It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Brake Pads
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:08 am 
LOST Member

I swapped out my front and rear brake pads about 8 months ago to Duralast Golds, the rears are doing fine but the fronts are horrid. They lack and great stopping power and throw out so much brake dust you would swear i had powdercoated black moabs up front only. I just want to swap out the front pads for something that wont blast me with brake powder? any suggestions?

ARB Deluxe bumper w/ Warn 9500i
Skid plates all under
ARB On-board Air w/ Front & Rear Air Lockers
JBA 4.5 UCA's
Lots O' Lights

"If it ain't broke...it might be after i try this!"

Post subject: Re: Best Brake Pads
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

x2 on this. I need rotors as well. No more cheap brake parts for me. Which manufacturers are best?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

DBA Rotors are awesome, With EBC Pads

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Always had the best luck with Napa's Premium rotors and the Adaptive One pads.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Always had the best luck with Napa's Premium rotors and the Adaptive One pads.

Any difference between these ROTORS
(NAPA)
Premium - $32
Ultra Premium - $53
Reactive One - $72
?
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

I really just want some good pads that wont dump out the brake dust, its so annoying to clean my rims twice a week and still look black!

ARB Deluxe bumper w/ Warn 9500i
Skid plates all under
ARB On-board Air w/ Front & Rear Air Lockers
JBA 4.5 UCA's
Lots O' Lights

"If it ain't broke...it might be after i try this!"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you considered ceramic pads? I believe they don't have nearly the brake dust of the semi-metallics. (Unless you are already using duralast ceramics - in which case, never mind)

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:19 am 
LOST Addict

Napa Ceramics here. Love them. Towed 1500 miles with them across the country, no issues. Dust is very low. Silent too.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

Last edited by patmaz on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

patmaz wrote:
Ceramic or carbon pads would make you happy,ebc are really good,but the carbon ones..And you could also get some cross drilled rotors,wich i run,it helps keeping the rotors at lower temp,plus the big difference is that the high heat gaz that brake pads cause can evaporate instead of sticking on the wheels and rotors..Plus you double the life of the brakes,and get more stopping power,you will never get any warped rotors again... :wink:

Really worth the money :D

And before you ask,NO,cross drilled rotors dont fail or crack if you get some good ones,like everything,just get the good ones,ive been running cross drilled on my cars/trucks for the past 10 years,and never had any problems,not even once. :mrgreen:

Cross drilled rotors do crack,see it all the time at work.Cross drilled rotors have only three effects,reduced rotating weight,look cool,and reduced braking performance.Yes cross drilled rotors actually reduce braking performance as less material is present to disapate heat,less material equals more heat which equals less braking performance,cracks,and warping.They are for race use only where reduced weight is key and brake longevity is not a factor.

Unless your running on the track every weekend no need for crossdrilled rotors.Oh and EBC pads are more known for there noise,granted they are great pads but dust and make noise more often then not.

For daily driving carbon pads/race pads are not what you want,they need heat to work and more heat then generally ever seen in daily driving and way more heat then your OE braking system is designed to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:28 pm 
LOST Member

Last edited by patmaz on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

patmaz wrote:
Yes that must be the reason why every top end manufacturer like benz,bmw,porsche,land rover,chevy corvette, vipers,srt8,and much more uses cross drilled,that must be their way to thank their customer,come buy our stuff,you ll kill yourself because we dont know how brakes works....if u get cross drilled from ebay maybe,like some honda shitvics out there,but in real life,if you pay for quality,you get quality thats it...if you inform yourself about real high performance brakes,you would see the internals of a good quality cross drilled rotors are totally different from what you can buy from any autoparts seller.Carbon for sure isnt the best choice for the everyday use(plus they make a lot of noise when cold),i personnaly prefer ceramic,but that depends on the taste and the wallet of every ones. :wink:

Should read on internet on some companys like brembo,stop tech,advance brakes,and many others,there is good explanation about heat/gaz problems on the brakes,and heat dissipation process,and like i sayd earlier,crap is crap,and quality is quality,more expensive for sure but totally another story.

Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Those systems you speak of are designed to work with those braking systems. Read braking SYSTEMS. Our KJ's or KK's for that matter are not.
I used to be a ASE Certified Brake Technician and thank God I no longer deal with the public with all these fad brakes that are available today :roll: Nothing beats the good old factory brakes, a very close second IS the NAPA brand Premium brakes because they manufacture them to FACTORY exact specs. <-- see period. :JEEPIN: Oh and also thats why dealerships most commonly use NAPA brakes when the factory ones aren't on the shelf, this I also know first hand. :wink:
Ceramic brakes are JUNK, been there and done that on daily drivers. When I used to run ARCA the ceramics where awesome, but then again........apples to apples.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Cross drilled rotors do crack,see it all the time at work.Cross drilled rotors have only three effects,reduced rotating weight,look cool,and reduced braking performance.Yes cross drilled rotors actually reduce braking performance as less material is present to disapate heat,less material equals more heat which equals less braking performance,cracks,and warping.They are for race use only where reduced weight is key and brake longevity is not a factor.

Unless your running on the track every weekend no need for crossdrilled rotors.Oh and EBC pads are more known for there noise,granted they are great pads but dust and make noise more often then not.

For daily driving carbon pads/race pads are not what you want,they need heat to work and more heat then generally ever seen in daily driving and way more heat then your OE braking system is designed to handle.

Not to mention less contact surface hurts braking performance.

I just use the regular Papa auto pads and rotors, OK braking performance but Id like to get a better brake setup when I need to do the rear.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
patmaz wrote:
Yes that must be the reason why every top end manufacturer like benz,bmw,porsche,land rover,chevy corvette, vipers,srt8,and much more uses cross drilled,that must be their way to thank their customer,come buy our stuff,you ll kill yourself because we dont know how brakes works....if u get cross drilled from ebay maybe,like some honda shitvics out there,but in real life,if you pay for quality,you get quality thats it...if you inform yourself about real high performance brakes,you would see the internals of a good quality cross drilled rotors are totally different from what you can buy from any autoparts seller.Carbon for sure isnt the best choice for the everyday use(plus they make a lot of noise when cold),i personnaly prefer ceramic,but that depends on the taste and the wallet of every ones. :wink:

Should read on internet on some companys like brembo,stop tech,advance brakes,and many others,there is good explanation about heat/gaz problems on the brakes,and heat dissipation process,and like i sayd earlier,crap is crap,and quality is quality,more expensive for sure but totally another story.

Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Those systems you speak of are designed to work with those braking systems. Read braking SYSTEMS. Our KJ's or KK's for that matter are not.
I used to be a ASE Certified Brake Technician and thank God I no longer deal with the public with all these fad brakes that are available today :roll: Nothing beats the good old factory brakes, a very close second IS the NAPA brand Premium brakes because they manufacture them to FACTORY exact specs. <-- see period. :JEEPIN: Oh and also thats why dealerships most commonly use NAPA brakes when the factory ones aren't on the shelf, this I also know first hand. :wink:
Ceramic brakes are JUNK, been there and done that on daily drivers. When I used to run ARCA the ceramics where awesome, but then again........apples to apples.

Yep apples to oranges.High performance brakes on high end vehicles that one--almost never get driven but on nice weekends --or--get driven on the track more then on the street.I've worked on some high end Benz's and Vette's,no cross drilled rotors,my buddy back home as a ACR Viper(bought wrecked and fixed) and no cross drilled rotors.Take a M1113 HMMWV,12,000lbs empty,sees some of the harshest enviroments and heat and what type of brakes do they use? 12.5" solid rotors(something like 1"-1.25" thick),yep no vented rotors,no cross drilled,and no slotted and stops faster then then a KJ and weighs 3 times as much.

Oh and OE pads for the KJ are ceramic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think somebody is a little tender :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 am 
LOST Junkie

why delete your own posts when they are already quoted several times below the deletion. LOL :oops:

OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:

I was also told that by a MOPAR tech and another tech over heard us talking. The second tech said bs no there not, then the debate began. All 3 of us have gotten different answers directly from Chrysler, Jeep and a so called engineer that happens to be a brother of one of the guys and says no there a semi metallic blend with ceramic, not true ceramics. So who to believe ???? :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ridenby wrote:
I think somebody is a little tender :ROTFL:

Hand out the talcum powder, some one is ars chapped :jester:
It's not uncommon for me to be rediculously wrong and come back for more :ROTFL: :jester:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

I was also told that by a MOPAR tech and another tech over heard us talking. The second tech said bs no there not, then the debate began. All 3 of us have gotten different answers directly from Chrysler, Jeep and a so called engineer that happens to be a brother of one of the guys and says no there a semi metallic blend with ceramic, not true ceramics. So who to believe ???? :5SHOTS:

They could have changed to semi-metallics but I know my '02 came with ceramics from the factory in the front.I know that our computers list them a ceramics also as OE with semi-metallics as the "value line" pads,but I take that with agrain of salt most times.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's also the same answer I got from NAPA. I wonder why the flopping around on braking material being used? I do know my 07 has what seems to be semi mettalic based on the feel and my past experience with them. Have you ever heard of a semi mettalic ceramic blend material?