It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with check engine light (codes)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am getting two codes that are causing the check engine light to come on. They are P0442 (EVAP system medium leak) and P0455 (EVAP system large leak). I purchased and installed a new gas cap but the codes returned. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:07 pm 
LOST Member

Someone els found a dryrotted fuel return hoes was the cause.

Here is the link to that form:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1565

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:57 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Look for a loose gas cap.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:01 pm 
LOST Member

www.jeepkj.com ...

hmm.. has anyone seen the Bizzaro World episode if Sienfeld? That's what I felt like going to that site! I didn't even know there was another KJ forum!

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)

Post subject: Codes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok. I have been having some recent probs with my engine light. I also received the 0455 code (Large Evap leak). My KJ started to run like Sh** and then I got a 0304 code -- Misfire in cylinder #4. I checked my plug and coil pack for that cylinder and they're fine. Are the two codes related to the same problem? Is one causing the other? I have been battling this problem for about two weeks now. If that wasn't bad enough, this morning, my GF said that the heat would not work for approx. 15 minutes. What the hell is going on?? LOL. I think my Lib is self destructing. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:07 am 
LOST Member

tcas1355,

Check coolant levels/system. Heater issues usually seem to be related to the cooling system, specifically coolant levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK. I will check levels. I have been having issues with losing coolant, and I think it's the radiator. I think it's a leak in the drivers side area, I can see the steam marks on some plastic and my negative battery terminal is very corroded. There was a LOST member here with the same problem and they bought a 3-core radiator. Any ideas on where to get them? Is it a PITA to change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

The radiators in the KJ's tend to get a small leak near the top of the radiator on the driver's side. It's next to impossible to fix it. My mechanic found the 3 core aluminum radiator for me. He said it wasn't a very fun job to install it. Make sure you check your plugs for any red liquid on them. My engine had a defect in it that was making coolant leak into #4. Cost me around $4000 to fix all the damage when it failed at 4 years.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject: Coolant leak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Where was the coolant leaking in from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

The head gasket had small leak in it. The mechanic that did the original spark plug change before nitrous went on it didn't know the coolant was red. I wish he had. It was still under warranty at the time. It looks like the gasket went while it was running a 75 hp shot once the converter locked up in 3rd gear. It caused it to start missing on #4. With the Nitrous mix coming in, the exhaust valve went, the idiot lights came on, and the engine shutdown at 91 mph. Lost some valves, lifters, etc. Considering it was making over 300 hp, it's not too surprising that my damage was a little high.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...