It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Change issues? any suggestions please
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I used to change the oil on my 00 Cherokee without incident. I just got killer deal on an 03 freedom edition and its time to change the oil. Since the dealer didn't kick in any service freebies (the discussion on my dealer if for another time/place) so I decided to change it myself. I got the old oil out and moved to the filter. This is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A** the positioning in relationship to the serpentine belt is less than intelligent. I couldnt get the filter wrench in there and trust me im not built like a gorilla. Has anyone else found a filter wrench of way of doing that is easier? I can get up from the bottom and I'm going to try something else. I think the dealer used some kind of 3 armed beast to put my filter on anyway.

OK sorry I kind of got on a rant I went to do this got halfway through and it started to pour so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
John
near Reading, PA
LOST #720
Red 03 Freedom KJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:53 pm 
LOST Member

Did you get it? you're right it's not easy to get to.. My last oil change I happened to have the radiator fan & shroud off for cleaning and found it easier to get to the filter. You may want to give it a try. The fan comes off very easily by removing the two top bolts then pulling up hard. Also, my first time changing the oil I thought that the oil draining out of the filter hole was going to go all over the place, but they put a little racway for the oil to flow down and it comes out through the hole in my front skid.

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Last edited by hoss75 on Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

The auto parts jooint near me didn't have the filter wrench that goes on the end. I am going to try some sandpaper as my gloves were a little oily earlier. If not the auto store guy suggested the good old screwdriver thru the filter trick. Hopefully the rain goes away and I can restart and finish the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

K9tuckers03KJ wrote:
The auto parts jooint near me didn't have the filter wrench that goes on the end. I am going to try some sandpaper as my gloves were a little oily earlier. If not the auto store guy suggested the good old screwdriver thru the filter trick. Hopefully the rain goes away and I can restart and finish the project.

I mangled the factory filter to the point where it looked like I used it for target practice. I tried 3 different styles of wrench and the screwdriver trick - no luck. Finally found a band type tool that compressed around the filter when used with a wratchet wrench.

I only hand tighten now, never need another tool.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm 
LOST Member

same thing here.. changed my oil since day one.. the first time i tried it.. i had to re-run back to advance auto and get a different filter wrench.. so i could get the $%$#(O*$# factory installed filter off.. tight as $##$#$.. so now i just hand tight like i used to w/my other cars.. done deal.. the first few times you will learn the easiest way for you.. i had a hard time just reaching up in there but after a few times now i can do it w/no probs.. i just get scratched by the rubber/plastic piece at the opening but no probs besides that.. actually i need to change the oil again :lol:

L.O.S.T. #123321

Post subject: I had an old filter wrench from my last car...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:23 pm 
LOST Member

that was a little loose. I put some (actually a lot) of rubber bands around the bottom of the filter to make it snug and to give a better grip. Between alternating by hand to wrench I finally loosened it up, but it was a b*tch.

Alpine head unit, Alpine Amps (40 x 4 + 500 x 1) 4 polk db650s and two 10" Polk subs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:17 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

I found a wrench for the end of the filter, attached a 6" extension to it and ratcheted it on out. No Probs.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used this tool http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3401A&mfrcode=FTL&mfrpartnumber=10606B12

It was on so tight that the round top weld broke off where the wrench hooks on. Needless to say I return that and got another. After a few hard tugs it finally came off.

I only hand tighten them now!

It is hard to get to and I prefer to do it from the top, using this type of tool it make it's a lot easier, may try this route to get that first one off or bite the bullet and take it to a service place this time.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:47 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

krazz1e wrote:
I used this tool http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3401A&mfrcode=FTL&mfrpartnumber=10606B12

It was on so tight that the round top weld broke off where the wrench hooks on. Needless to say I return that and got another. After a few hard tugs it finally came off.

I only hand tighten them now!

It is hard to get to and I prefer to do it from the top, using this type of tool it make it's a lot easier, may try this route to get that first one off or bite the bullet and take it to a service place this time.

Yeah that's the one I used. Also only supposed to be handtight; 3/4 to full turn.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I changed mine last weekend. I thought it was going to be a pain because of what I've heard in some past posts. Well I drained the oil, replaced the drain plug. I have the Mopar front skid so I thought I would probably have to take it off, but then I saw the holes in the skid, hey that's for the oil to drain, :idea: I have about 4 different filter wrenches so I got a couple that might work. First one no way, second one..worked. It's the kind that squeezes the filter as you turn it, it also pivots at the grip. (picture that in you head). I was able to fit both hands through the front right below the black plastic piece, I guess you call it a air dam shield thing. Anyways, I was able to get the filter wrench on it and remove it no problem. It tightened up the same way. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:36 pm 
I live here
I live here

That's why I bought a lifetime oil change with my dealer. Make them deal with the hassle. I check everything before I leave so they will be responsible if they screw something up.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did my first oil change when i was a service writer for a Midas. The filter was so flippen tight that it almost took an air-gun to take it off. Plus to add to the problem my forearm will not allow me to get to the filter. So needless to say I have had only the service stations do my oil change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:47 am 
LOST Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
That's why I bought a lifetime oil change with my dealer. Make them deal with the hassle. I check everything before I leave so they will be responsible if they screw something up.

I got 15 free oil changes when I bought my KJ from the dealer. So they've been doing it ever since, and yes I also check before I leave. I go into the parking lot somewhere and check the level of the oil. Didn't do it one time, checked it at home and was short about half a quart.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject: oil change
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:59 am 
LOST Member

Think that's bad, when I took my '04 in at 3,000 miles for the first change they put on a new filter and added 5qts of oil....DID NOT DRAIN PAN!! Found out 4 days later as we were driving down the hyway it started smoking, pulled over and checked dipstick, called the dealer on the spot to yell, went home and drained 9.5qts of oil from the pan!!!!

Better beleave I do my own oil changes now.

I use K&N oil filter # HP-2009 it has a 1" nut on the end of it to use a socket or wrench, much easier.
Mobil-1 synthetic 10W-30 too.