It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to disable the seatbelt sound
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I realise wearing a seatbelt whilst driving is important, but the audible warning sound which comes on when the driver's seatbelt is disengaged is doing my head in! :( When at the boat ramp waiting to launch my boat or in other situations when the car is stationary but engine on and when waiting to move forward slightly and then get out of the vehicle I have to listen to that sound which continues until you are forced to put your belt back on and then turn off the car and get out.

Does anyone know how to disengage it? Maybe a fuse will do the trick? :shock:

Post subject: Re: how to disable the seatbelt sound
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Go to the junk yard and cut out from the seat belt just the latch to stick in there just for those kind of situations. Easily kept in glove box. :JEEPIN:
edit: forgot to mention to keep part of the seatbelt for a sorta of pull tab.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:56 am 
LOST Member

Insert the seat belt into the latch before starting the Jeep, then after starting un-latch and re-insert the seat belt five times within thirty seconds, ending with it latched. I know it sounds crazy, and when I first read about it I was thinkin' "BS!" I had my seat belt chime "disengaged" for the very reason you mentioned, moving my boat, or utility trailer, or when stopping at the top of my driveway to check the mailbox...It's nice not hearing the chime while backing into your parking spot...BTW, if you disconnect your battery the chime will revert to it's normal setting.

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
Insert the seat belt into the latch before starting the Jeep, then after starting un-latch and re-insert the seat belt five times within thirty seconds, ending with it latched. I know it sounds crazy, and when I first read about it I was thinkin' "BS!" I had my seat belt chime "disengaged" for the very reason you mentioned, moving my boat, or utility trailer, or when stopping at the top of my driveway to check the mailbox...It's nice not hearing the chime while backing into your parking spot...BTW, if you disconnect your battery the chime will revert to it's normal setting.

That is hilarious! I'll have to try it tomorrow.. :D

@BugginKJ - that's a neat little trick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you have it, your owner's manual should describe the process.

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just buckle my seat belt before I get in.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin'WNC wrote:

Mate, that worked a treat thanks! :D The simple pleasures in life..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
BTW, if you disconnect your battery the chime will revert to it's normal setting.

I've had my battery disconnected numerous times and it hasn't affected the chime disconnect at all. Must be model specific.

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Banter: Thanks man, no problem!
Jh Blackwell: Must be model specific 'cause the first time I had to disconnect my battery it came right back on.

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The weird thing is that the seatbelt reminder must be through the instrument cluster somehow. The reason I know this is that my 2003 seatbelt chime was (apparently) already disabled when i bought it, but once I installed the cluster from an 05 in it it started beeping like crazy.

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

gtommec wrote:
The weird thing is that the seatbelt reminder must be through the instrument cluster somehow. The reason I know this is that my 2003 seatbelt chime was (apparently) already disabled when i bought it, but once I installed the cluster from an 05 in it it started beeping like crazy.

It is, that calibration setting is sets in the cluster because thats where the chime unit is.

There is a procedure in the owners manual to turn it off, it took me a little while to find. its something like, get in, close the door, put the seatbelt on, turn the key to on, wait for the seatbelt light to turn off, then unbuckle and buckle it at least 5 times in 10 seconds, then turn the key to off. It should chime when you turn it off if you do this right.

thats at least my recollection of it, its in the manual, it was a little hard to find, but it does work and its so much better than that damm chime.

and for the record I wear my seatbelt all the time too, but when moving the vehicle around camp or in the driveway or whatever it can be just plain annoying.

EDIT: User KTM87 confirms a few posts further down that this procedure is correct and does work, yay for correct memory recall!

Last edited by Sir Sam on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

Just pull the pressure switch out of the seat Is what a buddy told me

Ome lift with 31x10.50 tires and 15x10 wheels
Bedlined flares and rockers
Tj custom bumper mod
Scorpion diesel tuner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

vincennescrd wrote:
Just pull the pressure switch out of the seat Is what a buddy told me

You mean the one that is used to determine airbag deployment force? You mean the one that when its disconnected shuts down the airbag system? That one?

Whats wrong with just following the manual procedure to turn it off permanently?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

OMG, that dang chime has had me so frustrated, i thought about driving straight into a wall just so i dont have to hear it anymore but ive just been dealing with it and never really tooking the time too to find out how to disconnect it since it was like my truck and just removed the chime box from the fuse location, but after reading this i ran outside and tried it and :BINGO: it was diabled.
Cant even begin to say how happy ill be, caus ei do work at a marine and deal with hooking up boats a few times a day and a buddy with some land that we usaully just idle around on :JEEPIN: (which suck when your just idling around and have to have a seat belt on).
What a good day this has turned into

Trimed Front Bumper, hopefully a front receiver soon
Boiler's Radiator Skid, Mopar Engine Skid
245/75-16 Guard Dog M/T
JBA Upper A-arms soon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm 
LOST Addict

KTM87 wrote:
OMG, that dang chime has had me so frustrated, i thought about driving straight into a wall just so i dont have to hear it anymore but ive just been dealing with it and never really tooking the time too to find out how to disconnect it since it was like my truck and just removed the chime box from the fuse location, but after reading this i ran outside and tried it and :BINGO: it was diabled.
Cant even begin to say how happy ill be, caus ei do work at a marine and deal with hooking up boats a few times a day and a buddy with some land that we usaully just idle around on :JEEPIN: (which suck when your just idling around and have to have a seat belt on).

So my procedure drug up from the depths of my memory actually worked to turn it off?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nothing works on my 03/05 hybrid :(

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:24 pm 
LOST Addict

gtommec wrote:

Probably because of the BCM change between those years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
gtommec wrote:

I guess, but I think it is odd that everything in the cluster works except the disable seatbelt chime. It is not a big deal though as I always wear my seatbelt there are just a few occasions that the dinging annoys me. It is still worth it to me though as I like the grey gauges of the 05 much better than the white gauges that came in my 03.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

gtommec wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
gtommec wrote:

I guess, but I think it is odd that everything in the cluster works except the disable seatbelt chime. It is not a big deal though as I always wear my seatbelt there are just a few occasions that the dinging annoys me. It is still worth it to me though as I like the grey gauges of the 05 much better than the white gauges that came in my 03.

Find someone with an 05, install your cluster into theirs, disable the chime, then install it into yours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
KTM87 wrote:

So my procedure drug up from the depths of my memory actually worked to turn it off?

Pretty much yup cause it dont chime no more :D

Trimed Front Bumper, hopefully a front receiver soon
Boiler's Radiator Skid, Mopar Engine Skid
245/75-16 Guard Dog M/T
JBA Upper A-arms soon