It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty brakes life ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently went to my dealer for my 19 000km maintenance and I was told that the brakes were at 40% front et 50% back and that the disc were starting to rust ... I got a recommandation to have them changed next time. I find it a bit unuasual for such a low mileage car ( it's a 03 ) to have that kind of wear. Do any of you guys and gals had similar issues ?

Thanks!
Pat

Post subject: brakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

i just replaced mines(57K). Thats right, they lasted that long. Only reason I replaced them was because rotors looked pretty worn. The rears were the worse. Pads were worn to about an 1/8th and rotors pretty worn and rusted. Front were about more than 60% worn on pads and rotors were not bad . i was tight on money so i went to auto zone and with $150.... I got all the rotors and pads to replace. I could feel the difference allready. Later
Orlando

L.O.S.T. KJNE#395
tubular hitch + Warn shackle
tow hooks
Hella 500's
All J BB's
Silverstars
Bfg TA KO's 245/75/16
Mopar Skids
Rusty's tranny skid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 pm 

Mine is also an 03. I am at 35,000 miles and they still look pretty good. I'd guess I'll get 50-60K like the post above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:32 pm 
LOST Member

what are you running for tires? running larger (heavier) meats causes more brake pad wear than most people realize. since we are rather limited on max tire size, it shouldnt cause too much of a problem, but wear would be increased

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:39 pm 

I've been running 245/75/16 for the last 32,000 miles. I think driving habits has more to do with it than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:51 pm 
I live here
I live here

yep....city or mountain vs highway/rural and flat miles

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I do about 60% highway and 40% city. And still run the original tire size ( original tires in fact ... ). And usually, I tend to be very gentle on brakes. I never used them up so fast on my other previous cars ...

I was wondering a bit because I heard that the Liberty brakes were undersized for the vehicle.

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:36 pm 
LOST Member

OEM pads and shoes have always been 'softer' than their replacements.
The big reason is b/c the manufacturers don't want noisy brakes on a new vehicle.

Original pads and shoes wear out in accordance with the driving habits of the owners.

If your rotors are rusty, those brakes probably need adjusted.
In 4 wheel disc vehicles, simply pull on the e-brake a couple of times. This will adjust the rear discs for you.

KJKev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I e-brake each time I park, so that part should be good :)
As for replacement, I guess I'll go elsewhere than the dealer for better parts & prices. Do you have any recommendations for parts ? They estimated the cost to 350$ to replace everything (OEM parts ).

I'll wait until I change to winter tires I guess to get the job done ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm 
I live here
I live here

Are you comparing the brakes for the Liberty with other cars or even other compact to mid-size SUV's? Remember, the Liberty is a beast in weight and weighs around 1,000 pounds more than the Cherokee and a couple hundred more than the Grand Cherokee.....that's before adding mods. This all means faster brake wear.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:44 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I just replaced my rear pads on my '03 about a month ago at 42k. The rest of the parts are still fine. I'm not a gentle driver by any means and swap between mtr's and stock tires. Seems like they should have lasted you longer.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

CaKJFreedom wrote:
I just replaced my rear pads on my '03 about a month ago at 42k. The rest of the parts are still fine. I'm not a gentle driver by any means and swap between mtr's and stock tires. Seems like they should have lasted you longer.

Don't the front pads usually go first?

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

KJKev wrote:

In 4 wheel disc vehicles, simply pull on the e-brake a couple of times. This will adjust the rear discs for you.

KJKev

Kev, can you explain why this works? Also, my ebrake is pretty loose. I really have to crank on it to hold the vehicle still, even on a gentle slope... I think I messed it up when I wheeled with it on up a hill.. LOL .. any way to adjust that?

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject: brakes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed when i replaced the rotors(rear) that inside the rotors are shoes. im assuming these are for the ebrake, so you might of worn these or cause damage to them. The shoes are very very thin. then again you might get away with an adjustment.Later
Orlando

L.O.S.T. KJNE#395
tubular hitch + Warn shackle
tow hooks
Hella 500's
All J BB's
Silverstars
Bfg TA KO's 245/75/16
Mopar Skids
Rusty's tranny skid

Post subject: Brakes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

My one set of brake pads (front) seemed to wear out very fast. I do a lot of driving, so I figured that was why i went through the brakes that fast. After that set, I replaced them with ceramic brake pads, and after almost 30,000 miles on the ceramic set, it looks like they still have another 30,000 miles left on them. I would recommend ceramic pads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:15 am 
LOST Member

hoss75 wrote:
KJKev wrote:

KJKev

Kev, can you explain why this works? Also, my ebrake is pretty loose. I really have to crank on it to hold the vehicle still, even on a gentle slope... I think I messed it up when I wheeled with it on up a hill.. LOL .. any way to adjust that?

Automatic adjusters are not used with 4 wheel disc brake set ups. The adjustment was then put in the e-brake cable to the rear calipers.
If your e-brake is 'loose' it can be adjusted also. I'm not sure where on the Liberty tho. Someone with a service manual should be able to tell you tho.
KJKev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can say that I have 50k on my 03 Liberty. I do a lot of driving and live in a rural area. I had my brakes checked and the dealer told me that I had plenty left and only needed some minor maintenance. I drive my vehicle pretty hard and have been amazed that they lasted this long. Based on some of these posts though I am going to have them checked again on my next oil change to double check.

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:00 pm 
LOST Member

I just replaced my front pads this past weekend. They went about 47,000 miles. I checked the back brakes they still had over 50% left. So i cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. She'll stop on a dime and leave ya two nickles. :lol:

offroad package, pioneer head unit.
Rockfather I, LOST decal
LOST #040306