It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Rock Keys
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:18 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Check out this new "Rock Key" I got at the PA. All Breeds Jeep Show this weekend. It was at the AllThingsJeeps.com booth and cost $16 but the guy who made the key worked for the vendor that will actually make them. They will sell them on the AllThingsJeep website. The link I have is www.allthingsjeep.com/rockkey.html and the company is STRATTEC.

At this time, they don`t have one for the 2005`s but was told they may have one out next month. Also, they don`t have the "chips" in them for those that have that type.

Mike

p.s. My key fired right up when I tried it on my Liberty. :)

Here`s a few pics:

EX-Vice Pres. Mid Atlantic Chapter
L.O.S.T. Moderator

Rusty`s Lift, all armor, BB`s, locked, and tons more stuff...and more to come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:24 pm 

Thanks for the info Mike, they do look really cool.

Post subject: Re: New Rock Keys
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Talon 1 wrote:
At this time, they don`t have one for the 2005`s but was told they may have one out next month. Also, they don`t have the "chips" in them for those that have that type.

Double-whammy. I have an '05 <b>with</b> sentry-key :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 pm 

What I meant by this was they won`t have ones with the chips in them for the 2005`s until possibly next month. The second sentence was referring to pre-2005 keys that had the chips in them (Al had this type for his KJ). I had a "normal" key, so there was no problem and the key was cut within a few minutes.

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
Talon 1 wrote:

Well, we can use it as our valet key, right?

Post subject: ref: "The Rock" Keys
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:04 pm 
LOST Member

I posted the card the guy at the show gave me on my links page if anyone is interested:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze88hvp/id1.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

misterzero wrote:
dirtykj wrote:
Talon 1 wrote:

Well, we can use it as our valet key, right?

No, because keys with transponders actually allow the engine control computer to continue operating. Every few seconds, the engine control computer queries the key for its ID. If it doesn't get any ID back, or gets the wrong ID that hasn't been programmed into the computer, then the engine shuts down.

Besides, at least on my car, when I lock the door with the remote and open the door with the key (or occupant inside opens the door for me) then the horn starts going off :)

I don't think the valet guy will appreciate that. Also, I avoid places that have valet like a plague, especially those places that force you to use valet. I have kids and I would rather take my own time getting the kids ready to get in or out of the car, and be out of the way of traffic. Everytime I go to a restaurant that forces you to use valet, I make sure to send the manager a complaint e-mail :)

Post subject: acb
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hey acb, you could ask him if he wants to post in our vendors section? later...Clint

KE7JLP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:21 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
I don't think the valet guy will appreciate that. Also, I avoid places that have valet like a plague, especially those places that force you to use valet. I have kids and I would rather take my own time getting the kids ready to get in or out of the car, and be out of the way of traffic. Everytime I go to a restaurant that forces you to use valet, I make sure to send the manager a complaint e-mail :)

By valet key, I meant the key we get (at least I got with my '05 Sport) that is your basic key, without chip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

misterzero wrote:
dirtykj wrote:

By valet key, I meant the key we get (at least I got with my '05 Sport) that is your basic key, without chip.

Previous year KJs did not come with a valet key. Your valet key also does have the chip in it, as sentrykey is standard in '05s and the vehicle will not run without it. (Actually, you can start it with a non SentryKey but it will die as soon as you touch the brake pedal.) Your valet key just doesn't have the remote keyless entry buttons.

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Every few seconds, the engine control computer queries the key for its ID. If it doesn't get any ID back, or gets the wrong ID that hasn't been programmed into the computer, then the engine shuts down.

Quote:
(Actually, you can start it with a non SentryKey but it will die as soon as you touch the brake pedal.)

So let me get this straight,
If ure valet jumps in & flies into a parking spot and slams it into park without ever touching the brake and all within a couple of seconds.... No problem!!

Sounds like standard valet parking to me! :lol:

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:19 pm 
LOST Member

dirtykj wrote:
...Every few seconds, the engine control computer queries the key for its ID. If it doesn't get any ID back, or gets the wrong ID that hasn't been programmed into the computer, then the engine shuts down...

That sounds dangerous... what happens if that system mal-functions while I'm flying down the Interstate?

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

hoss75 wrote:
dirtykj wrote:
...Every few seconds, the engine control computer queries the key for its ID. If it doesn't get any ID back, or gets the wrong ID that hasn't been programmed into the computer, then the engine shuts down...

That sounds dangerous... what happens if that system mal-functions while I'm flying down the Interstate?

Hopefully it doesn't :) Maybe there's some sort of fail-safe code in there. Here's a more detailed petition from DC that describes the system.

http://es.bna.com/federal1/20050712/dot ... 50712.html

It doesn't actually say that the system continues to query ID from key after initial 2 seconds, so maybe it doesn't actually. That would make it safe for you to continue to operate the vehicle after initial start. This makes the programmer part in me itch noticeably. Near the top it says "to start and continue to run", but it doesn't get specific enough to justify the "continue to run" clause :)

On a somewhat related topic, check out

http://www.bmwproblems.com/

Hope Jeep does better than BMW in this area.

Post subject: re: key
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:44 am 
LOST Member

I just want one so I don't have to worry about submerging the 05 key with the remote on it while I'm out fishing or in a canoe...
8)

Post subject: Re: re: key
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

acbafam wrote:
I just want one so I don't have to worry about submerging the 05 key with the remote on it while I'm out fishing or in a canoe...
8)

Just buy one of the grey transponder keys from an eBay seller and program it with your KJ. The Only difference between those and the '05 keys is the built in remote.

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install

Post subject: Ref: All Things Jeep
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

as a result of Clints suggestion and a short e-mail to them ALL THINGS JEEP is in our vendors section now with a 10% discount for us:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... =5224#5224

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am the ROCK Key guy who was at the PA Jeep Show in the AllThingsJeep.com booth. I had a great time meeting everyone and received lots of good feedback. I work for Strattec Security Corporation, who is the world's largest manufacturer of locks and keys for the automotive industry.

Anyway, I wanted to post the following information:
1. The current ROCK Key does not contain the immobilzer computer chip (Chrysler calls it a Sentry Key).
2. There are actually 2 different types of immobilizer chips, 1) one for the "grey headed" Jeep keys, and 2) a toupe colored (which looks like grey) key that will work in-place of the new FBI keys. An FBI, Fixed Blade Integrated Key, is the key with the buttons built right into the head of the key.
3. We will be offering both types of immobilizer keys on AllThingsJeep.com by 8/29/05.

Post subject: re: rock key guy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:08 pm 
LOST Member

Rock Key Guy Rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:13 pm 

The "Rock Key" Rocks! ;)

Thanks for stopping by and confirming everything. Nice meeting ya.

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 pm 
LOST Addict

The ROCK Key Guy wrote:
2. There are actually 2 different types of immobilizer chips, 1) one for the "grey headed" Jeep keys, and 2) a toupe colored (which looks like grey) key that will work in-place of the new FBI keys. An FBI, Fixed Blade Integrated Key, is the key with the buttons built right into the head of the key.
3. We will be offering both types of immobilizer keys on AllThingsJeep.com by 8/29/05.

OK, so if I have the "Big Fat Key" ('05 with built-in remote buttons, this is your FBI key, right?), will I need to get a separate remote to get back the lock/unlock/flipper-glass-open/panic functions? Don't think I'll need Panic, but flipper-glass-open is cool.