It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Optima Batteries
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What is the number on the optima red top that fits the libby?

Does it mount the same way as the stock battery with the little clamp at the bottom or what? Im getting a sub and amp put back there if it would ever come in, and im purty sure im going to explode the stock battery lol jk. but im sure it wont last long, so whats the price on that and where do u all buy them from?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:52 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

If you go to Optima's site they have a battery locator by vehicle. It shows no matches for any year liberty. Wierd since some folks have them. Not sure which one would be best but Costco has good prices on them.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

i think the group 34 will fit the 2002-04. the 2005 come with optimas from the factory.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I believe the Optima batteries are basically one size fits all, with some differences. The red top, the most common in use, has a variation that has side as well as top posts. The blue top is intended for marine use, though not limited to that, and the yellow top is a deep cycle version intended for relatively lighter drain than starting or winching, but over a longer period of time before recharging is necessary. Most people I know use the red top.

Their main assets are long life, dependability, and being leak proof in case you intend to spend a lot of time upside down or sideways. They sometimes are a bit lower powered than the lead acid batteries used for bigger vehicles, probably because of Optima's size and construction. However, the power is more than enough for the Liberty and they don't need any steenking water. I've had a red top in my Wrangler for over 5 years now and it's still going strong despite heavy use including winching. No corrosion, either.

As far as Optima's web site is concerned, their info is not correct. As Nanette pointed out, they don't show a model for the Liberty. So, I looked up one for my Wrangler and they don't show a model for that either! There are many, many in use in Wranglers and other Jeep models. So much for their marketing. The lead acid battery that came in my Renegade measures 10 1/4"L, 7"W, and 8 3/4"H. The red top in my Wrangler is 10 1/4"L, 7"W, and 8 1/4"H. So the Optima is one half inch shorter, which poses no problem. Both have top posts. The Renegade battery is fastened at the bottom, requiring a lip. My red top is fastened with a top cross piece but does have a small lip at the bottom which looks as though it would do. Make sure the battery you buy has a bottom lip in case they've changed the cases. If not, though, you could still get top securing hardware. No bungee cords.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:18 am 
LOST Addict

My '05 Liberty CRD came with the Red Top from the factory. You guys want the model number off of it? I'll go out and get it if you want...

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:48 am 
LOST Newbie

I have an optima in mine. I don't have the model number off hand, but I picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts in Lansing, MI. Basically I had to bend the terminals do that they would reach over the side of the batter, nothing at all that will hurt anything. Just go there and see what they have (any parts store the carries them). I asked about it and I told him I would think about it and he imediately said he would givie it to me for $95 OTD. Not a bad price so I took it.

Bought it after this.

You might not see it but it was rolled and sat there for 3 hours. Batter was completely shot, lost all of its acid. Nobody was hurt and only cost 2500 to get repaired +2 new tires and batter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:24 pm 
LOST Member

Here ya go. This picture was taken just a few minutes ago from my 2005 Limited CRD.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thx longarm, ill save that pic for when i get it. :)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: CRD does 3.7L gets it to?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

jeepkj02 wrote:
i think the group 34 will fit the 2002-04. the 2005 come with optimas from the factory.

I know CRD's come with Optimas because diesels require more battery to turn over. The 3.7L gets it to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:44 am 
Not sure how I missed this?....

I have a '02 Limited with a factory battery blanket. I use Optima Red top Group 75/35. (Advanced Auto Parts - part # 27980).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tskalil wrote:
I believe the Optima batteries are basically one size fits all, with some differences. The red top, the most common in use, has a variation that has side as well as top posts. The blue top is intended for marine use, though not limited to that, and the yellow top is a deep cycle version intended for relatively lighter drain than starting or winching, but over a longer period of time before recharging is necessary. Most people I know use the red top.

Actually, the yellow top is designed for things like winching.

From Optima's site:

Quote:
If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

IIRC, they will not warranty a red top if it has been used for deep cycle activities.

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install