It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aftermarket Fuel Door
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone installed an aftermarket fuel door on their KJ? The KJ's fuel door looks pretty basic, so I would assume there would be a selection of fuel doors to choose from to install. However, I am having a difficult time locating fuel doors for the KJ. I am interested in a black powder-coat billet aluminum locking fuel door. I am particularly interested in AMI's two piece door: http://89.16.161.154/lvolume/ami/presentation.php?version=11&quality=low&cache=4&publication=flipper&pageNum=6. I am also interested in Bully's black powder-coat billet aluminum locking fuel door [http://www.autoanything.com/chrome-accessories/73A6325A0A0.aspx]. Does anyone know if these doors will fit on the KJ? If not, do you know of any that will fit? Thanks in advance for your help!

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Fuel Door
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't believe there are any that will work with a direct replacement / factory fit.
All the ones you linked to should work if you can figure out a way to mount them to the Jeep.
Either double sided tape or the best alternative, actually drill through with rivets.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Post subject: Aftermarket Fuel Door
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I heard that one from a Civic Si will fit and add horsepower.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JL Rockies wrote:
I heard that one from a Civic Si will fit and add horsepower.

:-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r :-)r

Whoops,sorry no added HP for one installed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LOL! :-)r This forum needs a "Like" button!

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

infernicus wrote:
I don't believe there are any that will work with a direct replacement / factory fit.
All the ones you linked to should work if you can figure out a way to mount them to the Jeep.
Either double sided tape or the best alternative, actually drill through with rivets.

I emiled both AMI and Pilot Automotive; they both don't make direct replacement fuel doors for the KJ. The main reason is that their doors use the existing holes that are left when the stock door is removed to mount them. AMI offers 5.75" and 6.25" OD fuel doors. According to my measurements, the KJ's fuel door opening is 6". I am considering purchasing the 6.25" fuel door and drilling through the rivets to mount it. Or should I mount the door using automotive-grade adhesive, since this is the recommended installation for some fuel doors? What do you guys think?

@JL Rockies and tjkj2002: Very funny! :lol: I don't think a black powder-coated fuel door is rice. However, if I was going to install one in a chrome finish I would agree with ya. Below is a picture of my KJ before winter (I have installed more mods since then). I think the black powder-coat finish would compliment my "murdered out" theme and the rivets would compliment my Cragar Street Lock "D" Window wheels and Renegade fenders (once I purchase and install them).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a GM locking gas cap that was for the 02 D/A which I put on the 05 D/A until I got my 100 gal tank in the bed, put on the canopy, and used the Transferflo Canopy fuel filler. I then moved my locking gas cap up to the canopy and installed a brushed locking door on the stock tank opening. Before I installed it, I painted it with one of those small cans of factory match paint from the dealer. Looks like it belongs, and you need to look twice to see it.But i also contact to Locksmith for the keys and he made it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:05 pm 

I have read that this one for a Wrangler JK can also fit a Liberty KJ? :?:

Rugged Ridge® 11229.02 :google:

Good luck!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter