It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.7 Timing chain longevity
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

My '02 has 165,000 on it and has never been apart. Do they have timing chain failures? Some engines go for ever on the timing chain and others have to have them changed religiously, I wasn't sure which one the 3.7 was.

Post subject: Re: 3.7 Timing chain longevity
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your confusing timing chains and timing belts.

Timing belts have a change interval between 40k-100k depending on model and timing chains generally outlast the rest of the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Your confusing timing chains and timing belts.

Timing belts have a change interval between 40k-100k depending on model and timing chains generally outlast the rest of the engine.

Not necessarily. The 2.7 has a chain and they love to break, especially if you do a lot of high RPM acceleration. Undone, the chain is about 4’ long. They stretch until the tensioner cannot keep them tight any more. Once they are loose, the slack allows the cams to jerk the chain as they turn. Then it's only a short time before they break. I've repaired dozens of them. It bends all the intake valves. I’ve has some as low as 80K and as high as 140K before they break; it all depends on how hard you drive. I didn’t know if 3.7 shared the same fate, I wanted to do some preventative maintenance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Even though the 2.7 is a joke for a engine it's timing chains outlast the engine in almost all cases.You can find anything on any vehicle on the web saying that this a issue and that is a issue when it's not.Can they fail? yes but the chance it will is very slim.The tensioners would go way before the chain does.

Oh and the 3.7 uses the same chains and tensioners as the 4.7 which have now issues even well over the 300k mark.