It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing front Clevis bushing (aka lca outer bushing)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm looking at replacing the bushings on the front lower control arms that connect to the clevis fork at the same time as I put in my new lift (since things will be out of the way anyway). They're torn and I don't want that tired-and-busted touching the new-hotness of the lift.

The shop manual says to use:
8839 - threaded rod
8858-1 reciever
8858-3 driver
..and the pictures show a nice perfect fit to push the bushing in out.

I don't have the mopar tools (or any press tools for that matter) and am wondering what an appropriate after-market substitue is for that press set. I'd kinda like to only borrow (or buy) what I need to use. Does anyone have specifics on what they used?

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject: Re: Replacing front Clevis bushing (aka lca outer bushing)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See if a ball joint press kit from an AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. has the correct size adapters to fit the CA bushings. Basically a large C-clamp with adapters to fit a variety of ball joints, etc. Rent it for the day then return when you're done.

Bob

- Rubicon Moabs
- 4.10's, 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
- 4X Guard Trans Skid, Modded BoulderBars, Mopar Engine, T-Case, Tank Skids, ARB bumper, Smittybilt 9500XRC winch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm looking at doing this too. Let us know what you figure out. It would be nice if one of those kits you rent would work.

•Courtesy lights!
•Mopar Tow Hooks
•EVIC with homelink
•Boiler's Top Plates
•OME 927 & 948 RSX17004s and RSX17505s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Heck the OEM tools for the job don't work.I broke them in 30 seconds trying to do mine.I just did it the super easy way,I ordered brand new OEM LCA's with all 3 bushings already pressed in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would do that except I don't need to take anything off the LCA to put the lift on, and that's a lot to reassemble if I'm trying to knock out the job under a shade tree in an afternoon.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 am 
LOST Addict

Just for anyone who is trying to do this in the future, I figured out a pretty easy way to replace these bushings.

First get the clevis off however you like. There are lots of threads around on how to drop this.
You don't have to separate everything in the suspension to do this method, just enough to make some room.

Rent the ball joint press from autozone. People are right that this won't do it in one whack. It's just not big enough.

Start with a torch, and fire it through the center sleeve of the old clevis bushing. You don't want to light the rubber on fire here, you just want to soften the bond to the center sleeve. Now use the ball joint press with none of the cups or receivers it comes with. Just use it like a giant C clamp and drive out the center sleeve, preferably with an impact wrench. Should come out like a hot turd.

Now take a sawzall or similar and reach into the bushing. Cut upward through the rubber and just through the steel shell of the old bushing. This will make some smoke. Stop before you nick the control arm.

Next take a punch or big screwdriver and tap inward near your cut, to collapse the bushing shell a bit and make it easier to drive out.

Take a big socket (I used a 30mm impact socket) and small sledge and drive out what's left of the bushing. It will come out really easily if you have cut all the way through the shell.

Now drive the new bushing in to the same depth as the old one, using the socket and sledge. I oriented the bushing so the clevis bolt would not be pushing right down on the split in the center sleeve. You'll see what I mean.

All in all it took me about 1.5 hrs to figure out the first one, and the second one was out and in in 30 minutes. That was $25 in bushings as opposed to $400 - $600 in new arms.

Here is what the old ones look like, to give you an idea of what you'll be doing. I didn't stop to take pictures during the process because my hands were too dirty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 am 
LOST Addict

Long threaded rod a few thick washers the size of the bushing and a socket or piece of steel pipe larger then the bushing and 2 nuts. THread the rod through the bushing put a stack of the smaller washers and a nut on that side and the piece of pipe or socket on the other with a stack larger washers and a nut. Now crank the nut on socket or pipe side with a really large wrench with a cheater bar if needed. You can reinstall in the reverse order with the same set up if your careful. But I have done like troy and just replaced the whole thing with a crown model and just be done with it since you will need and alignment after the lift either way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:42 pm 
LOST Member

Apologies for an old thread revival, but I haven't been able to find the part number for the lca to clevis bushing. Anyone have it handy, or a source for it? I've got access to presses, so I'd prefer to replace just this as opposed to the whole lcas.
Thanks,
Jon

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 pm 

JieselDeep wrote:
Apologies for an old thread revival, but I haven't been able to find the part number for the lca to clevis bushing. Anyone have it handy, or a source for it? I've got access to presses, so I'd prefer to replace just this as opposed to the whole lcas.
Thanks,
Jon

Control Arm Bushing for Clevis mount: 52088746AA :google:
Plenty of them available....
Amazon, Rock Auto, and several others.... :wink:

No. 8 on the below diagram:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:12 am 
LOST Member

That's the one! Thanks!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 am 
LOST Member

Switch all the lca bushings to poly and it will ride better and if lifted it will align better

https://www.superpro.com.au/find/superp ... -999501263