It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken steering rack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, so my streak of bad luck is continuing. I was taking it easy driving down some scenic BLM roads earlier today when I hit a rut fairly hard. Nothing really crazy or huge, just a small wash out; something I have done probably 100 times without thinking otherwise. This time the steering wheel pulled hard right and wouldn't straighten out. After slowly limping home hardly in control (swaying back in forth, hard to maintain a straight line), I looked under the heep and noticed the steering rack is broken at the weld on the passenger side.

Pics:

So, my question is, can this be welded back together or is the whole thing toast and in need of replacement? I haven't had any steering issues up unto this point; I don't think the steering rack is bad in any sort of way and would like to not have to replace it if possible. Also, is the mount even a part of the steering rack, or is it supposed to be affixed to the Jeep? If a replacement is a must, anyone replace theirs recently and know anywhere to get a new one at a decent price?

Post subject: Re: Broken steering rack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mtnlvr just had this happen on his KK at Pastafari. Pretty sure he had to replaced his rack.One other KK (not sure who) welded his and it happened again so he replaced the rack. First I have heard of on a Kj.(weld breaking)

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

You were thinking of mine. Well im the only KK that I knew of it happening to until recently MntLuvr anyway. I attempted to weld it and also added some extra metal for bracing and it broke shortly afterward. youre better off replacing it. im not sure whats causing it but im leaning toward the sway bar links hitting the tie rods while under flex.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeh checked out mtnlvr steering rack and they look like they are close to the same as kj. (I'm sure there are differences)

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

yellocoyote wrote:
If you decide to replace it, these were instructions built around the replacement of the one in my '02.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60454&p=670792

Just seen this in the other rack and pinion thread. Great write up! Gonna attempt to replace it this coming week. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

kskj wrote:
Yeh checked out mtnlvr steering rack and they look like they are close to the same as kj. (I'm sure there are differences)

Yeah, just looked at the pictures. Looks like mine broke just like his did; same side and everything. Mine is currently hobbled together just like that as well. :SOMBRERO: