It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another inch, and some 33's?!?! HELLO?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 am 
LOST Member

I see a few people saying that they got rid of their RRO OTT and actually sit about an inch higher? I have the RRO OTT lift, but I have an '04...I see eveyone saying stuff about "pre-lowered" but I have never read about all that so I dont know what's going on there? How high does your front fender (wheel well) sit now with the Rock Father, or other spring lifts and what size tires b/c i'm running a 265/75/16? If getting a spring lift will lift me another inch then I'll get that and thrown some 33's on my Renny. Do you think you got the extra inch from RockFather, or any other Spring Lift Specifically? Do you think that the Frakenlift, Skyjacker, or Rusty's Spring Lift would do the same? My front fender is barely over 36" right now and another inch and some 33's would really make me happy. Thanks for the info...

2004 Renny 4X4-Lifted on 32's!! IS NOW RETIRED
2.5" RRO OTT Lift & 32" BFG LT's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2205322

Last edited by FL RENNY on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Another inch, and some 33's?!?!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

FL RENNY wrote:
I see a few people saying that they got rid of their RRO OTT and actually sit about an inch higher? I have the RRO OTT lift, but I have an '04...I see eveyone saying stuff about "pre-lowered" but I have never read about all that so I dont know what's going on there? How high does your front fender (wheel well) sit now with the Rock Father, or other spring lifts and what size tires b/c i'm running a 265/75/16? If getting a spring lift will lift me another inch then I'll get that and thrown some 33's on my Renny. Do you think you got the extra inch from RockFather, or any other Spring Lift Specifically? Do you think that the Frakenlift, Skyjacker, or Rusty's Spring Lift would do the same? My front fender is barely over 36" right now and another inch and some 33's would really make me happy. Thanks for the info...

With any lift, if you go over 2.5 to 3 inches, you will start to encounter CV joint binding and all kinds of badness. The height itself isn't a problem, you can always find longer springs / springs and spacers, etc, you just run into problems once you get up that high. Look for posts by Jeepin Al, he has a 4-5" lift working after doing a lot of custom mods to account for the problems you hit when you lift that high.

So to answer your question: yes, if you change out the springs and keep the spacers from the over-the-top kit, you will get an insane amount of lift. But no, it will not last, you'll probably be replacing parts left and right until you go back down to a lift under 3" or so.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1664

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 am 
LOST Member

O NO NO NO I need to explain. I dont want to keep my OTT and go over that. THAT CRAZY lol
I was wondering if since now I have the RRO OTT and sit at 36", if i remove the RRO ORR and instally some type of spring lift...if I will then get an extra inch of lift? SQLibby stated in a forum that he removed his RRO OTT and installed a FrankenLift and got an extra inch (even though both kits were a 2.5" lift. So I was trying to figure out if I do the same as him..if I can then fit 33's since I allready have 32's on mine now. The only thing is, is that he has an '02 and mine is an '04?
Hope that clarifies the situation a little bit, sorry to be confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

FL RENNY wrote:
O NO NO NO I need to explain. I dont want to keep my OTT and go over that. THAT CRAZY lol
I was wondering if since now I have the RRO OTT and sit at 36", if i remove the RRO ORR and instally some type of spring lift...if I will then get an extra inch of lift? SQLibby stated in a forum that he removed his RRO OTT and installed a FrankenLift and got an extra inch (even though both kits were a 2.5" lift. So I was trying to figure out if I do the same as him..if I can then fit 33's since I allready have 32's on mine now. The only thing is, is that he has an '02 and mine is an '04?
Hope that clarifies the situation a little bit, sorry to be confusing.

How high was it sitting before you installed the OTT? (how much lift did you gain when you put it in?)

That is an interesting question. When a lift says 2.5", it's really more of an estimate and makes some assumptions. With a spacer lift, you are guaranteed that amount of lift, since it's physically adding that much height. With a spring lift, it depends a lot on what you had in there to begin with, because they are assuming that the 2.5" is compared to some nominal factory spring.

Since springs wear with time, and some jeeps have different springs (ie, pre-lowered has longer springs, CRD has stiffer springs), it's hard to tell what it will do.

If you have springs that sit lower than the average jeep, a spring lift will net you more lift than somebody who has springs that sit higher.

Judging by the typical post on the board, not many people have a tire larger than the 265/75R16 under their fender (and I believe none without major modifications, ie SFA), so I'd believe that you can't get much more lift than that. Post a photo of your CV angles and people will be able to give you an idea of how close to the limit you already are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You might want to look into buying a spare front diff housing too as it will not live long if you are wheeling on 33's. allyrand ran 265's on a Frankenlift and to get rid of All of the rubbing he did a lot of cutting of his wheel wells and completely removed both front and rear liners. Other than the good Look of the larger tires, I didn't see any real performance gains over those of us that are only running 245's. We all went the same places and wheeled just as hard as each other. It is also going to be tough to stuff 33's into the wheel wells w/out a lot of rubbing. The SFA KJ being built right now is actually running a slightly longer wheel base, partially to address that issue.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:11 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I don't think the front diff can handle the stress of 33" tires.

stupid front diff.

Edit: Dang JJ you jumped in fornt of my post. Oh well, I guess you give much more info.
Now stop fooling around and get back to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

FL RENNY wrote:
I was wondering if since now I have the RRO OTT and sit at 36", if i remove the RRO ORR and instally some type of spring lift...if I will then get an extra inch of lift?

Lots of people say the Frankenlift will net up to 3.5" of lift, but as Se7enLC said, it really depends on where your KJ sits from the factory - lots of factory springs are pretty saggy, so when the Frankenlift is installed, it'll look like you've gotten over 3" of lift, when it's really only 2.5" over the factory specs, ie what you read in the brochures, etc.

Honestly, unless I was going with a solid axle conversion, I think I'd rather stick with a more moderate tire size just to allow them to stuff better. More stuffing = better flex.

'04 TJ Sport - Solar Yellow, D44, stock for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

white04kj wrote:
...More stuffing = better flex.

And here I am thinking more stuffing = fatter belly... :?

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Read this, it should answer some of your lift questions:

http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift_faq.htm

Post subject: 2003 Lower from factory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I heard in 2003 the factory has lowered the body 1" from years before. So 2002 would sit 1" higher than 2003 before any lilfting..right? I can't wait to get a lift! I am still trying to figure out what kit to get for more bang for the buck.

Tracy

Chrome Brush Guard & Reese Front hitch
Custom Rear Hitch w/custom gas tank skid
Eng, Trans & Transfer Skids, K&N,Al's UCA,
Frankenlift II Premium, Rubicon Moab & GY MTR's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321458

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:16 am 
LOST Newbie

You could fit 33's under it, but you would actually lose wheel travel..

In the backend, you can't stuff larger than a 32" tire into the wheel well
opening without it hitting it sooner, so effectively you lose travel..

Darby actually cut his rear wheel wells bigger, but I don't remember the largest tire he ran with..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

Here is a pic of my CV angles......I appreciate the input. I am going to be posting a video of some noises I cant explain in the Pics section. I dont know how to post a video so if someone can PM me and let me know I'd really appreciate it. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

PS- this first pic I was a little low, so the second one I tried be be a little more "head on" or even..