It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flooded KJ round 2...tow truck, engine codes, sad Jeep
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 pm 
LOST Member

I went out to Rancho in Zephyrhills today. I was driving around all the mud holes that I couldn't tell the depth and being cautious not to go in anything too deep. I stopped and talked to a guy about where some good places to go that my Jeep would do fine in. He said to follow the trail I was on for a bit and then I'd come to a nice big mudhole with lots of stuff for my KJ. The holes on the trail there "aren't deep and they have hard bottoms so you'll be fine." I drive 30ft into the very first hole on the trail and drop into water over my headlights and a wave comes across the hood and hits my windshield. I'm in up to my windows. Somehow no water was coming inside and I climbed up on the roof and yelled for help. The same guy I talked to hooked me up to his F350 and pulled me out in about 5 minutes. Water had began leaking through my passenger front door and I had about 8 inches inside the Jeep by the time I got out. He said that he thought I would go around that hole because it's the deepest hole at Rancho. I just told him it was my first time there and didn't know where to go! He was alot of help in getting me out and a nice guy, but should have just told me about that hole.

Anyways it isn't hydrolocked. I drove it out of Rancho. When I got to the main road the a/c went out. About 500 feet down the road my check engine light came on and my transmission wouldn't shift and was running in 2nd gear. I made it about 2.5 miles down the road until it started to overheat so I pulled off the road and turned it off...it would not start back up.

Tow truck came and brought me home. I cleaned the mud out of the radiator that I believe led to overheating. The battery is shot, it has mud in it. Got it running with a jump though. The a/c is working again.

Got some engine codes:
P1776
P0883
P0562

Any imput on the codes? I guess my tranny got wet. The transmission control module has something up with it and the valve body is not working?

Pics:

The filter and airbox were full of mud and water, water got this close to the throttle body

Post subject: Re: Flooded KJ round 2...tow truck, engine codes, sad Jeep
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check all the fluids for water,bet your trans injested some water along with the diffs and t-case.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:19 am 
LOST Addict

I bet. Man you are lucky to get out of that one!

BTW, I never heard of a Rancho! I must have driven by it like 20 times when I went up to Hernando county for wheeling!

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It is difficult to tell how deep a mud hole is from the top :)

I would suggest you drain all fluids (including diffs) and change every filter. Letting it sit for a week to dry out wouldn't hurt either. Pull the carpets and pads for drying as you will end up with mold and stink if you don't.

P1776 Soleniod pack transmission control module
P0883 Shift soleniod circuit problem
P0562 System voltage low (engine side)

It's all wet!

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

clean it and let her dry lol

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock:

Wow. That hole was made for a bogger not a stocker. :lol:
Glad the Jeep is "semi" okay. Do everything the guys before me said, and hopefully your Jeep will be okay. I had a very similar situation happen to me 2 years ago when I first bought my KJ. Here's the video...watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedyifSIi2w

Jeep was fine, but steam was rolling off of it like a sauna :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

Got the interior all dried out now. Next step is putting the interior back together and starting to clean up the exterior. The headlights are fishbowls full of mud at the bottom. Then I'll change the fluids, filters and the battery. I might end up hosing the entire engine out and cleaning each electronic connection with the air compressor.

Blackwidow: imagine the hole you went through 2 feet deeper and that is what I fell into lol. I was so scared it was hydrolocked when the water came up over the hood.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:
Blackwidow: imagine the hole you went through 2 feet deeper and that is what I fell into lol. I was so scared it was hydrolocked when the water came up over the hood.

Well the part I went through was 3 ft. deep (guessing) 2ft. more would make it 5ft.!!! :shock:
Shoot! I was scared too death! But not as much as you were. :lol: I had just gotten my Liberty and it was my first time out like that. Maybe a month or two ago before that video I was with my neighbors in their F-150 STX; went through the same water hole and the water then came up over their hood! :shock: :shock: If the water were that deep when I went through it in my Liberty, I probably wouldn't have a Liberty today or be a member of this forum; cause I'd be driving a car (or Wrangler)!!! :lol:

I suggest investing in a Safari Snorkel if you're the type that likes to drive through deep mud/water holes. :mrgreen:
Glad to hear postive progress on your Jeep though :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:17 pm 
LOST Member

Now the ASD is clicking on and off...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm 
LOST Member

Ok so I just pulled the fuse box apart and it was full of water and mud. Dried it all out and put it back together and now my Jeep starts on its own! 2/3 engine codes down, 1 to go...P1776. It was showing no codes then I took it for a drive and as soon as it hit overdrive it went back to 2nd and the light came on.

When it cools down I'm gonna crawl under it and disconnect every plug going into the tranny and clean them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Woooo! That's really good news :BANANA:

Your lucky it wasn't completely :dead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

No luck with wiring. Can someone else confirm if the green harness in the driver side of the tranny is for the shift solenoid? Removing the solenoid itself is not something I want to do. It looks like I'll have to pull the exhaust manifold off and the front driveshaft...

Working on the Jeep isn't fun. Every time I touch something I get dirt in my eyes/nose/mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:
No luck with wiring. Can someone else confirm if the green harness in the driver side of the tranny is for the shift solenoid? Removing the solenoid itself is not something I want to do. It looks like I'll have to pull the exhaust manifold off and the front driveshaft...

Working on the Jeep isn't fun. Every time I touch something I get dirt in my eyes/nose/mouth

Yes that one big plug goes directly to the guts in the trans.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:39 pm 
LOST Member

:(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:

:(

Yep the 1st thing you should have done was change the trans fluid.I would have had it towed instead of driving it.Good chance the trans is toast now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yep the 1st thing you should have done was change the trans fluid.I would have had it towed instead of driving it.Good chance the trans is toast now.

Even if I only have the p1776 code? If I have to replace the tranny, how involved is a manual swap?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

AHHHHHH changed the fluid and now the torque convertor won't engage unless I rev the engine up to around 2k rpms! Idk what to do now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:06 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Repair it, what else can you do?
then buy a stick so next time you'll get out and measure the hole of water before blindly driving in! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
then buy a stick so next time you'll get out and measure the hole of water before blindly driving in! :wink:

:ROTFL:

I had a stick in my Jeep that I used to judge how deep stuff was. Then I threw it away in the woods for some reason :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:06 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Repair it, what else can you do?

I'm going to repair it but I don't know what the next step is. Going to have a mechanic look at it and see what they think.