it is dangerous to back down a hill is that your front wheels are the ones that you steer with. When you are backing down hill, the front wheels are uphill and the steeper it is, the less weight is on these wheels. Less weight means less traction/ability to steer the vehicle which leads to instability which is a really bad thing. :dead:

When you are backing up hill, much more weight is on the front wheels and therefore your ability to steer, and thus control the vehicle, is improved. :D

I think this thread is a great idea. :rockon:

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm 

Sticky-ed... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 am 
LOST Addict

Another thing, don't be chopping down living trees just so you ca squeeze through a trail. If you can't make it, you can't make it. That tree could be home to many animals. You don't want someone coming and chopping down your house do you?

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

whast if you gotta chop down a tree to get your self unstuck? is it cool then?

Black 2000 TJ Sport
Rubicon express 1" spacer lift
BF Goodrich 31"x10.5"R15's on stock rims
33x12.5 Micky Thompson Baja Claw Radials on american racing rims

KC Daylighter 6" off road lamps
JKS Quicker Disconnects

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Xx_Flip_xX wrote:

It would seem that you should be able to get out the same way you went in. Or the way you were going. Unless you were driving into the tree on purpose. :lol: I think there are times when there just isn't any way around the fact that vegetation is going to be damaged. But we should try our best not to destroy any.

With areas being closed off to us on a regular basis we don't need to give "THEM" any excuses to close more. That is basically what is behind Tread Lightly.

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 am 
LOST Addict

Good list....have a few more:

Let the more capable rigs go first
Always bring a tow strap
Have recovery points front/rear

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HoosierJeeper wrote:

Always bring a tow strap

The bottom 2 are covered in #2. Would it be better to have the more capable rigs spaced out so they could help easier? I think the lead one should be who ever is lifted the most if there will be some water fording.

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:46 am 
LOST Addict

Fulltimer wrote:
HoosierJeeper wrote:

Always bring a tow strap

The bottom 2 are covered in #2. Would it be better to have the more capable rigs spaced out so they could help easier? I think the lead one should be who ever is lifted the most if there will be some water fording.

Terry

x2.
Just like when Parker went through that water hole! Good thing I didn't go first. :lol:

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 am 

In some of my experiences, having a more capable rig near the front and one near the back works out pretty well. That way if you reach an area that is impassible and you have to turn around, you don't have the newbie in the stock vehicle in the back to try to lead people out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
In some of my experiences, having a more capable rig near the front and one near the back works out pretty well. That way if you reach an area that is impassible and you have to turn around, you don't have the newbie in the stock vehicle in the back to try to lead people out.

X100 on this !

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:25 am 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:

I'm usually in the middle. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Xx_Flip_xX wrote:

No,it's called "stay the trail".If that mud hole is blocked off don't go play in it,basically stick to the legal trail.If you bring it with you you must take it with you,don't litter and bring extra trash bags so if you see trash just take a few minutes and clean it up and pack it out.See a tree that fell onto the trail and people have been driving off trail around it,if it is easily moved just stop and move it off the trail.Don't make your own by pass if that obstical scares you,go over it or turn around and go back.Also remember that some trails are "one way" only trails,please follow that rule.Do your research before going to a trail for the 1st time,saves alot of headaches and keeps other groups from getting pissed off at you.Allow faster groups to pass when there is a safe place to pull over and allow then to pass.If you meet a group the 2 leads should always tell each other how many rigs are in each group.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Budke wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:

I'm usually in the middle. :D

I'm usually the last vehicle,no one even spots me anymore :cry: ,dang lockers :twisted: .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you know those rolls of trashbags that you can get at walmart and target, theres like 300 trashbags in them but there no bigger than an umbrella? usually the trashbag size is 5 gallon for like small office trashcans

that's what i use, i usually stuff 5 or 6 of the black leaf bags under the seat incase I have to dispose of something larger, contain a fluid spill etc or use it to lay on or wear one for a parka

but the small ones, certainly handy for cleaning up the trail, last beach trip i took i pretty much walked 1/8th mile on either side of our fishing spot picking up debris, over the period of 5 or 6 days i disposed of 30 bags of garbage, pretty much cleaned the entire beach front and it looked much better than being littered with busted nets/crab cages etc that while are dangerous for small foul.. apparently do a pretty good job of trapping and holding OTHER garbage in the ocean, one of them that i disposed of probably had 30 lbs of garbage in it

i follow the same rules that i use if i borrow someones shop, leave it cleaner than it was when I got there and put their tools back where they belong

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepinJarhead03 30 bags of garbage! :shock: That place must have been a real mess. Good job!

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well it was Carolina Beach :P It gets a ton of traffic, has a ton of offshore fishing and is very close to one of the inlets. Some of the garbage comes from other beaches and some is from the traffic there.

Much of the stuff was simple items that people lose in the ocean on accident, sunglasses, swimming goggles, snorkel dodas, a flipper or surf shoe Found a unopened cans of beer that the born on date was still good :P

And some of it was just unrecognizable refuse, bits of rope, busted nets, parts of crab boxes

out of all the stuff i picked up, i wouldn't say any of it was inherently dangerous to people on the beach or animals, no 6 pack rings, the crab box pieces and nets were generally full of garbage already as they kind of sifted the surf as they got stuck and burried at the water line

didn't come across any used rubbers or needles or nothing like that

did find 5 dollars and an unbroken sand dollar

most of the litter on the beach there tends to be partially burned wood from camp fires, which I always run around and collect because it makes good coals for cooking

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I happen to be a Tread Lightly trainer. Here's a link to a printable guide to sharing the trails with the rest of humanity: http://www.treadlightly.org/files/page_text/TrailShareTips_sm.pdf

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Great list!!!

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.