It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to remove brackets on Tailgate? (behind the spare)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

UPDATE:
So, I just used a 1/4 inch socket, and it came right out with no visible damage to the screw. I'm sure if you had to do it all the time then maybe, but it worked perfectly to pull out and put back in.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, so as you can see from the pictures I had a little accident, I backed into a pole, brilliant, I know.. unfortunately I've left it alone and there is a bit of rust.. And the rain today isn't helping.. Clearly I want to rectify the situation.. What is the best way to remove the black 'brackets'? Do they just pry off with a little bit of muscle? or do I have to tackle it from the inside of the tailgate?

ImageImageImage

Much appreciated!

And since I've already explained myself, I might as well ask the best way to sand and re-seal it, I don't care about painting it the same color, because for now, its still behind the spare, I figured I'd just use a clear coat, or something along those lines.

Thanks again!

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Last edited by infernicus on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is very easy to remove the spare tire bracket, you don't have to remove the interior panel from the tail gate.

First, after removing the spare tire, remove the four nuts that hold the spare tire bracket in place. After that,
just pull the bracket and it comes out of its place.

Next, those screws the nuts you removed in the previous step were attached to are indeed torx screws, right now
don't remember the size but with the appropiate torx bit and a wrench they come off easily also.

Those screws hold the two metal pieces (I don't know what their name is) so when you remove the screws, those pieces simply fall
and then you're done. Ah, and between these metal pieces and the tailgate, there are two plastic sheets that protect the
paint from the metal (at least I think that's their purpose).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't understand.. I've never seen an inverted torx bit for that, usually the end is the bit itself, the screw would fit over that.. do I have to fab something up? or do those bits exist?

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

You can buy the sockets for them or take two of the nuts and run them down on tighten together and then the rear most put a wrench on and remove easy and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The tool exists, but can be expensive.

A couple of options:
Use two nuts butt together threaded onto the studs, then you should be able to use a wrench to turn them out
Use a visegrip type locking plier. If you end up damaging them, just buy new ones from Chrysler. Not sure what they would cost, but probably less than the tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I used the vice grip option and it worked flawlessly. With that in mind, i did not intend on putting my spare back on. The threads of those bolts will be messed up if you go with this option. It requires some muscle but eventually they break loose and screw out quite easily.

If you intend on reinstalling your spare bracket, I would recommend buying the correct tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So, I just used a 1/4 inch socket, and it came right out with no visible damage to the screw. I'm sure if you had to do it all the time then maybe, but it worked perfectly to pull out and put back in.

Thanks everybody for helping me out. (as per usual)

Now I just have to sand the paint and re-coat it.

8)

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Post subject: Re: Best way to remove brackets on Tailgate? (behind the spa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm 
LOST Member

Can you please exlpain how you took the four torx bolts out again without damaging them? i dont understand how you could possibly use a socket on them. I can take a pic of mine if that helps.
Thanks
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't remember exactly, but just start with a smaller socket that slips over tightly and turn slowly as to not strip the screws..

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

ah finally found Toms method after digging around:

Quote:
Funny how people make this out to be a hard job. All you have to do is use the stock nuts that hold the bracket on. Take two install the first one backwards about 1/2 way on the threads, , run the next one up to it and tighten them together. Then put a wrench on the inside one and take it off. repeat on each one if needed. nothing to buy, you don't twist the ends off , all very simple

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
You can buy the sockets for them or take two of the nuts and run them down on tighten together and then the rear most put a wrench on and remove easy and simple.

^^^this

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

easy as cake...

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon