It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best DIY Scan Tool for a Liberty CRD ???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fed up with being gouged by the dealer, I went out last week and bought an OBDII scan tool (Innova 3130). When I plugged it in this morning for it's maiden mission I quickly realized all it would give me was RPM and % throttle. It wouldn't see the DTC that I knew was present or extinguish the MIL. A call to the company's tech support line settled the issue. As you guys likely know, I need a bidirectional scan tool. I thought the best people to ask was LostJeeps since you were so informative about my initial issue (explaining the DTC the dealer provided me - for a price) - P1252. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Best DIY Scan Tool for a Liberty CRD ???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi RoPo, why can't you see clear the codes? You should be able too.

A quick search of the interweb says P1252 is Vacuum Reservoir Control Circuit High which means it is Shorted To Battery leading to failed Vacuum Res. Solenoid

Search "www.scribd.com/doc/2640713/Jeep-KJ-2005-Liberty-Cherokee-MOPAR-Parts-Catalog" for the part number "4606226AC". So you know what your looking at under the hood.

You can order it from here: "http://factorymoparparts.com/4606226ac.html"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi gmz105,

Thanks for I had posted part of the story in "New Member Introductions" and then switched over to "General Discussions" (my bad).

Here is my original post:

2006 Liberty CRD (stock) 176,000 km.

I joined because of some great information on a DTC (P1252) I'm getting no joy from the dealer on. They hosed me for $130 and wasted almost 2 hours of my time to give me the DTC and an unclear description of what the problem was. Their suggestions included the vacuum reservoir itself and possibly an engine controller but not the vacuum solenoid that actually causes the code to set(as I found out here). When I got home from this adventure the first thing I did was Google the DTC . That led me to LostJeeps.com and a terrifically informative thread on the very DTC in question. I did the "quick & dirty" fix described (bypassed the solenoid). I dried out the part on a furnace register, hooked it up and it seems fine (symptoms gone). The only problem I'm left with now is related to an appropriate scan tool but I'll post that somewhere more suitable than "Member Introductions"... Oh, that reminds me...Hi from Nova Scotia.

R

Without trying to sound like a smartass, I know I "should" be able to read and clear the DTCs but I can't. The tech I spoke to at the scan tool company's support number wasn't surprised that I couldn't see or clear the DTCs. In fact, he acknowledged that they (Innova) did not have a bidirectional scanner in their line-up. I was rather longwinded about it but, since I got good info from LostJeeps on the problem initially, I thought this would also be a good place to ask who made a good (and economical) scan tool that actually "talks" to diesel Jeeps. Better still, if you know a way to read and clear DTCs without a scanner, I'd be deeply indebted.
RoPo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Again gmz105,

I just reread my last post and realized I booboo'd - It should say,"Thanks for replying. I had posted part of ..."

RoPo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what you want your going to have to spend some $$$.The only scan tool I would recommend is the OEM StarScan,can be had for as low about $3000 if you look real hard.The next best is the high end Snapon scanners but after all said and done will run close to $10,000.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi tjkj2002,

I just thought someone might have a line on a more cost effective piece of equipment for extracting/erasing codes from a diesel KJ. I spent the 90s as a service writer/technician in busy shop before deciding that there was more money and less grease in IT. All of our diagnostic gear (including our scanner) was Snap-on so I'm no stranger to the cost or value of good tools. Still, I was hoping...

RoPo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm kinda confused about what the problem is, perhaps I don't understand the problem. OBDII is a standard required by the gov't. Anyway. I have an Innova 3100 (they don't sell it anymore) and it works okay with my CRD.

If I can help let me know.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Greg,

You're not the only one confused around here. I've been baffled since I plugged the 3130 in this morning and got "No DTCs present, etc... . Ernest(the tech I spoke to at CANOBD2.com) suggested a possible workaround: I popped the batteries out of the scanner, started the truck and then plugged the scanner in - same result. I'm no novice at this gig. Ironically, Canadian Tire up here sells the 3100 too (you can still get them - up here at least). I bought the 3130 because it was on sale for $179 which is $20 less than they want for the 3100 and it had a few more features. Bigger isn't always better, I guess. Just out of curiosity, what year is your CRD? And, if you don't mind what's your hook up routine? Maybe I'll cash this puppy in on the 3100. Still confused about the manufacturer's customer service saying I needed a scan tool with bidirectional capability. You are restoring my faith in OBDII being OBDII anyway. This whole thing hasn't made any sense to me.

Roland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Greg,

I gotta sign off for the night - we're on Atlantic time and it's hitting for 1:30 AM here. Still, your post is the best news I've heard all day.

Thanks,
Roland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:44 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been using Torque on my android powered phone and an ELM 327 bluetooth adaptor to extract/erase codes on my 06 CRD. It will erase them but they'll be right back if the original problem isn't resolved. More info on this setup is in the CRD section.

Kane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:32 am 
LOST Junkie

I bought a $30 scan tool at Princess Auto and have no problem reading and clearing all the common engine codes. Probably won't read ABS and Transmission codes, but it was cheap.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 am 
LOST Newbie

'Mornin All,

I knew I had to be getting bad counsel from Innova (OBD2.com). gmz105 (Greg) put the seeds of hope I my mind last night and MainstreaM and WolverineFW have nutured them considerably (sorry for the lame metaphor). Take no offense but I knew all the nice folks talkin' codes on here couldn't have between $3000 & $10,000 to cough up for a compatible scan tool. I was starting to feel less RoPo and more just plain po' . I think I'm gonna like it here - old school emoticon ;-)

Thanks,
RoPo

Last edited by RoPo on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I guess the forum converts text emoticons. That's okay, the sentiment is bang on.

RoPo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi RoPo

My connection routine is nothing special. With my recent problems I have been leaving the cable on and unplugging the device instead. This makes it easier to check out my issues while at a stop light or something. I usually don't turn on the device but let it happen on bus detect when I plug it in.

Anyway, I have had trouble with the 3100 on some new, new cars like 2010s and 2011s. Its almost 10 years old so I'm not surprised. Another tidbit for you is I have had the codes checked at Autozone and Advanced Auto (chain auto parts stores). They both used the Actron scanners.

A couple ideas. Does Canadian Tire read codes for free? You might want them to hook up just to verify that they can connect and there aren't any bus errors that the Innova can't handle. Also you might want to check that the pins haven't been pushed out the back of the OBD connector under the dash.

I have an '06 limited. I only got it a few months ago.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the info, gmz105. I have until early Jan. to simply return the 3130 for a full refund. Not sure if Can Tire reads codes for free but I'll check. I'm kinda tempted to go the $50 route - the $200 route hasn't done me a lot of good. I do feel much better about the whole situation. Still confused about the darn scanner not working - just my luck. I will post an update once I sort it out anyway.

Cheers,
RoPo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I always just cycled the ignition. On and of three times, then leave in on, and the odometer will display the DTC. Google from my smartphone and I have the code. Some turn themselves off, and the others are just a battery disconnect away (but its a pain to reset my clock).

03 Liberty Sport 4X4

Diver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Diver,

Sounds a lot like the way you used to get 2-digit codes out of Chryslers in the mid-80s to mid-90s. I don't know how many flashing little engines I counted in those days. But enough reminiscing, I tried it multiple times to no avail, it either doesn't work on '06s or I've lost my ignition cycling technique over all those intervening years . I have pondered whether my problem with extracting codes is the tool or the truck. I had the dealer check the codes the first time though and they got in without any trouble. At any rate, I appreciate your suggestions - lots of varied input is how things often get sorted out on forums. I'm also a member of myturbodiesel.com which is more VW-centric (our other car is an '01 Jetta TDI) and another forum for our RV. I'm a big believer in the power of the collective mind - even if I'm not a Borg...

Thanks,
RoPo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Not sure if it works on a CRD but in my 04 3.7L if you hold down the odometer button and turn the key to run and release the odo button it does a gauge test then gives you any codes that may be present at the end of the cycle via the CEL. Hope it helps and nice to see someone else local on the Board I'm from NB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, Red_KJ_666,

I'll give that a try today.

RoPo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

RoPo

Anything new on this?